What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

A satin black finish seems correct from what mine look like.

Some swear by SEM Satin Black, it likely isn’t available there...

What was the original paint finish on these covers ? Matt black, satin ? Top coats with matt lacquer over black. Perhaps a baked finish ?
Too many years since I saw a original new one, but they were a little bit matt if I remember correctly. -Certainly not glossy. But it will look good if you go for matt satin black and then vax it

Finished up a sort of lengthy project, the overall goal of which was replacing the fuel pump and the rusted-out steel hard lines that run to and from the fuel rail. All told, I ended up replacing:
  • Braided hose from tank to fuel pump
  • Fuel pump bracket (sheared a bolt trying to remove the rubber stand-off mounts)
  • Fuel pump rubber stand-off mounts and rubber insulating strap
  • Fuel pump itself (old one still worked, but is 40 yrs. old!)
  • Braided hose from pump to filter
  • Filter rubber stand-off mounts (one was totally shot) and strap
  • Braided hose from filter to hard line
  • Inlet hard line
  • Braided hose from pressure regulator(?) to hard line
  • Return hard line
  • Braided hose from hard line to tank
  • All the plastic clips holding the hard lines to the body
Finally got it all back together today, and it works! I'm always sort of shocked and pleasantly surprised when that's the case.

Please tell me you added a filter here (highly recommended, to save your new pump)?
I did think about it, but didn't end up doing so... My thinking was that I just installed a brand-new gas tank and sending unit a few months ago, so this part of the car is basically brand-new. And the brand-new OEM system lasted for 40 years, sans pre-pump filter. What do you think--still worth adding one? I guess it would be easy enough.

I did think about it, but didn't end up doing so... My thinking was that I just installed a brand-new gas tank and sending unit a few months ago, so this part of the car is basically brand-new. And the brand-new OEM system lasted for 40 years, sans pre-pump filter. What do you think--still worth adding one? I guess it would be easy enough.
Sadly fuel supplies from gas stations are not always very clean. And things like the gas cap or tank vent may allow some dirt inside over time. It is worth adding a pre-pump filter regardless of how new things are. There is a small screen inside the pump. It can collect enough junk to restrict it and cause the pump to over work, until finally it's not able to supply enough fuel. A costly repair compared to the price of a filter. This side of the pump has suction, not pressure. So even a inexpensive inline filter will work fine here. Therefore you can simply cut the flex hose and add one easily.

The WIX 33001 also works well and filters down to 12 microns. About $5. Whatever you get, check the filtration rating. Some don't specify it. I was using a Fram filter that let all sorts of crap through the fuel pump. Fortunately, I had a 33001 on the other side of the pump which saved the carbs. Now, I just use a 33001 on both sides of the fuel pump (OEM mechanical pump).

The prefilter only needs to get the big stuff, the main FI filter will take care of all the rest. You are just trying to save the pump from getting clogged. The main FI filter does an excellent job and has significant capacity.

Thanks to my friend who is working on my X remotely for me....

Attachments

• image000000-3.jpg
    image000000-3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image000000-5.jpg
    image000000-5.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 112
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 104
Finished up my fuel-line + fuel-pump replacement project by installing a Wix inline filter between the tank and the pump. Thanks, @Jefco , for flagging the issue, and to @kmead , @dllubin , and @Bjorn Nilson for additional info. This was actually kind of a fun way to finish off the project, since the fuel system is now, at least in a couple of ways, *better* than it was when it left the factory floor. NiCopp lines won't rust, and it has a pre-pump filter.

Figured I'd tackle a nice, *easy* project and replace the O2 ("Lambda") sensor. Along the way, I figured I'd do some surface-rust repair on the FI manifold cooling fan bracket in the trunk. (There's always some rust somewhere along the way.) And then I went to remove the sensor itself, which was when the fun started. First off, it seems to require a big wrench--bigger than a 19mm anyway, which is the biggest one I had on hand. After letting the PBlaster soak for an hour or so, I tried getting a crescent wrench on it and banging on that with a hammer... Nothing. I'll let it soak overnight and buy a big-enough box-end wrench tomorrow. (What is that, anyway, like a 21mm?)

I feel like I learn something every time I work on this car. Tonight's primary lesson: never assume anything will be easy. Secondary? I have a sneaking suspicion I replaced the sensor back in high school without putting anti-seize on the threads, so secondary is always apply anti-seize to something that might sit in place for 20 years.

Back