X1/9 style/design custom modifications

I love it, a body-dropped X1/9.

index.php

There is another X that has widened fenders something like that.

This one is really well integrated. Still looks very much an X1/9, just 'tweaked' in a good way. Many of the other flare examples just don't look good, functionality was most likely the primary goal, less so aesthetic. Not being a racer, I'd go with looks.

This one is really well integrated. Still looks very much an X1/9, just 'tweaked' in a good way. Many of the other flare examples just don't look good, functionality was most likely the primary goal, less so aesthetic. Not being a racer, I'd go with looks.

Agree this one looks much better than the rest.

I think the only thing that would make the rear look less out of place would be to move the lights all the way to the sides not leaving that gap that the extra width added.

Would take some work to move them but would look more stock that way. You could just add another light in there so they are the same distance apart in the middle.

This is what I love about customizing vehicles; the variety of style preferences and tastes is a personal thing and leads to such a wide array of interesting outcomes. Speaking strictly for myself, I prefer to NOT maintain the original looks or design cues of a car. I customize them to create something different from the stock style, more to what I think it should have looked like. In my case that is something of a 'track' look; performance oriented, functional design. However that does not mean I don't appreciate other custom designs. I think one of the greatest appeals is seeing the level of creativity, fabrication, craftsmanship and love that is put into the project, no matter what the result is.

I came across another custom bodied X with some extra "trailer fender" type extensions added onto a set of Dallara style flares (front and rear) for even greater width. Also an enlarged side scoop. Those rear tires must be massive.
A few other items: The air duct at the rear of the targa bar / roof, leading to a "snorkel". Push button door latches. Race car side mirrors.
Slalom-Romont-2018-Christian-Darani-Fiat-X19-Sieger-E1-2000-autosprintch©Ramon-Hänggi.jpg

Earlier I mentioned the idea of creating a custom 'targa bar', with a different shape/contour to it. Or possibly the bar could be completely eliminated for a 'convertible' look (although I don't think that fits the X's overall shape as well), or replaced with "speed humps". This would be part of a bigger customization project, perhaps along with a raked or completely redesigned windshield, lowered roof line, open top "roadster" (a top is no longer utilized), a custom top made, etc. I've always liked the "speedster" style windshields; either completely frameless, just the side posts, or with a minimal support rim across the perimeter. Typically they are shorter than a standard windshield and have a more rounded streamlined shape.

There are several styles of windshield and targa bar that could be utilized with something like this. Here are some examples. I have many more saved somewhere on one of my hard drives I'll add later if I find them.

Autobianchi_Runabout.jpg
Pininfarina-Sergio-Concept-Rendering-05.jpg
porsche-top-5-design-concepts2.jpg
Ferrari-275-P-classic-car-Le-Mans-1005904.jpg
Monterey 09 017.JPG
Monterey 09 048 (2).JPG
Monterey 09 079.JPG
Imperial Palace LV 2.jpg
Monterey 09 013.JPG
Monterey 09 023 (2).JPG

Here is my old race car just after painting. We had Dallara flares as well, however the rear was a real pita. The center of the wheel arch was not in line with the stock location of the rear tires. Had to move it about an inch or more forward so it fit in the wheel well. Regardless, there is tons of time spent on fiberglass work to make it look right.
Not to go off topic but what brand are those wheels? I just got 2 and cant find any markings...

I have used inexpensive enamel paint (like RustOleum) from the big box home improvement store for some car projects. If you treat it like regular automotive finishes, with proper thinning and spray gun setup, it works pretty well. Frankly it's as good as the low-end discount priced single-stage 'real' stuff, but at about a third the cost or less. Especially on something like a race car that needs frequent repairs or repaint work. A common color for that type of application is what's often referred to as "refrigerator white" because it is so easy to match and always available. I've also spotted a shade of grey that I like; very similar to "Nardo Grey" that's available on several newer German cars (see below pics). And it is specificalyy intended for outdoor use on metal (industrial stair wells, equipment, etc) so it is formulated to be durable and rust resistant...plus it's even less expensive than RustOleum (something like $15 gal). :D

However regardless of the type of paint used, it still requires the same prep work which by far is the most difficult part of a repaint.

We should do some 'custom paint' ideas in this thread along with the other exterior modifications discussed.

"Nardo Grey" - I think this would look good on the X, maybe with some red accents.
nardo-grey-ferrari-laferrari_1.jpg
nardo_grey_audi_r8_v10_plus_adv1_wheels_3.jpg
ad7mvdd_700b.jpg
IMG_4014-960x480.jpg

Depends on what your goal is...mine is always that it looks OK from 30 feet. Anything closer and you are supposed to be amazed by technical details to the point you forget about the paint! I have no idea at this point what will happen to the fatrat X in terms of paint, that's usually not an issue till the car is mechanically roadworthy.

I always though the lambo green and orange would look good on the fiat.

Also primer grey would be cool.

Thought I'd add an update to this discussion of design/style changes and customizing the X1/9.

I came across a couple cleaver examples (on other vehicles, not the X1/9) of the utilization of existing materials to create custom body work. Specifically wide fender flares and a roof air scoop (rally style). The genius of them is their simplicity. And these are readily available, inexpensive materials with a execution that anyone could pull off.

Bronco_Pool_Half.jpg
dumpster_roof_scoop.jpg

On that last example, also notice his clever use of other materials for the rear wing. Those LeMons racers have nothing on these guys.

with anothers that Jeff is going to publish :D

For the 2012 Solo Nationals I added these temporary? eyebrows to meet the legal requirements for covering the tire. I cut them from a $5 Walmart clothes basket.
I broke my ankle that night as punishment for this. (You don't want to see the pics of that)
20181107_110826.jpg

This is another one of those "why" ideas. The airflow over / under an x draws air from under up through the engine bay and out the engine lid. Would pushing pressurized air against this airflow provide any real benefit?

Does it draw air through the engine bay or does the pressure of "dead" air force airflow through the engine bay?

Back