K20A Euro R Swap - Project Inheritance

asudiswa

Daily Driver
This is the beginning of my K-swap project that I recently inherited from my dad @ljairtool that passed away January 8th 2021. A little history of him and the car. He was from the Denver area, and was an jet aircraft mechanic. He had few hobbies, but the ones he had he was very obsessed over. One of those being his X1/9. He owned one when he was younger. His best friend told me stories about them fitting 4 people in that car, and getting into all kinds of shenanigans. This car is a 1987, and I have found all of his order receipts, and things he done to the car to keep it running over the years (he never threw away anything). He had some health issues in the past which is why I surmise that he didn't complete this project. This will be a restomod project, and I expect it will take some time to complete. I am located in South Carolina, and will be working on this mostly out of my home. Here is the beginning state of the car.
IMG_2823-compressed.JPG

IMG_2824-compressed.JPG

IMG_3649-compressed.JPG

Reactions: 81x
Here are photos of the first cleaning of the engine bay, and photos of the rust. She's still greasy underneath, but I'm going to increase the concentration of the degreaser, and hopefully cut through the majority of the crud. I'm hoping that the rust is not too bad, but the car was in Washington, and in Denver so 😬. The car only has approx. 93k miles on it though. I'm picking up a shell car this weekend, and will hopefully get some usable panels to repair these bad spots. I will also repair the heater pipes, and coolant lines. Thanks to Hussein for posting his repair as I'll use that as a way to repair the tunnel and have it serviceable in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_3640-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3640-compressed.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3630-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3630-compressed.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3631-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3631-compressed.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3632-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3632-compressed.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_3633-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3633-compressed.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3634-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3634-compressed.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3635-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3635-compressed.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3636-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3636-compressed.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3637-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3637-compressed.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3638-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3638-compressed.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3639-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3639-compressed.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I may try to save the seats, but I have also seen some nice leather done on here as well. I also think that I will delete the bumpers as I think that looks really good. All in all I think the car may be in decent shape compared to what I have seen out there. The white car is what I have seen on the bumper delete that I like, but I may change the tail lights, and paint it a little different.

Attachments

• IMG_3649-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3649-compressed.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3650-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3650-compressed.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3652-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3652-compressed.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3653-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3653-compressed.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3654-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3654-compressed.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3655-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3655-compressed.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3593.PNG
    IMG_3593.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
Looks like he was hooking up an amp, and doing some electrical work. I don't like the setup here with the cloth over the speakers so that will probably change. I definitely will need help on electrical as it is a weaker point of mine (mild color blindness), and tying into the Honda wiring. Was debating doing a PDM setup, but that may be overkill. Just starting to look into this though.

Attachments

• IMG_3647-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3647-compressed.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3648-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3648-compressed.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3651-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3651-compressed.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3645-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3645-compressed.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 148
Step 1, Clear out garage.
Step 2, Change locks to garage so no one can infiltrate your space
Step 3, Enjoy
Haha that was my dad's garage. It has been cleared my man was a pack rat lol. Unfortunately my house doesn't have a garage, and they get upset about buildings so all I have to work with is my two sheds. I may get a spot later on that will give me more room, and coverage.

So you found a photo of my white 1984 Exxie. -I am flattered. No K20, it is a modified Uno Turbo swap, but maybe some pics from the build process may inspire you.
Good luck with the project.
Sweet!!! I’ll check it out bc I thought that was awesome! I forget where I saw it at but yes sir that thing is sweet as heck. Thanks I wouldn’t have picked the K20 to start off 🤣, but my dad put that in motion prior to his passing.

