Stereo System Options

Pretty much describes it. You can disconnect the battery and it does not care; keeps the settings. But the important point is that it is "on" only when the ignition key is on. So it does not drain the battery when the key is off. As to the question regarding if other Jensens do that or not, I do not know. But when I saw that feature I called my 30 year search to a halt.
I recall we discussed radio models in the past, but I do not remember which specific Jensen unit you have? I believe you had stated it was one that did not appear too offensive (compared to most modern ones)?

Funny we are discussing this...yesterday I found an issue starting one of my vehicles and apparently as a result the battery power got low enough to turn the stereo completely off. So today when I finally got the car started the stereo was blasing a bunch of static and I could not figure out how to turn it off! The buttons do not make any sense to me and I very rarely drive this vehicle so I don't remember how the damn radio works. I just started pushing buttons until something happened. o_O It's a JVC that I found to be much less offensive looking than most, but I can't stand how it works.

By the way, the reason for the 'no start' issue was due to yet another failed battery. And it was connected to a maintainer, so at first I thought the maintainer had failed (also a problem here, they don't last long). But I got out the multimeter and it had a full charge. However it would not supply enough current to crank the engine. Further testing and it has shorted despite being only a couple years old. In fact I was thinking it should still be within the warranty from CostCo. Although the CostCo battery warranty here in Vegas is a year less than in Calif or elsewhere...due to the extreme heat and frequent failures. So not luck on getting it covered. I hate living here.

Last edited:
I recall we discussed radio models in the past, but I do not remember which specific Jensen unit you have? I believe you had stated it was one that did not appear too offensive (compared to most modern ones)?
Yes,I provided info on the particular Jensen inthe fourth post in this thread.

I looked at the specs and description for the Jensen stereo mentioned above. It is specifically designed for harsh environments, although I'm not exactly sure what that means, which seems to be its main selling feature. It has a non-volatile memory as Don described. Plus it has an onboard backup battery to save functions not included in that non-volatile memory. These explain why it is able to retain all the settings when the power is disrupted.

The price seems to be fixed by the manufacturer; all sources list it for $185.

Jensen offers a couple versions in this line with different features. The specific one noted in a earlier post is the entry level unit. It has a 3.5mm AUX plug but no memory card slot or USB port. So you cannot load a flash drive with your music files directly into it. It also does not have BlueTooth. Therefore you would need to attach an external device with a cord to the AUX plug input. As you go up in the Jensen model range you can get those added features, for a price (they begin to get rather costly, roughly double the price of the entry model and up).

The onboard power output isn't a lot by today's standards (20W per channel nominal). If you need more then you'd have to connect the speaker outputs to a external amp that will accommodate "speaker level input", as there is no pre-amp output. Again, going up in the range of models offers more flexibility. However 20W is sufficient for a good speaker, if you don't listen to bass heavy music or at higher volume levels (both of which I prefer).

The style is nice for a modern radio unit, although definitely not "period correct" naturally. As we've discussed there aren't many good options for one that really looks the part for a 70's car. At least this one doesn't have a ton of bright disco lights everywhere. That's what attracted me to the JVC unit I noted in post #63, the lack of a obnoxious face, however I do not care for the JVC's controls/operation. One thing I noticed with the Jensens, with each higher model in the range the faceplate becomes more congested to accommodate the increased features. So the base model (discussed here) is the better looking of them.

I did not go through all of the individual controls. That's difficult to do with the limited information all stereo manufacturers offer in their literature. You pretty much need to buy one, install it, and try it for yourself to know how things work. Especially since retail stereo stores hardly exist anymore....in the past you could go to a local electronics store and play with all of the models on a display wall. From what I could see in the pics, the controls on this Jensen appear to be very typical of today's car stereos.

Overall it seems to be a good unit. Personally I want the ability to load my music directly into it without a cord attached to an external device. And ideally I'd like more power. So I'd have to pay the price for one of the upgraded models, which also isn't as clean looking. But depending on the individual needs of others, this entry model certainly can be a good choice.

