What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

This time held it with an engine hoist and lowered onto a rolling cart. Then lifted the body out of the way on the lift. Reversed to install. It was pretty painless but still a two person job to make it easier.

I trusted it enough to go out to the gym at 12am in it, without a phone (because mine broke today). That may not sound very brave but considering that it is most definitely a work in progress, its a bit different. As usual, the awesome little car didn't let me down. It's only had to come to a halt on the side of the road twice, both times for simple 10 second fixes related to Ljet connectors.

I'll add a regular question to this discussion :D
Was it possible to take 5speed gearbox out, keeping engine inside?

You can remove just the trans but imo it is easier to take the engine and tranny at the same time. When you put everything back it is easier to align the gear box and engine when reconnecting. All in all, it entails a lot less crawling around on the floor and kinking of the neck.

Two weeks ago today I made and installed smoked plastic sun visors. Only problem so far is seeing the reflection of the right hand windshield post on the shiny visor, in the corner of my eye making me think the visor had dropped down.

I removed all of the metal coolant tubes from one of my X's; the two large 'radiator' ones in the lower tunnel and the two smaller 'heater' ones in the upper/lower tunnels. For the large ones I tried the method suggested by Ulix - cut off the rear ends where they stick through the tunnel, then twist and pull them out from the front. Worked excellent. No alteration to the tunnel at all and had them out in less than half an hour. The smaller heater pipes were much more difficult and took at least twice as long to do.

Replacing them will not happen for a while while I take care of several other items first.

Last edited:
I removed all of the metal coolant tubes from one of my X's; the two large 'radiator' ones in the lower tunnel and the two smaller 'heater' ones in the upper/lower tunnels. For the large ones I tried the method suggested by Ulix - cut off the rear ends where they stick through the tunnel, then twist and pull them out from the front. Worked excellent. No alteration to the tunnel at all and had them out is less than half an hour. The smaller heater pipes were much more difficult and took at least twice as long to do.

Replacing them will not happen for a while while I take care of several other items first.
did you take any pics?

Yes, but as @dragonsgate says, it will be much easier to align the transmission while everything is on the ground. But there are others reason to keep the engine in. In my case, there were some other parts, including the exhaust downpipe, I didn't wanted to remove.

Yes, but as @dragonsgate says, it will be much easier to align the transmission while everything is on the ground. But there are others reason to keep the engine in. In my case, there were some other parts, including the exhaust downpipe, I didn't wanted to remove.
I haven’t tried to take engine out through bottom. But through top I have to take off also turbo, manifolds and alternator for easier job, bit I don’t want to do that 😬

If it could go out through bottom without taking off suspension arms or manifolds that would be excellent. But then again I need a lift.

Didn't take into account all the spaghetti exhaust and other fancy furnishings some of you add onto your mills but still advocate removing the whole shebang as a unit.

I haven’t tried to take engine out through bottom. But through top I have to take off also turbo, manifolds and alternator for easier job, bit I don’t want to do that 😬

If it could go out through bottom without taking off suspension arms or manifolds that would be excellent. But then again I need a lift.
But I assume you used an engine lift?
It can be used to lift the car as well. The bumper bolts can be used from inside trunk. But left control arm/suspension must be removed as you say:
IMG_20200505_105537.jpg

I think going underneath is easier overall. The exhaust and other accessories should be able to remain on the engine if you unbolt the subframe ("crossmember") instead of the lower engine mount - so it all goes out as a unit. But removing one side of the suspension (strut and A-arm) will make it easier by allowing the car to be raised much less. You can leave that brake caliper connected and just move it out of the way. To really make it convenient you will make some sort of hoist/stand to hold the car up (once you've lifted the rear end) so the engine lift can then be used to lower the drivetrain - or vice versa, use the hoist to lower the drivetrain while the engine lift holds the car.

cool. what's going on just out of frame to the right, the actual lift?
Yes, most of the lift is not caught in picture.
Also, I had the cross member mounted on engine, lowered the car over the engine. When in correct position I bolted cross member and upper engine mount.
As the back end of the car is hanging freely, it is very easy to fine tune the position during final fitting.

Last edited:
Stress test for the cooling system, yesterday. Drove a mix of city and a total of about 3 hours of highway during the hottest day of the year, so far. 91 degrees F. Cool as a cucumber on the highway. (at or under the halfway mark on the gauge at a constant 4200 rpm) Crept up a little over the halfway mark during slow downs and stop lights, but the fan kicked on as it should and cooled her down right away. Bonus was, our destination was a family party down the Jersey Shore. First time I've seen a lot of my family since Covid started, and the first time most of my family saw the car. They went crazy for it!
Party X.jpg

Well I am new on this forum. I purchased my 1976 X1/9 last Wednesday in Sacramento. It is in nice shape to start with, new paint and mechanicals. 1300 engine with slightly higher compression than stock. It is the original color combo.
Redish orange with a brown interior.
I have been cleaning and replacing a lot of parts.
1. New arm rests.
2. Orange rear turn signal lenses
3. 1974 front turn signals with clear and Amber lenes.
4. Removed impact bumpers.
5. Mid west bumper rubber over rider kit, front and back.
4. Painted the steering wheel spokes.
5. New inside rear view mirror.
6. New interior light.
7.New carpet kit Midwest in tan ( this was not the molded carpet, it did not fit very good)
8. Polished instrument cluster plastic , so now it is clear.
9. Air cleaner snorkel hose to lower side vent for air induction in the carburetor .
10. New Star wheels
11. Fixing a lot of electrical issues ( bad grounds)
12. Over the next 3 days the car is getting a color sanding and polish. The paint is nice, but just needs to final step.
13. I am also looking to upgrade the seats to a later model year.
14. And a new black shift knob with shift pattern in white .
That is it till Friday.

Back