K20A Euro R Swap - Project Inheritance

Have been working on rebuilding the heater box. If you’re working on this @LarryC has a really detailed thread on rebuilding these boxes, and upgrading the a/c. Many thanks to him for documenting it so well. Below is what the box looked like when it came out of the car.View attachment 75427View attachment 75440View attachment 75429View attachment 75430
Sadly that is extremely typical of vintage cars' heat/ventilation boxes. It is also a health hazard, particularly if the box houses a AC evaporator or the car lives in a very wet climate; the combination of all sorts of debris, moisture, and heat make for a rather perfect "petri dish" to cultivate lots of harmful cultures.

Here is what I did to rebuild mine based on his thread. I bought a blower motor from MWB after trying many different new motors that were suggested as alternatives, but to no avail. The one I got from MWB was really good, and the only thing I did was add a layer of paint to ensure it doesn’t rust anytime soon. Originally I had my heater core repaired as they’re impossible to find, but the evaporator had a leak at one of the joints so I went on a mission to find a company that could replicate the OE unit. Surprisingly they also could do the heater core as well. They did so with pretty good accuracy the only thing I had to do was increase the hole size so I could fit a stand-off on the evaporator. Below is what the finished box looks like and the company that recreated the hc and evap.
Very nicely done! 😍

Here is what I did to rebuild mine based on his thread. I bought a blower motor from MWB after trying many different new motors that were suggested as alternatives, but to no avail. The one I got from MWB was really good, and the only thing I did was add a layer of paint to ensure it doesn’t rust anytime soon. Originally I had my heater core repaired as they’re impossible to find, but the evaporator had a leak at one of the joints so I went on a mission to find a company that could replicate the OE unit. Surprisingly they also could do the heater core as well. They did so with pretty good accuracy the only thing I had to do was increase the hole size so I could fit a stand-off on the evaporator. Below is what the finished box looks like and the company that recreated the hc and evap.

This is some great work! The coolerclassics.com URL doesn't work, though. I'm interested in getting a new heater core from them.

This is some great work! The coolerclassics.com URL doesn't work, though. I'm interested in getting a new heater core from them.
They are mostly operate on eBay. That's how I found them. I can check with them to see if they have created a link for these on there if you want me to.

Having a spare shell definitely helps with a rough mock-up. Spare lines my dad had saved from his aircraft mechanic job, so I thought about incorporating them into the tunnel on the new car has a minor leak on the core line and the end is rusted. I'd hate to replace all the core and put crud back through. I know I could just run a rubber line, but I like the thought of adding these in.

Attachments

• tempImageQqDY5A.png
    tempImageQqDY5A.png
    3 MB · Views: 64
  • tempImagea1smfP.png
    tempImagea1smfP.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8422.jpg
    IMG_8422.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 68
Sadly that is extremely typical of vintage cars' heat/ventilation boxes. It is also a health hazard, particularly if the box houses a AC evaporator or the car lives in a very wet climate; the combination of all sorts of debris, moisture, and heat make for a rather perfect "petri dish" to cultivate lots of harmful cultures.

going OT with this - I'd like to add a filter to the Datsun for the same reason - can't find any (generic cabin filters) that fit the tiny form factor :(

going OT with this - I'd like to add a filter to the Datsun for the same reason - can't find any (generic cabin filters) that fit the tiny form factor :(
I've played with adding cabin filters on a couple of vintage cars. It seems to come down to two options; either do something a bit crude that may help keep larger particles out (like a mesh screen that you can contour over the intake opening), or get really lucky and find a existing filter that your specific application can be fitted with somehow. That second option hasn't happened for me yet. :(

I've played with adding cabin filters on a couple of vintage cars. It seems to come down to two options; either do something a bit crude that may help keep larger particles out (like a mesh screen that you can contour over the intake opening), or get really lucky and find a existing filter that your specific application can be fitted with somehow. That second option hasn't happened for me yet. :(
I’ve been mulling this over too since you posted that 😂. Part of the challenge I’m running into is accessibility to the space even i could figure something out as a cabin filter solution how easily could it be replaced. I’ve even debated fabricating something under the cowling outside. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t fully put the box back in as of yet. I really would like to figure something out for that.

Back