What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

buy a big-enough box-end wrench tomorrow
Consider getting a really big "Cressent" (adjustable) wrench. They tend to have large wide jaws that reduce the chance of slipping, and being able to adjust it tight onto the sensor reduces the chance of rounding it off. Plus the handle is nice and big. This way you'll also have it for other odd sized, large fasteners when needed.

O2 sensors do tend to get frozen on, so you might even need to apply some heat to it.

Well, after gathering parts and generally putzing around for two years, I kicked my K20 swap project into high gear this weekend and started hacking the car up.
The cutting is pretty intimidating, but thanks to the excellent posts by the K-swappers on the forum I have lots of examples to go by.
Hopefully I can get the powertrain on the cradle and test fitted for clearance next weekend. I have been really conservative on the cuts to the box sections of the chassis on either side and I'm sure that I will have to take more out in spots, but I figure it's better to go lightly at first so I don't cut away more than necessary.

Attachments

• 20210324_013200.jpg
    20210324_013200.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 122
Well, after gathering parts and generally putzing around for two years, I kicked my K20 swap project into high gear this weekend and started hacking the car up.
The cutting is pretty intimidating, but thanks to the excellent posts by the K-swappers on the forum I have lots of examples to go by.
Hopefully I can get the powertrain on the cradle and test fitted for clearance next weekend. I have been really conservative on the cuts to the box sections of the chassis on either side and I'm sure that I will have to take more out in spots, but I figure it's better to go lightly at first so I don't cut away more than necessary.
You should start your own thread for your build. Welcome to the swap club. I wonder how many K20/24 swaps have been done to date? Seems like a lot in progress lately.

Tackled some fun, easy projects today, thanks to some replacement parts from @DougESmith. Replaced my beer-tap shift knob with one in better shape, same as to gas cap, and same as to dogbone engine mount.

Before I throw these out, is anybody interested in any of them at the low low price of zero? Free if you pay shipping. I'd note that the plastic face on the shift knob is a bit cloudier in real life than this picture makes it look. If not, I'll chuck 'em, but figured I'd check first.

1616892036504.png

Tried a very short drive with the dog in the passenger seat and the top off (harnessed, securely fastened to the seat belt).

Today I started a couple of preparations for the upcoming car season.
Last year the stock radiator turned out inefficient with the tuned UT engine, so I decided to go for an aluminum radiator and dual fans instead. Surprisingly this approach also saves a lot of weight. Stock radiator is 10.3kg and the alu is just 5.6 kg including fan(s)😊. The new radiator didn't fit 100% as it turned out that it is 10mm taller than stock, so I need to lower it a little bit. I also need to weld on tabs for fastening the IC heat exchanger and included tabs didn't fit the aftermarket fans.
1617297606263.png

I also prepared the roof for carbon fiber so I shaved off a millimeter from it. I will use the roof as a plug and remove most of existing material from it once the CF skin has been casted. I have big expectations for weight savings when ready as I lost a kilo just by shaving it.
I have still not decided about the wing but made plugs for carbon fiber stands as well. Carbon fiber and resin etc has been ordered but delivery is delayed due to Covid. I am looking forward to start working with it, hopefully next week. Carbon fiber fabrication is new to me.
1617299303312.png

It is also time for MOT and I need to temporarily remove 140-150hp to pass inspection. I found a very "soft* wastegate that probably will remove the issue. Most likely a temporary "MOT ECU mapping* is needed as well.

Today I started a couple of preparations for the upcoming car season.
Last year the stock radiator turned out inefficient with the tuned UT engine, so I decided to go for an aluminum radiator and dual fans instead. Surprisingly this approach also saves a lot of weight. Stock radiator is 10.3kg and the alu is just 5.6 kg including fan(s)😊. The new radiator didn't fit 100% as it turned out that it is 10mm taller than stock, so I need to lower it a little bit. I also need to weld on tabs for fastening the IC heat exchanger and included tabs didn't fit the aftermarket fans. View attachment 45606

I also prepared the roof for carbon fiber so I shaved off a millimeter from it. I will use the roof as a plug and remove most of existing material from it once the CF skin has been casted. I have big expectations for weight savings when ready as I lost a kilo just by shaving it.
I have still not decided about the wing but made plugs for carbon fiber stands as well. Carbon fiber and resin etc has been ordered but delivery is delayed due to Covid. I am looking forward to start working with it, hopefully next week. Carbon fiber fabrication is new to me.
View attachment 45608

It is also time for MOT and I need to temporarily remove 140-150hp to pass inspection. I found a very "soft* wastegate that probably will remove the issue. Most likely a temporary "MOT ECU mapping* is needed as well.
I found the same issues with a aluminum radiator for the X. Keep an eye on it for leaks, especially after a few months of use.

Looking forward to your CF projects. These tops are very heavy. We've had discussions in the past about alternatives, but I think remaking it in CF is the best approach.

You might be able to just lock the existing wastegate open for the MOT test (disconnect the rod and safety wire the pivot open), but you would need a compatible tune for it to run right. Especially if part of the MOT includes emissions testing (not sure if it does there).

Has anyone using the aluminum rad done comparison weights? Stock car wet, vs aluminum rad car wet?
I can believe that the aluminum rads is lighter, but is it also "larger" internally? I've got an aluminum rad on on of my cars. I had the engine out recently and found that when I reinstalled the engine and refilled the cooling system that it took a lot more coolant than the stock system did. (Per the manual.) Like a gallon and a half to two extra gallons. 😛 Thats a lot of extra weight. I like the idea of having the extra coolant, but does the extra coolant "outweigh" 😉 the lower weight of the aluminum rad?