The power ratings for car stereos can be misleading. See what the RMS power ratings are. If the 20 watts is RMS power per channel, it should be OK for an X as long as you are not expecting concert level sound.

Following on what I discussed in my last post (#65), for me and my personal preferences I still think a hidden unit of some type might be the better choice for my vintage vehicles.

As I've stated previously I'm not a huge fan of connecting my cell phone to the sound system via BlueTooth, etc. So I'd prefer a unit that will hold my digital music files internally, with a minimal control panel that isn't too intrusive in a vintage car. And for that matter, since I don't drive my vintage cars long distances (or much at all), then I really don't even need a radio or other input functions....my digital collection is fine.

Therefore the only controls I need on the dash are: power on/off, volume, and play/pause. And on the unit itself a direct memory input and a "random/shuffle" setting. Provided the memory allows a sufficient volume of material then I wouldn't require direct access to the unit's memory input very often. So it does not have to be directly on the dash, just somewhere that's not too deeply buried.

The power amp could be internal or external. With the compact electronics of modern amps it shouldn't be unreasonable to get a sufficient level of power with a internal (onboard) amp. That would keep things simple. As Don says we really don't need a ton of power for such a small interior. Most of my vintage vehicles only have one pair of speakers. I try to keep things looking clean and old school by not having a lot of speakers everywhere. And as much as I enjoy heavy bass (hard rock/heavy metal music), I do not have a subwoofer either. Typically a pair of very high end 6.5" two-way speakers is good enough for the limited time spent listening to these sound systems.

This is where the idea of modifying a original vintage dash-radio comes into play; by only using its primary control knobs to manage those limited functions discussed above, and possibly installing the actual hidden unit inside the chassis.

To reduce complexity, avoid unnecessary power drain, and keep everything compact, I'd love to find one unit that has all of this together - without the use of BlueTooth, a cell phone, or any extra cables. If the player, controls and amp were all on one small device, with intuitive easy to feel controls, then I could mount it in the glovebox like @lookforjoe did. However in the past I have not found anything that completes my list (although I have not looked recently).

Jeff, I think I know what you're looking for and I am in the same boat. Here is the unit I am planning to buy.

The look is good for the X1/9 especially the later models plus I get the modern features I want. Price is at an acceptable point and while Continental does not make it they will source a good unit if their name is on it and offer a 2 year warranty. Orange lighting is a fair match as well. Review are very good. Also big display charters for old eyes :)

I'm with you on the Blaupunkt, the Chinse company that bought it does not make the radios but sources them from various vendors so you never know what your getting. Stereo reviews have not been kind to their new stereos. This is not to say there is not a good one in the bunch but you need to really read the review and weed out the fake reviews with the Extension like FackSpot.

Jeff, I think I know what you're looking for and I am in the same boat. Here is the unit I am planning to buy.

The look is good for the X1/9 especially the later models plus I get the modern features I want. Price is at an acceptable point and while Continental does not make it they will source a good unit if their name is on it and offer a 2 year warranty. Orange lighting is a fair match as well. Review are very good. Also big display charters for old eyes :)

I'm with you on the Blaupunkt, the Chinse company that bought it does not make the radios but sources them from various vendors so you never know what your getting. Stereo reviews have not been kind to their new stereos. This is not to say there is not a good one in the bunch but you need to really read the review and weed out the fake reviews with the Extension like FackSpot.
Thanks for the reference. The overall appearance is kind of similar to the JVC I have, which was why I purchased it. As you say, it has a look that's not too out of place in a 80's Euro car. I guess the real test will be how it actually functions; how the menus work, how the controls feel, how intuitive everything is, etc. As with pretty much all of them these days you really don't get enough information to truly know until you buy and try it. If you decide to get one please offer some feedback after living with it a while.

