What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Well I am new on this forum. I purchased my 1976 X1/9 last Wednesday in Sacramento. It is in nice shape to start with, new paint and mechanicals. 1300 engine with slightly higher compression than stock. It is the original color combo.
Redish orange with a brown interior.
I have been cleaning and replacing a lot of parts.
1. New arm rests.
2. Orange rear turn signal lenses
3. 1974 front turn signals with clear and Amber lenes.
4. Removed impact bumpers.
5. Mid west bumper rubber over rider kit, front and back.
4. Painted the steering wheel spokes.
5. New inside rear view mirror.
6. New interior light.
7.New carpet kit Midwest in tan ( this was not the molded carpet, it did not fit very good)
8. Polished instrument cluster plastic , so now it is clear.
9. Air cleaner snorkel hose to lower side vent for air induction in the carburetor .
10. New Star wheels
11. Fixing a lot of electrical issues ( bad grounds)
12. Over the next 3 days the car is getting a color sanding and polish. The paint is nice, but just needs to final step.
13. I am also looking to upgrade the seats to a later model year.
14. And a new black shift knob with shift pattern in white .
That is it till Friday.
Welcome aboard Ron. Sounds like you've been busy. Get used to it; these cars often seem to require constant attention. :p

A few photos of the car in process.

Attachments

• 03582F1E-5FB6-490D-A2E3-9EADD95A75DA.jpeg
    03582F1E-5FB6-490D-A2E3-9EADD95A75DA.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 9B1B591F-F76C-4D1F-A4FB-4F391D896588.jpeg
    9B1B591F-F76C-4D1F-A4FB-4F391D896588.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 20924904-C2DF-411C-9A4E-31EF7FA0257E.jpeg
    20924904-C2DF-411C-9A4E-31EF7FA0257E.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 120
Thanks, I am aware of these little gyms needs. While this is my first X1/9, at 63 . I have been bring cars up a few levels, every time I bring one into my garage. That is the fun of the car hobby, with multiple cars. One always needs something. And the improvements and changes are fun. I forgot to mention, the car has always been a California car with no rust.

Last edited:
Just FYI, the seats up thru 83 or 84 would fit you 76's welded in seat rails without modifying anything. The later year Xs (85-88 for sure) switched to bolted in sliders, so you would have some work to do to get those seats mounted into your early X. I tcan be done, just an FYI.

Good luck as you continue your project. :)

Well I am new on this forum. I purchased my 1976 X1/9 last Wednesday in Sacramento. It is in nice shape to start with, new paint and mechanicals. 1300 engine with slightly higher compression than stock. It is the original color combo.
Redish orange with a brown interior.
I have been cleaning and replacing a lot of parts.
1. New arm rests.
2. Orange rear turn signal lenses
3. 1974 front turn signals with clear and Amber lenes.
4. Removed impact bumpers.
5. Mid west bumper rubber over rider kit, front and back.
4. Painted the steering wheel spokes.
5. New inside rear view mirror.
6. New interior light.
7.New carpet kit Midwest in tan ( this was not the molded carpet, it did not fit very good)
8. Polished instrument cluster plastic , so now it is clear.
9. Air cleaner snorkel hose to lower side vent for air induction in the carburetor .
10. New Star wheels
11. Fixing a lot of electrical issues ( bad grounds)
12. Over the next 3 days the car is getting a color sanding and polish. The paint is nice, but just needs to final step.
14. And a new black shift knob with shift pattern in white .
That is it till Friday.
Dang you have been busy.

Just FYI, the seats up thru 83 or 84 would fit you 76's welded in seat rails without modifying anything. The later year Xs (85-88 for sure) switched to bolted in sliders, so you would have some work to do to get those seats mounted into your early X. I tcan be done, just an FYI.

I just did this job on one of mine - installed the later "bolt in" style seats. I was not easy. The floor is different shape and none of it fits directly. I had to cut and weld sections into the floor pans, etc, etc.

Fixed some crappy work on the cooling system by the previous owner and installed 500 Abarth wheel bolts. No more mismatched 19 and 21mm bolts!

