Windshields for Scorpions

So my vendor has them in two choices, green tinted top (Series 1) and a blue tinted top for the Series 2 cars sold in the UK. Let me know your preferences as if we all want the original green tint, it will delay the shipment until April 16th.

Okay, here are the pictures. The windshields are standard with the black band around the edge, green tint band at the top of the screen. Glue in as per original. Laminated with the US required AS1 markings. I will be ordering 5 of the green band windshields today unless someone tells me they want one with the blue band below.

Clear Green.jpg

They also sell the blue band windshields as used in the later Series 2 cars at the same cost.
Clear Blue.jpg

Looks like I can get these for a cost of about $400 each delivered. So if everyone wants one, I'll get this arranged and shipped to my shop here in Frederick, MD. Sounds like the only one that is not local is @Lturner7 , but at $400, you can afford to have it shipped verse the alternatives.

Yeah count me in I'm in Oregon

Okay, so here is the deal for the windshield "group" purchase. I am ordering 5 of the Series 1 (our Scorpions) green banded original style windshields tomorrow. They will be in at the vendor in the UK on April 16th and available here at my home in Maryland by the end of April. I have one for Robert who is buying my red scorpion, so there are 4 available for purchase. The cost is $400 each and shipping is extra cost to get it to you. I have had @Lturner7, @BEEK, @lanciahf and @Dean Scharer ask for one, so for the moment they are all spoken for. I'll PM each of you with my Paypal or Venmo details to hold them beyond the 16th. @lanciahf is picking his up, Robert is bringing @BEEK's down to Florida when he picks up the car, so the only shipping that needs to be done is for the two headed west. I'll have the crate we can use to send them out to you all, we will just need to figure out the best way to get them out there. @Pete Whitstone, I'll let you know if anyone drops out. I can only get 5 in the current crate, or would have to bump this up to a crate of 12 and not sure there is enough demand to order more than this. This order will exhaust their current new windshields on order, so unless someone wants one of the Series 2 with the blue band, this is all that are currently available.

I'm curious which manufacturer these are from. I'm guessing Pilkington? I believe MH had these at one time.
I haven't seen an OEM SIGLA non-banded available in years. I don't recall without researching what markets besides the US Scorpion came without a band across the top.
Back in the day (1990), there was a rash of green banded windshields that were slightly undersized and needed a trim strip to finish off the gap; like most windshields in the Nineties. I put one in a '77 I restored.

Picture 321.jpg

It is not Pinkerton but the vendor did not disclose who is manufacturing them other than that this was a special run that was done for the UK Montecarlo club. Until recently they were only available to club members but they are now allowed to sell them to the general public. They made series 1 and series 2 windshields to spec. I have one of the smaller windshields in my 77 that has the special gasket. These do not need a gasket and glue in place like original.

At that price, I'd be buying one as a spare if I still had my Scorpions. I paid almost that much 33 years ago for undersized glass. Of course, that was the only option at the time...

Okay, 5 windshields are now ordered and I'll have an update on the delivery date, but should be the end of April. Between crating charges, exchange rates and adding a 5th windshield to the order, the cost will now be $450 each, but still a bargain. I'll send everyone that has asked a PM with the payment details to hold one for you.

In Baltimore now. Learning a lot about international shipping on this adventure. I don't understand why I can order two expensive electric power steering kits from the EU and not have any customs or shipping issues, but 6 windshields from the UK has had a customs "stop", I had to get a customs broker hired at a cost of $295 and they are going through the process of determining where the windshields were manufactured (the UK according to the paperwork) and what the intended use is for these windshields (guess it is not obvious?) Looking like early next week for the delivery to my shop.

In Baltimore now. Learning a lot about international shipping on this adventure. I don't understand why I can order two expensive electric power steering kits from the EU and not have any customs or shipping issues, but 6 windshields from the UK has had a customs "stop", I had to get a customs broker hired at a cost of $295 and they are going through the process of determining where the windshields were manufactured (the UK according to the paperwork) and what the intended use is for these windshields (guess it is not obvious?) Looking like early next week for the delivery to my shop.
Seems to be very hit or miss getting things shipped from EU. Never seems to be a problem for things coming from China. Hmmm??

Delivery has been confirmed for Monday, so I'll contact all the local folks first and then we can figure out how best to get the last two out to the west coast once we have the others out of the protective crate! What a saga, I had to get half a dozen forms filled out on various things to get these thing through customs.

Back