Regarding the company that bought the Blaupunkt name. My understanding is they are the actual manufacturer of all their current products. Somewhere I have the name of the parent company and did some research on it. Cheap car stereos is their main product line. I also contacted their US headquarters...or I should say I tried to - after repeated attempts I finally got someone to answer the phone with a "hello" (not very professional). When I began to ask them a question they said (in broken English) "can't help" and hung up on me. I figured I had the wrong phone number but was able to verify it was correct. Horrible customer service to say the least. I have a contact in the car stereo world that owns one of the remaining high end custom installation shops in SoCal. He also backed up my impressions of the company and said to stay away from it.

If you want a real Volvo radio, I may still have one in the basement from my 240. Only issue is that it is AM only.

Missed this earlier - many thanks, however that probably weighs more than my entire dashboard 🤪

For the X1/9, I bought this to replace the JVC in the X - main criteria was size, and actual buttons for main requirements, so no idea at all regarding quality

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 1.54.59 PM.png

It's funny about the factory stock "AM-only" radios that came in most cars of the 80's, 90's, and even 2000's. They tend to be very large and extremely heavy as @lookforjoe said. Especially given the upgraded systems that were offered with CD players and all sorts of features were smaller and much lighter. o_O

Missed this earlier - many thanks, however that probably weighs more than my entire dashboard 🤪

For the X1/9, I bought this to replace the JVC in the X - main criteria was size, and actual buttons for main requirements, so no idea at all regarding quality

View attachment 69307
Please provide a link or additional information, I'd like to look into it further.

I like the dial for the main control. And the front access to onboard media input. A simple row of push buttons that you could get to know well enough to activate without looking. Seems to be a good candidate for my particular needs.

This would be perfect for mounting inside the glovebox.

Maybe five or so years ago I tried two or three units that were somewhat similar. Back then they were commonly referred to as "mechless", a reference to the complete lack of mechanical operations....no cassette, no CD, no moving tuner dial, etc. Just a electronic FM tuner and digital music player. The ones I found at that time were extremely inexpensive and extremely poor quality. One was DOA, another lasted a day, yet another only worked with limited capability. But I liked the concept; a self contained digital music player with all controls and power amp in one small package. Hopefully they have improved significantly since then overall, I'm sure there are much better ones than what I found (the concept of such a player was new then).

Last edited:

I did a little researching on that VDO unit.
The description says it has "permanent storage of settings (battery backup)". I'm not sure if that means a non-volatile memory like Don described or just a onboard battery (which would have a limited lifespan).
The built-in amp has decent power.
Also most listings say the connection harness is not included and sold separately. However some sources include it. The best price I found online was $92 with free ground shipping (including the harness):

And another source for $104 plus $13 shipping:

Interestingly many of the sources I saw were marine supply stores.

I did a little researching on that VDO unit.
The description says it has "permanent storage of settings (battery backup)". I'm not sure if that means a non-volatile memory like Don described or just a onboard battery (which would have a limited lifespan).
The built-in amp has decent power.
Also most listings say the connection harness is not included and sold separately. However some sources include it. The best price I found online was $92 with free ground shipping (including the harness):

And another source for $104 plus $13 shipping:

Interestingly many of the sources I saw were marine supply stores.
I read one review that said when they disconnected the battery and reconnected it later the setting remained. How that is accomplished I did not see. I do know there are two power feeds one from ignition and one from the batteryt direct. There are a couple of YouTube review which provide some answers I was looking for. Also down loaded the manual to review settings. Given the single small bar they seemed to be average complexity but I will key a function path card in my glove box because I will not remember them all.

The Keys for me are good sound quality, Bluetooth, USB MP4 Play and a random play capability. Of course also a look that does not make it look like it fell off a alien space ship. The two areas I am disappointed in are no USB chagrin and no dimming of the main LED display, buttons dim but not the screen. That is goofy.

The Vendor on Amazon will send you a wire harness plug with the purchase but you'll pay a little more for it. That becomes a personal decision.

As for Blaupunkt I had read the information I provided from a rating of the various car stereo manufactures from a site that deals with car stereos and reviewing them. Can't remember the site as the was a few years ago.

