My Car So Far...

That's a good one (PMH). Bart Simpson had a number of similar pranks when he would call the bar (where Homer always went) and have Mo page various names, like I.P. Freely, Seymour Buts, and Hugh Gass.

How about Paul Mike Hawk?
Try saying that one fast

Had a friend in my early 20’s whose name was most unfortunate- Mike Hunt. Don’t have to be drinking to mess that one up.

People mess up my name all the time - but at least it doesn’t translate into genitalia, bodily functions, or diseases. One of my (many) younger sisters was christened Valeria, and changed to Komarijah as a young child......

Avatars are also a generation thing, mostly. You could be sure that Daniel Forest, Paul Valente and Steve Hoelscher (just to name a few) are all in their late 50's. Well, I am. On the other hand, some older people will try to fool you in trying to make you believe they got an education. Like saying they are a "doctor". Sociology doctor? Hey Bubba?

Run Forrest, run!

Avatars are also a generation thing, mostly. You could be sure that Daniel Forest, Paul Valente and Steve Hoelscher (just to name a few) are all in their late 50's. Well, I am. On the other hand, some older people will try to fool you in trying to make you believe they got an education. Like saying they are a "doctor". Sociology doctor? Hey Bubba?

Run Forrest, run!
Hey, don't tack on too many years for me! I'm only 51....well, for a another day-and-a-half I am ;)

So Ive made some progress today

New boots
E2F3FEC0-2867-4783-8ABE-17C694742DDB.jpeg

Replaced one of my bad toe link ball joints

4B13E95D-2329-4297-AD98-E76F56701213.jpeg

Cleaned up CV stub shaft and back of bearing to take new Vseals and hardware

550D8257-D747-49A4-989A-E4261F8850DF.jpeg

These are not torqued or staked yet so that I can clear the ball joint upon instalation

Last edited:
I kept track of where all the control arm shims go but I cant guarantee they were right when I took them off and they may have changed with the new bushings anyways. Can someone breifly explain the methodology of thier placement? They are placed so that the top of the shock is level with its mount correct? Am I looking for alignment with the holes or flat mating surfaces at the tower?

Locking collar solved. I ended up shoving a tiny piece of rubber hose down the hole so as not to mar the threads. Seems to work pretty well.

941BB924-F752-4602-9E84-D62E7214A488.jpeg

Regarding the shim question. The shop manual calls them shock absorber shims for some reason in the diagram but I guess they arent for aligning the shock. Anyways I found another thread that says they are only there to take up space between the body mounts and control arm but its very brief. Can anyone confirm? If this is the case the bushes I put in will need to be re-shimed to fit.

Last edited:
Ok and the Mwb website says something about wheels so now Im thinking they are used to center the wheel as well?

My user name is from my work email which I have had for 26 years, it just became easier to just use that persona across all the forums etc I partake in. So if you run across another kmead, its pretty likely to be me, my apologies in advance...

Regarding the shim question. The shop manual calls them shock absorber shims for some reason in the diagram but I guess they arent for aligning the shock. Anyways I found another thread that says they are only there to take up space between the body mounts and control arm but its very brief. Can anyone confirm? If this is the case the bushes I put in will need to be re-shimed to fit.

Are you referring to the varying thickness shims (washers) placed fore/aft in the control arm-to-body pivot locations? Those are for wheel alignment purposes. New bushes should merely return the alignment to spec, so the shims would go back in the order/placement they came from. If you don't know, just put them in as best you remember. The alignment shop can move them around as needed, based on setup readings & deviation.

Never-seeze the crap out of those adjuster ring set screws, or they will corrode in place.

Yes thats what Im talking about. Ill put them back and have the shop mess with them if they are off. They must be for centering yes? Toe has the toe link and camber is at the shock mount and bolts (if you have installed camber adjustment plates etc).

This is what had me questioning established reality
68096DF5-B8BB-4E7B-B2F4-E29C84A8A2B2.jpeg

Yeah, that looks more like a lost in translation issue. Don’t know what the bushings are called in Italian, but they are clearly referring to them in the diagrams.

This is something Steve h can best answer. I copied this from him long time ago: " The reason for the shims is to correct for the manufacturing tolerances of the chassis mounts and a-arms. They have little if any effect on alignment. "

So they are purely for filling the gaps between arm and mount bracket? Then why have such a wide range of shin thicknesses? On mine, there at least 4-5 different gauges of shim. No sure why they would need to get that involved if it’s just to center the pivot / arm without deforming the ( upside down) “U” mount?

Back