K20 project off to a good start

Wow! Magnificent work! You are building a magnificent car. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your work.

Well, I had to take a couple of months off from Fiat playtime to focus on a couple of work related projects, but finally got some time back in the garage this past week. I refurbished the headlight motors and picked up a nice used wiper motor that I got from MWB as mine had gotten a lot of rust inside. I installed the wiper mechanism and finished off the frunk area.
View attachment 1206 View attachment 1207 View attachment 1208
View attachment 1205

I finished off the wiring harness and then hooked up all of the dashboard switches and lights to test and trouble shoot it. Happily, it mostly was all working. There were only a couple of glitches that I quickly tracked down. One was that the wiring diagrams for the '85 on Bertones had mislabeled the connection colors to the fuel level sending unit. The other was one of the pigtails for the lights to the vent control levers had the wires reversed. I had never disconnected that from the original harness so hadn't noticed that. Just took me a while to notice it. Here are some pictures. The first few are getting the various subharnesses tied together and hooked to the back of the fuse panel, then getting it back in the tray (lots of fun that). I added an additional fuse bar for my fuses for the power to the right and left headlight relays, radio, and fog lamps. I ran a large gauge power cable from the battery to the main terminal of that bar and then connected the brown wire to the ignition switch and the red wire to the fuse panel to that post for my version of the brown wire mod. I used the original left side 6 relay block that had been used for several air conditioning relays and dropped it to 5 relays. One is for the fog lamps, two are for my aftermarket AC system, and two are for the wiper relay mod. All of the dash and switch lights (except for the instrument panel warning lights) are LEDs as well as all of the external lights except the headlights.
View attachment 1213 View attachment 1214 View attachment 1215 View attachment 1216 View attachment 1217 View attachment 1218

Mate! Looking purrrty :)

I may have to buy you a airplane ticket to come out and help me with my the new project and get all the wiring sorted. Keep it up!

Reactions: Tas
Looking good Rodger

I think when your done you should not dive this car it may get dirty;)
Great work keep it up
Yeah, I worry about that but my goal was not to end up with a garage queen. I guess in a way it is good that these cars never seem to appreciate so it's not like I will end up with a valuable museum piece. I plan to drive it a lot as long as it is a dry day.

So, I have found some time to get back in the garage. With the wiring harness done, it’s good to get back to wrenching again. I finished assembling the headlight buckets and got those installed. It takes a little bit of tweaking to get them lined up so that they are flush with the nose cone. Added some H4 headlamps, then used Doug's nice set of new headlight screws for the trim rings, and then installed some nice aluminum replica filler plates under the headlights that I got from Henk.
Headlight buckets 02.JPG
Headlight buckets 06.JPG

Headlight buckets 09.JPG

Front end 03.JPG

Front end 04.JPG

Next up was the front suspension. There is a good chance that I may by moving in the next couple of months, so my goal now is to get the car to point where I can roll it so I can get it towed on a flat bed. First, I installed a new steering rack from Vick’s and then the steering column and a new ignition switch.
Steering rack column 04.JPG

Steering rack column 06.JPG

Then new coil overs from MWB connected to their camber plates, my rebuilt hubs, and the assorted control arms and radius rods. It is finally starting to look like a car!
Front suspension 01.JPG

Front suspension 02.JPG

Last edited:
WOW!
Every little nut and bolt looks (or is?) brand new on your car.
I don't know if I have seen another build with this attention to detail.

Better than new. It's the Steve Austin X1/9. "We can rebuild it stronger, better, faster." You really should have the theme music from "The Six Million Dollar Man" play every time you go out to the garage to drive it.

Yeah, I worry about that but my goal was not to end up with a garage queen. I guess in a way it is good that these cars never seem to appreciate so it's not like I will end up with a valuable museum piece. I plan to drive it a lot as long as it is a dry day.

So 4 times a year here in Washington... Beautiful work.

WOW!
Every little nut and bolt looks (or is?) brand new on your car.
I don't know if I have seen another build with this attention to detail.
Thanks! Every used part has been cleaned and powder coated or painted as appropriate. Based on prior posts by Bernice and others regarding fastener and lock washer fatigue, I replaced all of the smaller more common bolts with new, but did reuse the larger, more unique ones. All of those bolts as well as any non-painted metal parts were all yellow zinc plated. I am using all new nuts, that are mostly all flanged. All of the new bolts are also flanged. When I restored the Honda engine, I found that Honda did not use any washers, locking or otherwise, pretty much anywhere on that engine, just flanged bolts and nuts. As I am reassembling the Fiat, I have eliminated mostly all of the washers, except areas that that need a fender washer to spread out the loads or to minimize damage to painted surfaces.

Last edited:
There is little to no good reasons to NOT replace each and every threaded fastener when work is being done on a vehicle of this age unless the specific threaded fastener is very special. Some might view this as excessive, wasteful and not needed. Once the consideration of corrosion, possible abuse by prior wrenchers and more replacing the threaded bits is low cost insurance (purchased by the 100pc per size and typically $5 to $30 per 100 pc. from the local industrial distributor. mixed new surplus lots can also be found on ebay for a absolute bargain at times) and makes re-assembly easier and much nicer in many ways. This is why there is a wide variety of metric grade 8.8 to 12.9 cap screws and metic stainless in the shop. Plain nuts are generally not used or allowed except for applications that specifically require them. The most commonly used metric nut in the shop is a DIN6926, non-serrated flange nylon prevailing torque nut.
http://www.metric-threaded.com/browse.aspx?category=Metric Nylon Insert Flange Nuts&id=2196

Parts and assemblies designed and made for the exxe and other specific projects like this get the aerospace fastener treatment with few exceptions. Or specialized threaded fasteners for the engine and similar come from ARP.

Most dis-liked with mechanical stuff like this, stuff falling off or failing in service under any conditions and threaded fasteners that have become stuck for a host of reasons.

Threaded fasteners, plumbing, how parts are made and materials used in their production, their design are more often than not the root of many evil problems. The vast majority of these can be cured with varying degrees of effort.

We recently built a Triumph TR6 from the new Ratco frame up like this with most of the OEM triumph parts replaced with modern bits or designed and fabricated from scratch. Zero threaded fastener problems, zero plumbing problems, It all just works much better than as delivered.

Bernice

Had some more time today so was able to get the front brakes on. I had picked up an Allison's Big Brake kit last year from Gerald (Roobus) that didn't work out with his wheels. I had to shim the brackets out from the hubs a couple of millimeters to get the calipers centered on the rotors, but once I had that solved, it all went together nicely. Tried out one of the new wheels I got from Vick's and it fit nicely with plenty of clearance to the calipers. When I had the car in the body shop, Doug Martin had suggested that I have them roll the leading edge of the fenders to (hopefully) ellminate the tire rubbing. I also remember a suggestion by Matt at MWB and shimmed the radius rods back several millimeters as well. The tire seems to have good clearance at full lock, and seems nicely centered in the wheel well so I am happy with that.
Wilwood brakes 01.JPG

Wilwood brakes 02.JPG

Wilwood brakes 03.JPG

Last edited:
Back