He's no longer answering emails. They don't go thru.
I don't know the current status of his business, it was a couple years ago that I used him. However I recall that there were times when he was not able to answer emails for long periods. He travels to a lot of trade shows, etc and isn't able to respond until he returns. But did you get the emails returned as undeliverable?

I just looked at the site. It says the last update was made March 24, 2020. So I'm sure he must still be in business. I notice there are two ways to contact him (in addition to calling). If the email isn't working, try the "inquiry form" link: http://keysforclassics.com/form

There is also an old Chrysler blank that will work
I believe that might depend on which blank your X uses, there was more than one type over the years. I don't recall the details but the Keys4Classics site (and other places) describes them.

I asked keys4classics for a cide cut key form x19. It was one year ago. Theybsuggested to find a local shopt that could do that, because Europe is a bit far from Australia. I found a local one, they made wrong code cut key, because, they made a key from code that is on the lock, instead getting cutting heights from the code.

I didn’t saw email from keys4classics, they sent me all info that locksmith will need,what exact type of blank , and exact heights of cuts, for free.

I don't know the current status of his business, it was a couple years ago that I used him. However I recall that there were times when he was not able to answer emails for long periods. He travels to a lot of trade shows, etc and isn't able to respond until he returns. But did you get the emails returned as undeliverable?

I just looked at the site. It says the last update was made March 24, 2020. So I'm sure he must still be in business. I notice there are two ways to contact him (in addition to calling). If the email isn't working, try the "inquiry form" link: http://keysforclassics.com/form

will be taking them to my locksmith to get keys made but I know from experience that he likely does not have any Fiat blanks on hand. Usually if he does have the blanks he can do the job while I wait, but if he doesn't then I'll have to return after he orders them (and he is in CA while I am in NV, so not convenient). That's why I was hoping to pre-purchase the blanks.

When I took the blanks I bought from Keys 4 Classics to my locksmith, he would not cut them, as they were steel, and his machines were set up for brass.

When I took the blanks I bought from Keys 4 Classics to my locksmith, he would not cut them, as they were steel, and his machines were set up for brass.
Interesting, I'm a little surprised a locksmith would not have the equipment to do all types of keys. However as was noted I ended up not using a local locksmith and having Keys4Classics code cut them. So I don't know what would have happened at my locksmith.

Did You use this email adress?
1A5875FB-9EF9-4D16-837D-9ED7150BF674.png
850562DD-8F54-4449-A47A-5A7EDAC1BE24.jpeg

Interesting, I'm a little surprised a locksmith would not have the equipment to do all types of keys. However as was noted I ended up not using a local locksmith and having Keys4Classics code cut them. So I don't know what would have happened at my locksmith.

I bought blanks for my '85 from eBay seller "spidercenter" and they too were steel. When I took them to my local locksmith the first thing he did is grab a magnet. "These are steel." He cut them for me, reluctantly. They don't like cutting steel keys because it wears out their cutters. Almost all keys in the US are fairly soft brass alloy that machines like butter. Not sure why Italy is different. Anyway, there are several different styles of blank used for different year models of the X1/9 according to spidercenter. Some look surprisingly similar so look at the closeup pictures of the notches VERY carefully. I almost ordered the wrong profile catching it seconds before hitting the buy it now button of no return. They combined shipping and the keys arrived from Cairo, Egypt in 2 days!
P_20190918_180950.jpg

Link to spidercenter eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/spidercenter?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Almost all keys in the US are fairly soft brass alloy that machines like butter. Not sure why Italy is different.
I don't think it is Italy that's different as much as the era. Many cars from that time frame (70's-80's) had steel keys instead of the soft ones that are so common now. For example I know the German made vehicles came with steel keys. But if you went to get a copy made locally it was likely a soft blank. I vaguely recall it was a bit of issue in the beginning; they were using aluminum that was so soft if would twist, bend, or break with normal use.

I've never owned many American cars so haven't noticed, do new Fords, GM's, etc, that come with those "chipped" keys use steel for the blade? Or are they all soft metals now also?

Everything is remote entry/pushbutton start now using a clunky fob. They have buttons for door and trunk pop and a "panic button". If the fob is anywhere in the vehicle pressing the pushbutton activates the starter. The doors won't lock if the "key" is inside the vehicle. Some have an emergency key hidden inside the fob to get into the car if the battery is dead. It looks more like an allen key than a real key. Those fobs are pretty bulky too. Not an issue if you're a lady with a handbag but if you carry them in your pockets like most guys it can be annoying. Personally, I hate the things.
Ford-key-fob.jpeg

Everything is remote entry/pushbutton start now using a clunky fob.
Good point. I was thinking of the ones just prior to the 'push button start' era, with the chip embedded in the head - like this:
ford+key.png

And I realized I have one (shows you what I think of American vehicles, forgot that my "work truck" is one). So I stuck a magnet to it to see if it sticks. It does not. But it did stick to the keys that "Keys4Classics" made for me.

Back