Started work on the car today. First thing was removal of the wing. Had a stubborn bolt that had to be ground off. Had some pitting on here, but not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
IMG_3686-compressed.JPG

IMG_3687-compressed.JPG

Next moved on to flap discing the rust to see how bad it is. All things considered it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Two really bad spots on rear driver valance area, and the second on the rocker panel adjacent to the passenger door.
IMG_3698-compressed.JPG

IMG_3699-compressed.JPG

IMG_3705-compressed.JPG

IMG_3706-compressed.JPG

The rest of the rust areas will be below but these were the two bad spots. Then I found bondo think my neighbor jinxed me on that one bc he literally said I can't believe there's no bond on the car then boom on the driver's side rocker panel it showed up. I suspected something when I knocked on them when I checked out the car. So hopefully the donor car has good driver's side panel as well. All in all considering where the car came from I am surprised it isn't worse on the rust so far (famous last words haha).
IMG_3700-compressed.JPG

IMG_3704-compressed.JPG

I then proceeded to remove the front and back bumpers. @Bjorn Nilson I couldn't help myself, but to see that backside!!! I must be a butt man!
IMG_3696-compressed.JPG

IMG_3697-compressed.JPG

Also if anyone knows how to remove this plastic on the bumper without the brute force method I did that may be helpful for someone in the future that wants to keep the bumpers. I could have probably drilled them out, but I didn't have the patience for that. My bolts ended up breaking off, and I couldn't hold the square bolt heads with the plastic piece still attached.

IMG_3695-compressed.JPG

Glad to start progress on the build. I've ordered the transaxle rsx casing, and I have ordered the intermediate shaft as well. Progress may be slow after I finish the body work/tunnel repair as the car currently runs, and I want to drive it some in it's current state.

Attachments

• IMG_3688-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3688-compressed.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3689-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3689-compressed.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3690-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3690-compressed.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3691-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3691-compressed.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3692-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3692-compressed.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3693-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3693-compressed.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3703-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3703-compressed.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3708-compressed.JPG
    IMG_3708-compressed.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Since I'm slowly conquering some rust issues on my '75, I think you might find the rusted areas you've shown might be a little more extensive than apparent at first glance. If you can't source what you need from a parts car, take a look here. Their panels are spot on and delivery to the US is quick.

FYI, not sure if you know or not, but that wing was factory on the 87 cars. Not sure if you want to keep it because of that or not--but FYI.

Since I'm slowly conquering some rust issues on my '75, I think you might find the rusted areas you've shown might be a little more extensive than apparent at first glance. If you can't source what you need from a parts car, take a look here. Their panels are spot on and delivery to the US is quick.
Yeah I’m anticipating a little more on the backside. I’ll definitely check them out thanks man!!

FYI, not sure if you know or not, but that wing was factory on the 87 cars. Not sure if you want to keep it because of that or not--but FYI.
Yeah I know they were factory. Since I’m bastardizing it with a Honda motor I figured all bets were off on keeping it looking stock. I’m debating on keeping the wing at the moment. I have a replacement already, but I need to clean up the rust underneath.

Yeah I know they were factory. Since I’m bastardizing it with a Honda motor I figured all bets were off on keeping it looking stock. I’m debating on keeping the wing at the moment. I have a replacement already, but I need to clean up the rust underneath.

And I meant to say condolences as well.
And yes, I'm all for losing the wing! :)

And I meant to say condolences as well.
And yes, I'm all for losing the wing! :)
Thanks bud. I’m leaning that way too but also like different variations that I’ve seen. I’m doing some other mods back there, and once I see how that looks then that may help me decide. I got a while before that though.

Picked up a donor car that was chopped up for another guy’s project (he’s doing an electric conversion). This one is pretty rusty but has some good areas that I can cut out. I’ll also salvage the tunnel here. I was also thinking about using this one as an initial run for the cuts on the kswap as well.

Attachments

• 991D3049-7186-4853-B9A7-9B56CFC5D482.jpeg
    991D3049-7186-4853-B9A7-9B56CFC5D482.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 136
I have several body panels from Eurosport that I had ordered to do some rust repairs and then I acquired a pretty rust free parts car that I plan to harvest a lot off of. Let me know what you might need before ordering anything.

I have several body panels from Eurosport that I had ordered to do some rust repairs and then I acquired a pretty rust free parts car that I plan to harvest a lot off of. Let me know what you might need before ordering anything.
Nice! Thank you I’ll definitely let you know. I think I’m going to blast the car or strip it to get the full extent of what I need.

Back