X1/9s Next to Other Vehicles

IMG_20180224_112028.jpg

Old picture but I love how small it looks next to today's smaller cars (Nissan Sentra)

I had a chance to drive this Lambo - it was nice, and yes... quite powerful - but still prefer the X1/9! From this angle, the X1/9 doesn't look all that small compared to the Murcielago.

Heh, my Abarth 500's axle seal decided to fail so it was in my garage (as usual).

1613048851377.png

I had a chance to drive this Lambo - it was nice, and yes... quite powerful - but still prefer the X1/9!
I am perennially curious about this sort of thing: what did you like better about the X1/9? (Or worse about the Lamborghini?)

I had a chance to drive this Lambo - it was nice, and yes... quite powerful - but still prefer the X1/9! From this angle, the X1/9 doesn't look all that small compared to the Murcielago.

Heh, my Abarth 500's axle seal decided to fail so it was in my garage (as usual).

View attachment 42715
Did you buy extended warranty for the 500? I’m at that point, one year to go - now or never, at least inexpensively-speaking...

Did you buy extended warranty for the 500?

I bought my car used and out of warranty. But mannnnn... it was in for 30 or so warranty claims from the original owner (3x shifter cables!) - yes, if you're going to keep it - BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!! :) Maybe the later cars were better, mine was a 2013. I sold it, one Fiat that needs wrenching is enough for me :)

I bought my car used and out of warranty. But mannnnn... it was in for 30 or so warranty claims from the original owner (3x shifter cables!) - yes, if you're going to keep it - BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!! :) Maybe the later cars were better, mine was a 2013. I sold it, one Fiat that needs wrenching is enough for me :)
Thanks. I had the 510 transmission and flywheel replaced at 6100 miles (9800k), and have had three boost sensors replaced in two years. And it only has 9000m total on it! Guess you‘re right. With any luck, there will still be somewhere left FCA will allow it to be serviced. lol. That’s actually the bigger problem with the decision. There’s only one FIAT left, the 500x, and two Alfa’s. If they go, I imagine service goes too....

Sounds like the previous owner didn't know how to properly shift the car. Sounds like abusive power shifting to me.

Sounds like the previous owner didn't know how to properly shift the car. Sounds like abusive power shifting to me.
Clutch was clean. PO sold it to me with 1700m on it. Deal of the century. And I’m no racer-boi. It’s a very smooth clutch/tranny. Something just wasn’t made right I think. Mexican/Italian Wednesday car? Actually, the clutch was in such good shape they extended the warranty from 12 months to 48/four years as a courtesy.
Okay, sorry admins - off-topic thread chat will now cease. :)

Sounds like the previous owner didn't know how to properly shift the car. Sounds like abusive power shifting to me

Actually - here in the rust belt, the poorly yellow zinc plated parts rust so bad and separate the rubber bushings and they just fall apart. Well documented as an issue, and is actually part of a recall for the automatic transmission (park pawl issues). :( - most other OEMs do not use yellow zinc anywhere on their cars, much better and newer coatings are used (Zinclad as one example).

Actually - here in the rust belt, the poorly yellow zinc plated parts rust so bad and separate the rubber bushings and they just fall apart. Well documented as an issue, and is actually part of a recall for the automatic transmission (park pawl issues). :( - most other OEMs do not use yellow zinc anywhere on their cars, much better and newer coatings are used (Zinclad as one example).
Automatic transmission? I have no idea what you're talking about sir. :)

Next to Lambo again...

View attachment 42658

Bernice

@Rupunzell (Bernice) - can I ask about your passenger-side mirror? That looks soooooo good on your 70's era X1/9.

1613089336580.png

Is that chrome or just a play of light? Regarding @mkmini comment about how good it looks, in my personal opinion that is based on the fact that you kept that X very close to the stock/original Marcello Gandini vision. I too am aiming for this stock vision and mirrors are a big part of it.

If you can share, please do. I only see "Flag-style" mirrors at MWB. Any photos or other information would be appreciated.

Thanks, -Darin

The side mirror appears to be the oem issue chrome mirror. IMO, remarkable as most have been replaced or altered or ...

Currently dark and rainy, at some point will post a picture of that mirror. There is one Ooops that happened with this mirror. As received from the original owner, the mirror was SO stiff to adjust. Decided to lube the mirror to make adjustment easier, used Dupont Krytox (that stuff initially developed for space flight in uber vacuum environments).. Krytox made the mirror easy to adjust.. Tooo easy to adjust, to the point it does not always stay put. That was over 5 years ago and to this day, that mirror still does not want to stay put after being adjusted.

IMO, the basic 74' as delivered as intended by Gandini looks best. There are so many visual details that was done well there has been little reasons to alter them. Since this is a road-street driven X, the overall package simply works as designed, as intended.

Bernice

@Rupunzell (Bernice) - can I ask about your passenger-side mirror? That looks soooooo good on your 70's era X1/9.

View attachment 42729

Is that chrome or just a play of light? Regarding @mkmini comment about how good it looks, in my personal opinion that is based on the fact that you kept that X very close to the stock/original Marcello Gandini vision. I too am aiming for this stock vision and mirrors are a big part of it.

If you can share, please do. I only see "Flag-style" mirrors at MWB. Any photos or other information would be appreciated.

Thanks, -Darin

View attachment 42729

Thanks, -Darin
Not perfect, but not bad: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/d/los-angeles-alfa-romeo-gtv-vitaloni/7268174649.html

but also embossed with an Alfa Romeo logo which would look rather strange on a Fiat. :)
Note start: not perfect :) If Russell Brand could turn his Katy Perry tattoo into a Manchester City tat, anything’s possible...

Last edited:
Back