What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

I reinstalled the rear control arms and wheels, which I had formerly removed to get the power plant out, so that I could roll the thing around. The car is very light now! No motor, interior, etc...

I painted the hood!

Attachments

• IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    566.1 KB · Views: 122
Been building a '74 1300 engine to Euro specs (head, cam, and 32 DMTR carb).... a 1300 block needs four 16mm dish-style expansion plugs to close off the oil galleries. Three of the four closed up just fine, but the fourth at the rear of the motor would not - the plug went in loose and would spin in place. I tried with another plug, same thing.

It turns out that that oil gallery is exactly the right size to be tapped for 1/2-20 threads, and since I have that tap in the tool-pile... Found a 1/2-20 bolt, cut a piece off the end to use as a threaded plug, slotted the end for a flat-head screwdriver, and in it went! We won't talk about using SAE hardware in a car born and bred for metric....

Last edited:
Yesterday I changed out the old gear lube to some fresh MTL90. There was a little surprise for me. Any opinions?

There is always some metal on the plug, that is the point of it being magnetic.
Yours looks like it is a bit more than I would like to see, but it depends on how many miles have been driven since it was last serviced. As long at there are no big chunks (lager than a grain of rice for example) and no noticeable performance changes I would fill with red-line can enjoy the car.

Other opinions may vary.

Thanks Andy. Nothing really "large", but I too wasnt expecting quite so much material. As for the time between servicing; its anyones guess. I filled it with 3.2qts of MTL and after 3 miles things seen a bit smoother

Thanks Andy. Nothing really "large", but I too wasnt expecting quite so much material. As for the time between servicing; its anyones guess. I filled it with 3.2qts of MTL and after 3 miles things seen a bit smoother
I always have some on there, first time a little less than that but not much less, even this last time (two days ago) after only 200 miles since refill with fresh GL1 I had filings on there, hopefully this latest batch is still old junk coming through. BTW I've gone back to GL1 since the car isn't worth the $90 for new MTL, shifts fine but it's amazing how stiff it is when cold. Car won't even idle in neutral, have to hold in clutch or it will stall. Don't need brakes for the first few blocks either. What a riot. 2 miles down the road all is well. I don't understand how people run these cars in winter with that oil in the box.

I sanded a lot. I found a bunch of little dings. I sanded them and filled them. Then I sanded them. When I was done I looked at my work and sanded it. I am 3/8th done with the body work before it goes to the painter, who, I suspect, will offer to sand it and fill "the wavy bits."

Over the last few weeks I have been redoing my interior, changing to LED on exterior lights and upgrading the stereo. Today my brother and I completed the sub enclosure, installed new 4x6's in the doors and installed the amp. Sounds and looks awesome!

Its pretty simple all you do is simply tell us what you've done to your X1/9 during the current day or in the late evening prior. It can be anything from a fun drive, wash/wax, to engine rebuilding etc.. Pics and video are always welcome for incrimination.. :eek:mg:.. I mean entertainment purposes.

at 1:20 a.m. I finished going after an oil leak (again) put transmission back on and all the work associated with that, drove it too work, I'm getting too old for this

Nah, your not too old for it, you just need a break from the niggling repairs. Hopefully you can drive more and fix less.

I've got my motorcycle in pieces and a group ride on Saturday, my kid's Porsche has serious needs and my other kid's crappy Cavalier is running on 3 cylinders (and the dork drove it to Chicago and back that way! (he was picking up girls from the airport so I don't blame him), Miata has noises wanting investigation too, at least I know what I'm doing in my "spare" time. Heading to Florida Sunday where there's no old cars to bother me (My Dad's '04 Vette doesn't need me....I hope)

I've got my motorcycle in pieces and a group ride on Saturday, my kid's Porsche has serious needs and my other kid's crappy Cavalier is running on 3 cylinders (and the dork drove it to Chicago and back that way! (he was picking up girls from the airport so I don't blame him), Miata has noises wanting investigation too, at least I know what I'm doing in my "spare" time. Heading to Florida Sunday where there's no old cars to bother me (My Dad's '04 Vette doesn't need me....I hope)

Safe travels. Enjoy the time away. Bring back some sunshine please. No really I mean it!

I sanded a lot. I found a bunch of little dings. I sanded them and filled them. Then I sanded them. When I was done I looked at my work and sanded it. I am 3/8th done with the body work before it goes to the painter, who, I suspect, will offer to sand it and fill "the wavy bits."

There has to be some irony in fact that you show "Sandy Springs" as your home! :)

I did nothing to my X, though I wanted to kick it... Got the transmission back in yesterday completing a clutch job, and the clutch pedal went right to the floor.. DOH!

The master is only a few years old.... guess as long as I am in there I should do a full restore of the pedal box... sigh...

Had one heck of a week in the shop last week! Work is about caught up so I am taking a much needed X work break! Today I am working on some covers for my visors. I make Arts and Crafts furniture so if leather is not big enough for a cushion it is fair game! And although I have grown accustomed to the green foam dust flying in my face every time I adjust the visor I am going try to remedy.
I cut these out of some leather and I will have my dad sew them on his Juki industrial. Pretty sure I can have Velcro sewn in so it tucks up in the top and seals cover on. You won't see the flap unless the visor is down. I am also pretty sure it will stretch over the frame, barely, then be held in place by the corner locks. Will post results when I get them back. Also deleted the mirror... If you have time or the inclination to look at yourself in that little mirror you are missing the point of our ride?
Regards
1491238824937-562645132.jpg

Back