What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Getting close, exhaust hung.....have to finish wiring the AF gauge, fab the throttle linkage, then hopefully fire her up.....

1006181106.jpg 1006181106a.jpg

I thought about it.....and came to the conclusion that I am a bad person......

It's Wednesday...I should be at work. Called off, my 6 yr old had a bit of a sore throat...
Top it off that today is my wedding anniversary......

....and I sneak out to the garage to finish the throttle linkage and get the fuel line mounted. Lol

1010181137.jpg

It's that time of year in New England...today I will take my X for one last ride before winter storage. I put over 1500 miles on it this summer, in which the car never ran so well. All my improvements were running perfectly and gave me great joy. I already look forward to April...

By comparison, we are just beginning our driving season here; finally cool enough to enjoy things like open top cars, motorcycles, outdoor life, etc. Unfortunately it is only for a couple of months before the brutal heat returns, and there are SOOO many other outdoor tasks that need to be done while you can. Not the least of which is working on car projects that must be done outside.

Finally finished the master cylinders!
Had to remove, clean and swap out the plastic nipples from the old MC, because the ones that came with the new MC (from MWB) were the wrong size.
They were the same as the smaller dia. used for the clutch MC. Took off a little rust that was here and there, and repainted the pedal assembly while I had it out. Didn't have to remove the steering wheel. I took Hussein's advice and just tie wrapped it up to the side. Despite my best efforts, I did manage to spill quite a bit of brake fluid on the mat, but fortunately I was able to clean it up before it migrated to the carpet.
Brake.jpeg
Clutch.jpeg
Finished-Painted.jpeg

Installed my new windshield!! Hard to find someone to just install but I found Paul’s Autoglass. Paul did a great job. One more item off the list.

Attachments

• 0D7DBA6C-5A96-4228-8935-FE3227DD525F.jpeg
    0D7DBA6C-5A96-4228-8935-FE3227DD525F.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 116
  • B0066745-96C9-4E69-B1B3-5A32CC3D9008.jpeg
    B0066745-96C9-4E69-B1B3-5A32CC3D9008.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 116
  • C8F7D660-2989-478C-B57D-C51F380C5C1A.jpeg
    C8F7D660-2989-478C-B57D-C51F380C5C1A.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 115
Pulled my car into the work garage for it's annual, in this case biennial, tear down.

Had a lot of oily dirt all over the trans and figured it was a leak gasket or seal.
When I wiped away about a half inch of dirt saw a weird leak about a quarter inch above the drain plug.

There was no visible crack, it just looked like it was sweating through the metal.

Pulled the motor and trans and pulled the housing off the later.

After I cleaned the leak area more I still couldn't see a crack so took the tig and melted the area.
Everything is back together and filled with lube.

So far after sitting two and a half days there is no sign of a leak.
IMG_6323.JPG

After I cleaned the leak area more I still couldn't see a crack
Did the area look like there was any erosion or corrosion? Sometimes cast alloys like this will eat away over time. It might look something these spots (although these might not actually be from that):
IMG_6323.JPG

It could also be corroded from the inside, causing porous areas.

No corrosion, just a lot of rocks.
When I took the trans apart I couldn't see any crack from inside and everything looked good.

When it comes to roads Arkansas is like a third world country.
"You Know you live in Arkansas when the directions to your house says turn onto the dirt road."

Over the years I have taken a couple good hits from underneath.

Instead of lowering my X19 I should have Baja'd it and installed a skid plate.
Either that or slow down to 5 mph no wake speed.

When it comes to roads Arkansas is like a third world country.
"You Know you live in Arkansas when the directions to your house says turn onto the dirt road
."
Heh, heh! I like that!
Hey, you need to have a look at some of our so-called "roads" down here in New Zealand! :eek:
There are some roads that look more like goat-tracks - you wonder if your car will get to the end of the road in one piece - or not!!

cheers, IanL - NZ

I replaced my interior routed heater pipe with 5/8" rubber hose. I did a write up in the workshop forum with pics! Should be a good work around fix. Replacing all of my coolant pipes and the external heater pipe with 304SS pipes purchased from B&M racing. Now I should be able to get this car running reliably for many years to come!

I was going to pull the rack and replace the worn bushing. But its turning out to be a great fall day. I figure I'll have time later with winter coming. So I warmed up my Italian friend. I think he's in the mood to sing.:)
20181103_095504.jpg

Sorry, this was yesterday. It was so nice I think I'm gonna do it again today!

Back