I read one review that said when they disconnected the battery and reconnected it later the setting remained. How that is accomplished I did not see. I do know there are two power feeds one from ignition and one from the batteryt direct. There are a couple of YouTube review which provide some answers I was looking for. Also down loaded the manual to review settings. Given the single small bar they seemed to be average complexity but I will key a function path card in my glove box because I will not remember them all.

The Keys for me are good sound quality, Bluetooth, USB MP4 Play and a random play capability. Of course also a look that does not make it look like it fell off a alien space ship. The two areas I am disappointed in are no USB chagrin and no dimming of the main LED display, buttons dim but not the screen. That is goofy.

The Vendor on Amazon will send you a wire harness plug with the purchase but you'll pay a little more for it. That becomes a personal decision.

As for Blaupunkt I had read the information I provided from a rating of the various car stereo manufactures from a site that deals with car stereos and reviewing them. Can't remember the site as the was a few years ago.
I did not realize you had already purchased this unit. Nice review, thanks.

I agree, it is a bit odd the display panel does not dim with the buttons. Not having USB charging isn't a deal breaker, as you can easily set up a separate charger through a number of ways. Please report again after spending some time living with it.

Please provide a link or additional information, I'd like to look into it further.

I like the dial for the main control. And the front access to onboard media input. A simple row of push buttons that you could get to know well enough to activate without looking. Seems to be a good candidate for my particular needs.

This would be perfect for mounting inside the glovebox.
Ebay link

You can use a micro SD card up to 32G, so that would work for your music collection...

Another with back up camera option - clean looking interface also

Last edited:
Ebay link

You can use a micro SD card up to 32G, so that would work for your music collection...

Another with back up camera option - clean looking interface also
The unit shown in the "Ebay link" (SWM-80A) is rather interesting. It claims a power output of 4 x 60 watts using a TDA7388 amplifier module. Looking at the TDA7388 data sheet, the minimum guaranteed maximum output per channel when driven with a square wave is 37 watts. If you actually want to listen to audio, you can get 22 watts per channel at 10% harmonic distortion (not good). If you want it to sound decent, you can get 0.15% harmonic distortion at 4 watts per channel. So, the 240 watts ends up at 16 watts if you want good sound.

The unit shown in the "Ebay link" (SWM-80A) is rather interesting. It claims a power output of 4 x 60 watts using a TDA7388 amplifier module. Looking at the TDA7388 data sheet, the minimum guaranteed maximum output per channel when driven with a square wave is 37 watts. If you actually want to listen to audio, you can get 22 watts per channel at 10% harmonic distortion (not good). If you want it to sound decent, you can get 0.15% harmonic distortion at 4 watts per channel. So, the 240 watts ends up at 16 watts if you want good sound.

OK - so an amp of some sort would be a good move then. Volvo 3533004 is a small 4x20W (Mitsubishi?) amp that I can fit, I have a couple..
Thank you for the information!

PXL-20210510-204411296.jpg

Well there are about a million combinations of desires and needs for these media players, but my thinking is pretty simple. I have an extensive collection of digital media and plenty of bluetooth devices, BUT when I am in the X I am usually just enjoying driving it and need only basic media playing. Besides there is little room for a collection of speakers and currently some pretty good sound can be had with quality smaller speakers. Hence, I went with the basic radio with electrial-and mental health- friendly qualities. Now in some of my other vehicles, things are a bit different....

I did not realize you had already purchased this unit. Nice review, thanks.

I agree, it is a bit odd the display panel does not dim with the buttons. Not having USB charging isn't a deal breaker, as you can easily set up a separate charger through a number of ways. Please report again after spending some time living with it.
Actuarily I just ordered the unit late yesterday, My belated Xmass gift. I had been researching radios for a few weeks and settled on this unit. Everything I am telling you is from my research from reading reviews, watchin reviews. reading users comments, ect....) I'll likly not have it in til late spring. My X1/9 project work list for spring is already pretty full with tasks that will get the car on the road. The radio is a "want" not a "need".

Back