And of course, drove it as is mandatory after any work. The way these cars neutral steer through corners still makes me giggle like a child every time I take it out.

Fixed some crappy work on the cooling system by the previous owner and installed 500 Abarth wheel bolts. No more mismatched 19 and 21mm bolts!

And of course, drove it as is mandatory after any work. The way these cars neutral steer through corners still makes me giggle like a child every time I take it out.

Nothing much better than driving an X.

A couple of weeks ago I finally took both the X and the Miata out of storage, I drove them back to back and was struck yet again by difference in these two cars. The X is a much easier car to drive fast. It is stable but changes direction with ease. It takes a set and just goes as you dial in more steering or throttle. The Miata is fast but always nervous, its technically better balance doesn’t translate into a car which feels confident, there is always a whole lot of dancing around. It is a busy car to stay on top of and the CoG is just forward of the driver, I always feel I am chasing the car.

I will always take the X over the Miata.

Thanks Jim, I have been told about the mulch later seats, don’t just slide in. The seats I am looking at are 1982-1983.
Cloth / vinyl .

Today is the day I look forward to every year...The spring start-up of my X.
After 8 months under cover, she started right up and I went for a few short runs, an oil change and then my usual 2-hr circuit in the hills of New Hampshire.
I never get tired of the attention it gets at gas stations and parking lots. Of course I get a few boomers that first ask what it is and then say that they owned one in collage...
x on lake.jpg

Today is the day I look forward to every year...The spring start-up of my X.
After 8 months under cover, she started right up and I went for a few short runs, an oil change and then my usual 2-hr circuit in the hills of New Hampshire.
I never get tired of the attention it gets at gas stations and parking lots. Of course I get a few boomers that first ask what it is and then say that they owned one in collage...
View attachment 47587
Superb. The age group that ignores ours are the 35-50 crowd, ONLY Tesla’s and Land Rover’s get them all sweaty. But the Boomers, and the younger kids always give us a loving glance....

Change the oil and filter (15W-40) and Wicks
Fixed my broken Speedo Cable-
Didn't use the new one piece replacement cable I bought from MWB... made an adapter for the broken plastic threaded coupling that goes to the trans, using an old piece of hose I salvaged off my discarded Gulp Valve. The stretched out end of the hose that was around the Gulp Valve nipple fit the threaded boss on the trans perfectly. And the smaller "original diameter" part of the hose (an inch or so away) perfectly fit the metal sheath on the cable end. I pushed the larger end of my new adapter onto the trans and secured it with the original hose clamp that came with the gulp valve, and put a smaller clamp on the other end to secure it to the metal sheath. Works like a treat! I can take pictures if anyone's interested. I was so excited it worked, (and that I didn't have to deal with one of the more dreaded X repairs "right now") that I oiled up the cable, slapped it on and went out for a two hour drive. Mixed emotions about the outcome, though. Happy to have a working speedo again, but now I see how fast I've been tearing around my community and watching as the mileage adds up!)

Today filler sand ,filler sand ,back end ready for final prime ,door on stand is door that was on early post turned out really good needs one more prime and sand

Attachments

• EE1D728F-8A8F-4B8D-9841-41118A9F44E6.jpeg
    EE1D728F-8A8F-4B8D-9841-41118A9F44E6.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 78
  • FB19C247-06CD-4B7A-B084-F60D8AA59F35.jpeg
    FB19C247-06CD-4B7A-B084-F60D8AA59F35.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 1E1B5836-39D3-48A1-AA9B-36321A111FB1.jpeg
    1E1B5836-39D3-48A1-AA9B-36321A111FB1.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 87
Superb. The age group that ignores ours are the 35-50 crowd, ONLY Tesla’s and Land Rover’s get them all sweaty. But the Boomers, and the younger kids always give us a loving glance....
I've noticed that! My friends (19-24yo) absolutely froth over my project of an X1/9, and every time I take it out I get a constant wave of older guys coming over, striking up conversation about owning one once, or knowing someone that used to have one, or maybe just about how they haven't seen one in over 20 years.

It's quite an experience. I've met so many people just by simply owning the car...it's incredible what cars can do.

Back