Windshields for Scorpions

Delivery has been confirmed for Monday, so I'll contact all the local folks first and then we can figure out how best to get the last two out to the west coast once we have the others out of the protective crate! What a saga, I had to get half a dozen forms filled out on various things to get these thing through customs.
Thanks for all the hard work.

Delivery has been confirmed for Monday, so I'll contact all the local folks first and then we can figure out how best to get the last two out to the west coast once we have the others out of the protective crate! What a saga, I had to get half a dozen forms filled out on various things to get these thing through customs.
That's weird. When I bought 2 from the Monte Hospital about 15 years ago, it was entirely hassle free. Paid them their money and had the windshields in about a week. No customs hassles whatsoever.

I wonder what's different? Dollar value? Crate size? England leaving the EU? (actually I don't know that you sourced them from England).

IIRC the US import threshold for duty is $800 - so could it of been that your order was less than this, while the order here is looking like $2000+ ?

Might be. As I recall I paid about $1200 but I think that was like $600 windshields, $300 crating charge, $300 shipping.

I bought two power steering kits from a Dutch supplier, they were $1,400 each but shipped separately. I ordered about $3,500 worth of surrey top parts from a UK vendor, again shipped with no hassles. This order was under both of these and they treated it like I was a commercial vendor. I had to fill out a form that stated what the intended use of these windshields was. I had to do a declaration that they met all the safety and emissions requirements (fortunately they had a box for "intended for vehicles older than 25 model years". Plus packing slips, invoices, country of origin, and pay the customs broker for the services, bonding and the duties. Worked out to about $49 additional per windscreen so if anyone on the group buy wants to contribute, that would be great, but I'll honor the original cost that I told you all.

Thanks everyone, windshields are here! Coordinate with me when you want to pick them up.

Dean and Levi, let me know how you want to ship the two for your car's. I'll save the box and packing as everyone picks up theirs.

Robert, I am scheduling to get one installed on the Red Scorpion ASAP so you can schedule your trip.

IMG_7055.jpg

Thanks everyone, windshields are here! Coordinate with me when you want to pick them up.

Dean and Levi, let me know how you want to ship the two for your car's. I'll save the box and packing as everyone picks up theirs.

Robert, I am scheduling to get one installed on the Red Scorpion ASAP so you can schedule your trip.

View attachment 73009
Thanks for the update. I'll be planning the trip.

First windshield was picked up this morning (thanks Jerry). Next one is being installed tomorrow on my red Scorpion for Robert and he will take the one for @BEEK down to Florida on the return trip. Ralph (NJ) is coming on the 20th to get his and that will then leave two to send out west. Dean and Levi, let me know what you are thinking in getting these shipped out to you.

Since I have never shipped anything like this, anyone have any suggestions?
Greyhound freight used to be a thing for larger, bulky items like this. But their insurance is sketchy, if they break it, they probably won't accept responsibility. I have used it before and it's a lot cheaper than fedex or UPS. But you're taking a chance.

Greyhound freight used to be a thing for larger, bulky items like this. But their insurance is sketchy, if they break it, they probably won't accept responsibility. I have used it before and it's a lot cheaper than fedex or UPS. But you're taking a chance.
Horror story, but somewhat relevant. Back in the day, At Asian-Italian auto parts, we used to ship used and new fiat parts all over the country via UPS. one day we had a package come back to us "damaged" it clearly had tire marks over the box, it was crushed flat. Our assumption was that it got ran over by a UPS truck. We made a claim, their inspector cam out, investigated the package and declared" improper packaging". My response was, We didnt know that our cardboard boxes had to withstand a truck running over them. He just repeated improper packaging and left!

Back