Working on the House....

Found the direction sheet from this brand / thickness corrugated panels - definitely doesn't make sense from a physics perspective. It's snowing now & going to rain & then snow again tomorrow - I will report the news either way.
View attachment 80310
! and ! even :) Wow - well OK, but still wrong :) Had a look at their website - plenty of caveats along the lines of "check with local authorities" and I guess they will blame the washers and you if [when] you get leaks - even tho you have done as directed!

Maybe its an Australian thing, but I have never seen a steel roof screwed or nailed [as they used to be with those big lead headed nails] through the valleys. Anyway, looks like I have learned something new :)

! and ! even :) Wow - well OK, but still wrong :) Had a look at their website - plenty of caveats along the lines of "check with local authorities" and I guess they will blame the washers and you if [when] you get leaks - even tho you have done as directed!

Maybe its an Australian thing, but I have never seen a steel roof screwed or nailed [as they used to be with those big lead headed nails] through the valleys. Anyway, looks like I have learned something new :)

Yeah - If I ever do it again, I will go with through the rise.
Snow started Friday night, under six inches when all done. See what happens when the rains come tomorrow
PXL_20240107_170522671.jpg

Archie is not afraid to explore the snow

PXL_20240107_170647138.MP.jpg

Been carting more lumber 2x4x16, 2x6x8, 2x4x8'. I can only carry so much & feel safe, with the over 12' 'ers, anyway. Carried several 2x12x12's , 1/2 dozen cinder blocks , and bunch of 2x4's yesterday. I just drive 30 w/flashers & annoy all the other traffic with my snails pace.

I'm thinking now that I will enclose the awning & open up the existing back wall - that will give me more than 48" depth increase in the main area, which will allow the Datsun to fit & still have about the same work area as I have now with the X1/9.
That should tide me over for a couple/few years whilst I figure out what I can do legally as far as increasing the footprint of the garage, at least 15' beyond my awning. It's difficult to determine exactly what the code restrictions are from the town website building dept., so if I have to go in person & ask, I'll have to be very careful how I word it.
I could make do with a platform back there large enough to carry a Volvo or Nissan, or Fiat, so that way a "project" or parts car would not be unsightly in the driveway....

PXL_20240128_162528404.jpg

PXL_20240128_162749367.jpg

I have to go in person & ask
Most, if not all planning departments use distance from property lines, and set-back from the street as guidlines. If you are not decreasing the space between the existing structure and your neighbor, just extending it 15 feet back into the yard you should be fine. Fine doesn't mean easy because even though something is legal, most planning departments make you jump through endless hoops unless you are a licensed contractor.

Bought some more 2x12 planks to make a platform I can move the heavy stuff out onto. I'll just tarp it for now while I figure out enclosing the awning area. Spoke to a building inspector at the town office, he said to bring in a survey & he/they can better inform me on what options I may have, and what variances, etc., may (most likely) be required.

PXL_20240131_205358702.jpg

Been plugging away on the North side of the house - had some issues with flooding from Ida last week to deal with, and couldn't set up the scaffolding until last Friday. We did get the new front side window in, and the casings and some siding repair wrapped up today - another flash flood warning for tonight

View attachment 51839

View attachment 51838

View attachment 51837

View attachment 51836
cut the siding back 5.75" from the sides of the new rough opening for 5/4 x 6" case moldings, 6.5" at the top & 5" at the bottom

View attachment 51832

View attachment 51833

View attachment 51834

When they installed this smaller window (in what became the modern kitchen), they used foam over the sheathing they added to make up the gap where the old larger window was. I added 1/2" sheathing to bring it level with the original wood siding, so the new concrete siding panels sit at the correct level.

View attachment 51841

Need to get the forward North/East vertical edging done before Oct.

View attachment 51835

View attachment 51845

View attachment 51843

View attachment 51840

Window will have to be painted white to match all the new ones

View attachment 51842

The rear addition area we are not touching until the spring - no way to deal with that before the weather turns, I know its going to be a mess, as there is a step where the porch section joins the main addition - there is probably only sheathing under that area, as we found with the West wall.

View attachment 51844
Love all of these pictures. Though I will admit that it gives me some PTSD. :) I spent 10 years renovating my home in Austin before getting married and moving to Iowa. I think it was a "smite by God" because when I finished I said, "Well thats done. I'll never have to do that again."
Ugh. :) :)
Thank you for showing your project journey. You are quite talented and your work is beautiful...you home is beautiful.

