1872cc Stroker Crankshaft

Absolute right what you say Steve! This is the reason why i take another crank for all of the X engines which will suite!

Mixed info

In the german thread a swiss guy says that an italian guy has got it to work in the 1500 block and that it is easier with the 1600 block.

Others seem to suggest that there is no difference between the blocks in this regard.

I tend to only believe first hand facts laid out in a believeable fashion. :)
So I am not convinced yet and would like to see more info.

It may well be that the 78 mm crank won't fit the 10 bolt block (looking at it I too have my doubts!), but at least we will all know for sure soon. If not the 78 mm, then at least the 67 mm crank might be worthwhile for some.

I also have a couple of 14 bolt engines to experiment with over the winter!

67.4mm stroke crank will fit 1500/1300 blocks for sure BTDT...68mm stroke crank (ala PBS) also fits both 1300 and 1500 blocks...

78mm stroke...well I think there will be serious clearance issues to the oil gallery and other points in the crankcase in the "early" style "closed deck" 1300/1500 blocks...but that's (at the moment) purely an opinion...I think perhaps in the later "open deck" punto/uno style blocks it could be a different issue

SteveC

If you look at the pictures in the thread you'll see it fits in the tipo/sporting bottom end. How different is the 1500cc block to the fiat tipo one ?

Here's a 78 mm crank in a 10 bolt 1500 block. The bolt is about 1.5 mm off the wall of the block and the crank is nowhere near past "halfway". Even if the big end was shaved down to clear, the nut would still foul. I don't see a 78 mm crank fitting in these blocks :(

However, a 67 mm crank would certainly look feasible.

Thanks for the picture.

What would you say about shaving the walls off the block as well? Or does it catch at the bottom as well where the oil gallery is ?

No worries, sorry it took me so long! It looks like you would have to go pretty much right through the skin to get enough room. On the other side, the shoulder catches the oil gallery well into it, so there's trouble there too. I'll get a pic of that side tomorrow, got side tracked tonight!

If you want the block to try it yourself as we discussed, let me know.

Get some more pictures up :)

I dont mind. I will start to shave the walls ect down tho if thats ok with you.

Hello!

You can not grind a lot from the block wall. This is the reaason why you must look which block you have and which crank you use. Its also possible to get a 73,4mm crank ;-) And these one will fit on every block!!

block photo

I though I would add a talking point to get this thread going again.
Yes you can do it! 78.4 stroke a 1500 block, as long as your good with an angle grinder, a stick welder with cast rods and are lucky not to warped the block. if you do warp it you will have to spend a $$$$$ to get the block machined straight.
Here is a picture of a Argentinian who has done it.

Hi!

This is abslute right what you say! At the moment i stopped with the conversion from 1500 block to 1900cc. I decide to try it again this year with a 73,4mm crank. Then all is fine. Just waiting only for the crank!

This can happen with a bad modified stroker :shock2:

That ought to go into Col H's "Best Epic Fails" thread, but it *has* Fiat content!

"She developed a bit of a knock, but I nursed her home!"

There's an old Bathurst story

Apparently true...

Paraphrasing here.
A driver was asked why he had retired the race. "Lost the fuel pump mate."
"How'd you lose that?"
"Conrod came through the side of the block and knocked it off."

Rob,

That was George Fury of datsun /nissan rally fame in Australia, when he retired from the alpine rally back in the 80's the official reason was "electrical problems" ... which was because number 2 rod from the nissan L series had left the block and taken the alternator with it!!

SteveC

It's amazing how these stories morph

But I do remember hearing that one too. And possibly even from the man himself!

Steve, I will be starting work on a Yugo head soonish. They are one of the few options available here. I'll be working without the aid of a flow bench but with the aid of your copious posts on the subject here. Don't be surprised if you get a few emails too.

Cheers,

Rob

just for some clarification because this thread is getting crazy with the back and forth, and im some what lost but still very interested. Am I Correct in saying.

the 73.4mm crankshaft will fit the USDM 1500cc late model block with no problems, using stock length connecting rods, and 87mm pistons to make a 1850ish-cc displacement.

Back