You might be able to just lock the existing wastegate open for the MOT test (disconnect the rod and safety wire the pivot open), but you would need a compatible tune for it to run right. Especially if part of the MOT includes emissions testing (not sure if it does there).
Maybe I can set my WG completely open but I don't think this is the best option. The boost controller cannot adjust boost lower than WG spring rate (1 bar) but I've found a WG that is soft like a rubber band so I think that will do the trick. But s new tune is probably needed for it to work as expected. Even if the car has no CAT they do emissions tests during MOT. Open crank case ventilation is s big No No, so I need to fix that, but otherwise I don't expect any complaints. With all the modern stuff I put on it, I believe the engine is very "green", even compared some modern cars.

Has anyone using the aluminum rad done comparison weights? Stock car wet, vs aluminum rad car wet?
I can believe that the aluminum rads is lighter, but is it also "larger" internally? I've got an aluminum rad on on of my cars. I had the engine out recently and found that when I reinstalled the engine and refilled the cooling system that it took a lot more coolant than the stock system did. (Per the manual.) Like a gallon and a half to two extra gallons. 😛 Thats a lot of extra weight. I like the idea of having the extra coolant, but does the extra coolant "outweigh" 😉 the lower weight of the aluminum rad?
Compared radiators today:

Stock rad incl a single fan
Capacity: 1,5 l (0,396 gal)
Weight (wet): 11,15 kg (25,353 lb)
Aluminum rad with 2 fans
Capacity: 2,0 l (0,528 gal)
Weight (wet): 7,10 kg (15,653 lb)

The aluminum radiator should be the best for both efficiency and weight reduction -4,05 kg / 8,929 lb.

Compared radiators today:

Stock rad incl a single fan
Capacity: 1,5 l (0,396 gal)
Weight (wet): 11,15 kg (25,353 lb)
Aluminum rad with 2 fans
Capacity: 2,0 l (0,528 gal)
Weight (wet): 7,10 kg (15,653 lb)

The aluminum radiator should be the best for both efficiency and weight reduction -4,05 kg / 8,929 lb.
You’re running which engine? And at what temperature do you start to become concerned with a X1/9? With a brand new, aluminum radiator and dual-fans, I was stuck in a drive thru line yesterday, watching the temp. gauge slowly creep upward....

Last edited:
watching the temp. gauge slowly creep upward
If this is happening it means your cooling system is not up to spec. When everything in the system is working correctly, and of suitable capacity for your particular needs, then it will maintain a even temperature regardless of the situation. Suggest you start diagnosing the system until you find the weak link(s), and make the necessary repairs before it overheats.

If this is happening it means your cooling system is not up to spec. When everything in the system is working correctly, and of suitable capacity for your particular needs, then it will maintain a even temperature regardless of the situation. Suggest you start diagnosing the system until you find the weak link(s), and make the necessary repairs before it overheats.
Interesting, especially if you saw the master mechanic overhaul the complete cooling system, rad, fans, hoses, tank, thermostat...the only thing which isn’t new are the “stainless steel” pipes. I was thinking that sitting while idling for 12 minutes, where there was no wind at all, would naturally result in a few degrees elevation. Every now and then the rad fans would turn on. Here’s what happened in eight minutes, too much?
2345651B-1978-4FD9-BED4-B2A128FC6DB5.jpeg
ED7D2CC5-84D3-4E53-B43B-C8F5124B9CB9.jpeg

Don't rely on the stock temp gauge, they are not accurate nor dependable.
If the temp elevates when sitting still then the radiator fan(s) is not drawing enough airflow across the rad (assuming the rad is good).
Just because the stock system has been rebuilt does not mean the cooling system is adequate for your particular needs.

If the temp elevates when sitting still then the radiator fan(s) is not drawing enough airflow across the rad (assuming the rad is good).
Just because the stock system has been rebuilt does not mean the cooling system is adequate for your particular needs.
Well, if ‘particular needs’ means stuck in traffic from time to time, or a drive-thru, then yes, I’d certainly expect a rebuilt system to handle those situations. Who wouldn’t? Where’s the best place to take the engine temp, using what tool, and what temperatures are classified as too high? Of all the things they updated, this one (cooling system) seemed like a slam-dunk, lol.

I have the stock sensor/gauge and a separate temp sensor connected to ECU but they show about same temp so I find the stock gauge quite accurate actually. But this probably varies from car to car.
@tvmaster I have a 240hp Uno Turbo engine and I have no heat problems during normal driving conditions or idling for a long time. Temp is steady at normal 90 degrees C. But when pushing hard on track for 15-20 mins the engine temp tends to slowly go too high (=>100 degrees C). So obviously the cooling capacity is not enough for that kind of powerful engine.

I have the stock sensor/gauge and a separate temp sensor connected to ECU but they show about same temp so I find the stock gauge quite accurate actually. But this probably varies from car to car.
@tvmaster I have a 240hp Uno Turbo engine and I have no heat problems during normal driving conditions or idling for a long time. Temp is steady at normal 90 degrees C. But when pushing hard on track for 15-20 mins the engine temp tends to slowly go too high (=>100 degrees C). So obviously the cooling capacity is not enough for that kind of powerful engine.
90c, so about 195f. Close enough, but if it shouldn’t increase during long idles, then I guess mine does. Hmmm.

If this:
index.php

is as high as it goes, you do not have a problem. On some newer cars the gauge is rigged, so it stays smack in the middle over a wide range of actual temperatures. Not so with the X1/9, it gives you the raw, unadulterated data.

When the fan kicks in, do you see the temperature starting to drop? How long does the fan stay on? When I got my car, the fans would short cycle, staying on only for a second or so at a time. Replacing the broken thermoswitch solved that problem.

Last edited:
Back