1872cc Stroker Crankshaft

Most people wouldnt share this and would not want this shown. Sorry if thats one of you.

Here are the pictures of what needs to be done. This example is my very own which my good friend prepared for me as I did not have the time to do it myself. This is a 1592cc fiat sporting block. I can send you examples of a 1.372cc engine block with the same thing done to it. But theres no need every block, 1.4 Punto gt block, X19 block, Fiat sporting block, Tempra they all require this UNLESS your using very expensive connecting rods which I didnt go for.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here is the difference between the 67.4mm crank and the 78.4mm:

Any more questions please ask. Will do my best to answer.

Dan will this be alright to comply by the sales rules? If not what else must I do mate.

Straight-Up Advice

I never get tired of looking at oily crankshafts:):grin:

Disclaimer: GTTurbo, you seem to be a reasonable sort and I love your enthusiasm for the sport and the Marque, and I am absolutely positively delighted that someone is willing to help us here in the Colonies get some go-fast goodies that we just never see on our side of the pond.....

BUT!

We know your stuff fits with reasonable clearancing all of the cars you guys like to mod. But remember except for the X1/9, those cars were never sold here in the USA, so we have no frame of reference when you say hey this fits great in a 1.4 Punto/1.6 Stilo, etc etc.

This is an X1/9 forum, we all have either 1300 or 1500 cars. What would help you sell your items would be positive proof that what you are selling fits our engines. Otherwise you are asking your potential customers to take a $750 +/- leap of faith with you. Sure if something were to go wrong and it turns out these items don't fit you'd be a standup guy and refund money, but even so you'd have bad feelings and money wasted on shipping heavy stuff in both directions for naught.

My best advice to you would be to do the legwork with your mates who have really put the midrange (6xmm) and the big (7xmm) stroker cranks in several X1/9 1500 engines so that you can (as Texans say) swear on a stack of Bibles that you saw it with your own eyes, they will fit.

And, other than their families and their exxies, there's nothing in this world that members of this forum love more than PIX:lol: We'd love to see pix of these cranks in X1/9 engines!

Again, just straight-shooter, common sense advice!

I understand what your saying dan, I will try and get in contact with these guys and hope they have pictures of the 1498cc block..

I agree with Dan...

Totally stoked to see someone willing to supply us with these parts. Having proof positive of the 78.4 crank into a US market 1500 X1/9 block is what we need to see. Provide that and you'll open the flood gates, and potentially make some good money with it.

Build one yourself, and provide dyno sheets to go with it. OR you could send one to a trusted forum member, and have them build one. I'm sure there's someone here who would work with you for a free crank...trust me it would be well worth it, third party confirmation is best IMO..

If I could locate a block I would be more than happy to give it a go. The only thing I would like to do with the block is to place the pistons crankshaft and rods in there and show that it actualy does fit.

Am I correct in saying that this 1500 block has a standard bore cylinder of 86.4mm?

And I have my personal spare crankshaft :) if you can lend me the botom end I can have a go at fitting it.. And will report back asap.

I am also interested in one

Hey GT turbo
I have a NOS 1500 short motor I am about to start getting ready and If I didnt have to buy scat rods then all the better although i will if i can get my hands on one of these cranks
Can I ask a really dumb question?
Will the gearbox hack this amount of torque. Mine is a regata 5 speed with tripode inner couplings.
Thanks

I've doubled the torque of a Punto gt engine and mine is fine. It should be ok, if you want piece of mind you can get arp flywheel bolts. I didn't as Im not revving over 10,000rpm

The PGT box is not the same internally as the old Strada box, although externally it looks very similar. The Strada box might struggle if you are not gentle with it.

For my uprated cars I'm using PGT boxes with a cable change.

I bought a 78mm stroke crank from Gtturbo

I took the plunge and bought a crank from Gtturbo.

The service and communication was very good as he promptly kept in touch throughout the purchase.

I received the crank about a week after i made the payment (lightning fast since i live on the other side of the world.)

Ive since confirmed it is a 78.4mm crankshaft with the help of Rachael (not taking anything away from Gtturbo, its just that i had never seen one and needed a second opinion).

Unfortunately for the rest of you, i wont be using this in an engine build for a little while (im just accumulating parts at the moment) so i wont be able to confirm if this will fit in a 1500 block just yet.

I just came on to write my speal about Gtturbo, to help him out with his newly forming reputation around here. And to help put other potential buyers at ease if they choose to purchase from him.

Reagards,
Matt

An '82 10-bolt block would be representative of what most of us in the USA would be fitting a stroker crank to.

For the USA, 14-bolt blocks were used in the '86*** and later cars.

Another potential point of interest would be to establish whether the Punto GT 8v head fits on the late X1/9 14-bolt block. Is this head a crossflow design or a reverse flow (as is the X1/9 head for all years)?

***Of course, we regulars know that any statement of model year and modifications on an X are "guidelines" only:grin:

I'm almost certain you can use the gt head on the x19 and vica versa. However I know some who has built a 1600cc turbo Stroker (67.4) with the x19 engine, 9.3:1 cr and had the two heads opened up to compare ect, the x19 head had more material apparently and was superior, not sure how true that was. The car in question made 280hp with 230lbs at 18psi.

Will try and post up some pictures of that build

1600 crank in X1/9 block

Hi Dan,

in my car, I run a 1500 X1/9 block with the 67.4mm 1600 Fiat crank.
I had to make similar mods as shown in the pics to get clearance with stock 1500 pistons.

If I understand correctly, for the 78.4 mm crank, you have to make the same mods and use special rods that are thinner in this area.

Gtturbo, thanks for all the pics, I know how difficult it is to take pics inside the block. :)

I am also looking forward to learning if it works with an X1/9 block.
I have heard varying reports whether the oil gallery REALLY is located higher in a Tipo block, or if it is really the same as an X1/9 block.

The PGT head is an 8 valve 14 bolt head, similar to the 14 bolt X1/9 head. Therefore there may be gasket sealing issues where the four M8 bolts are absent. I'll have to investigate how a 10 bolt gasket sits with a 14 bolt head and vice versa.

Gtturbo - I gave up on the first block as the pistons weren't coming free any time soon. I have dug out another engine with good bores, but with a wildlife reserve on the outside. I hope to have it cleaned off and stripped by the weekend. Saturday I'm at the NEC, Sunday will hopefully see a 10 bolt block ready for experimentation.

Cheers R

The spiders have been rehomed, X1/9 10 bolt block is now stripped ready to go and it actually looks quite healthy internally. If you are around on Sunday we can sort something out to get it down to you.

Cheers R

There are a series of pics on one of the German X19 forums that show differences in the blocks...AFAIK the 1840cc crank will not fit the early style X19 blocks...but my German isn't that great... Ulix we need a translator!

SteveC

Back