Started clearing the back wall yesterday. The enclosed awning will definitely make life easier, I will move the benches & tool box back there, which adds about 5' behind the Fiat. That will be enough to have the Datsun or even the pickup truck inside & be able to work on it in the dead of winter.
I found out from the meeting with one of the town building inspectors that I would be most unlikely to get approval for an additional structure of the size I wanted added to the existing garage, due to both current zoning codes and the fact that I'm in a hamlet, which apparently means any plans have top go before an architectural review board, not just the building inspectors. Reviewing my property survey, he intimated that would be a significant issue, given all the variances that would have to be factored. Apparently even a shed over 12x12' has to have a permit in our town. However, he told me that what doesn't need any kind of permit is a 'patio'. Basically, I can have a slab off the garage, just has to be 10' from the side & back. I can easily add a 16x18 concrete pad without it sticking out more than about 6' from the existing side of the garage facing the house. I'd rather have an enclosed space, but a pad would still work for me.

PXL_20240202_205923246_exported_1100_1706916491218.jpg

PXL_20240202_205931327.jpg

PXL_20240202_205945732.jpg

Started framing the enclosure yesterday also - the end wall is approx 14'. Add the first top plate with the rafters cut with 'birdsmouths', or chocks on the ones that didn't align well enough.
PXL_20240202_210657976.jpg

Today I added the 2nd top plate & started placing the studs 16" OC across the span. Had to make drawings to figure out the lumber & the placement of the large fixed window that I will move from the existing back wall. Calculating the cut lengths needed from the lumber lengths available is always a challenge for me, so this at least helps me mostly get it close. The window is actually 75x36. I also found my local lumber yard (vs. the box store) had the period correct 1x6 'clapboard/ lap siding' that matches the existing siding. It's now called Novelty Siding. Hopefully I'll finish the framing & sheath the walls tomorrow, and maybe get some of the siding up. The short end wall I will side with cut pieces from the old wall, there is enough length to cut off the 54" length I need for that. That will also help make it look more original from the street, since that's the only part that is really visible without entering my yard.

PXL_20240203_231323273.MP.jpg

PXL_20240203_231330962.jpg

Last edited:
Put in a good 9 hour day on the garage. I would have liked to have been a little further along with it, but it is what it is. I'm being mindful of my back, so most things just take me longer.

Bought this seal tape from the local lumber yard, unlike the standard butyl, the adhesive on this is good for application in -20ºF. It's only been in the 30's the past couple days, however the standard building sealant tape is only good for <40ºF

PXL_20240204_131309436.jpg

Started framing the window opening and the end wall.
PXL_20240204_150046395.jpg

I removed the window from the garage before making the rough opening in the new wall, to make sure I had the measurements correct.
The beam will get a proper header under it when I remove the inside wall
PXL_20240204_160411214.jpg

I used double 2x6 with a 1/2" plywood sandwich for the window header. I made sure everything is square
PXL_20240204_175302605.jpg

PXL_20240204_175252724.jpg

PXL_20240204_182343451.MP.jpg

Added an extra rafter (not visible) to allow for the upper outer sheathing at the end wall. I added bridges between the end wall studs at 24". 48" and 66" to brace the studs after I took this pic
PXL_20240204_185642626.jpg

I couldn't wait to install the window (actually a glass door) until after the sheathing was done. I will plug the hole intended for the door lock at some point. I like having the wide opening, even if it's not intended as a window
PXL_20240204_204316690.jpg

I wanted to get the end wall closed off before I packed it in
PXL_20240204_204328112.jpg

Sheathed the end wall & put up the tar paper. Got one 4x4 and a 36x48 section of the main wall covered. I'll have to leave the one opening until I get the old outer siding removed & make an opening into the garage. Hopefully get that far tomorrow after work
PXL_20240204_224119504.MP.jpg

Started removing the siding & sheathing on the inside. Added the temporary support for the beam.

PXL_20240207_111302656.jpg

PXL_20240206_231133334.jpg

Hot mess up here. I guess maybe the center beam was added later on? The cross beam above the top plate is actual 4x4". Can't understand why it would be placed as it is. When we bought the property 25 years ago, the garage had no attic, just the shallow (2'?) planked area seen here, and at the front end. There were very few rafters, and the entire garage had a serious tilt. There are metal tie plates in the side walls that connect the east & west ends together with cable. Back then, I tied the north east corner to a Cedar adjacent, and used a come-along to pull it square(ish) over the course of a month or so, then added tie plates & rafters. I can't say I followed any actual plan back then, I just tried to make it more rigid.

PXL_20240206_231102183.MP.jpg

Drawing of the west end wall as it exists. All the studs and plates are 2.5x4", 24" OC. The opening will be 12'. from the floor to the beam is 90", 96" to top of beam, 102" to top of 4"x4" cross beam

PXL_20240207_120105101.jpg

Reactions: 86X
Back