My Car So Far...

Getting there.
4CFBF76F-F890-419A-92BA-09D5B6D25CB6.jpeg

Ok so another mystery (well to me anyway)

I decided while I was there to replace my brake pads and clean up the sliding wedge areas shiny smooth. But I noticed that my rears had two different wedges.
These were right rear
881B1524-ACC7-4687-A45F-ACCE077CFC89.jpeg

And these came from the left (drivers) rear

EE0D03DB-7B70-488B-809B-8A6BB086C2FE.jpeg

So I guess my question is as always: should it be this way?

Looks good. The replacement rubber caster rod bushings have a short life anyway. I bought poly to replace them this last time around. Haven't had time to install them yet though. I'm leery of pulling my caster rods off the control arms - the locating bolts through the straps look to be very frozen to the arms.

Decided to tackle a small job and rebuild my shift linkage. I had already cleaned up the shift lever end a while back. All the bits were pretty good so I just cleaned and greased where needed. Plus I perddy’d up the stick a bit. Classy.

4821A8EC-B54D-4E04-9C84-12876EF48086.jpeg

Unlike the shift rod pivots the linkage was anything but good

1B5E30B5-3FC8-4EB3-8756-4D4F9D92CCA6.jpeg

If possible the bush was worse. A normal threaded bolt was used and the bushing was way past its prime, a good half thickness and egged way out. Also the sandwich plates were stacked in the wrong order

43940359-5B81-498D-AE14-8E5731DB8AF9.jpeg

Of course I also had to endulge my search for cleanliness

Before
1956C42A-69A2-4720-9381-80CDBB2D1B0D.jpeg

After
912F13AE-BE9C-4050-A220-C446C8E67672.jpeg

Because duh clean cars go faster. Grime has mass and that’s my story

I have the same affliction, the compulsive need to clean and detail every part down to the smallest nut and bolt. :)

Curious where you got the bushing/bolt for the lollipop?

When you went through the shift-lever-selector mechanism, did you notice any wear/play at the ball pivot joint? I've read there are rubber/nylon rings above and below the ball that can be replaced. Supposedly this makes a big difference in the motion/feel of it. I'm referring to down inside here...

4821A8EC-B54D-4E04-9C84-12876EF48086.jpeg

I haven't torn one apart to see, but looking at different sources there seems to be different images of what is in there. The first two images (below) are the upper and lower rings listed on one site. But looking at the listing from another site these pivot bushings appear very different. So not 100% certain what you found.

4333412.JPG
4318468.JPG

I replaced those on mine, but it made no difference. They really showed no signs of wear ('87, 135K miles). Lubed with some (Volvo) silicone paste.

MWB sells the shouldered lollipop hardware, that's where I went for it.

Follow up to my prior post:

The other image I saw of shift lever pivot bushings is below. The items discussed appear very different here, but these factory parts diagrams are not very accurate so not sure. Is there more than one style bushing arrangement?

X46.jpg

I assume #9 and #12 are the chassis mount and cover plates and not bushings? If so, I don't see any bushings like I showed in my earlier post, unless the 'red arrow' items are them (not labeled here, with no corresponding part numbers so can't tell). Plus one is in the wrong location.

As for the lollipop bushing/bolt, here is what I see listed on several vendor's sites. Compare it to the ones Ben showed above...a bit different, so wondering where his came from:
21094.jpg

Mine is an 85 and looked like the diagram where the nylon ball (red arrow) rests in the support (blue arrow). Like Hussein’s experience mine showed little to no wear so I just cleaned and lubed them. I did notice that getting the right tightness on the bolts effects the feel a bit. Kind of a not too tight not too loose thing. Im sure there is a torque spec somewhere. My parts are from MWB and yes they arrived different from the pic but I also believe there is an early/late split in bushing type as well. Looking at your photo the bolt doesnt have the same stepped collar as mine. Let me see if I have a pic of the shifter on my computer theres none on my phone, maybe I took some.

I take it back the kit should fit all model years. Went to the site and confirmed via my invoice that part numbers are the same as you have pictured Dr.Jeff. I can attest that everything fits and the feel is transformative, but then again mine was pretty bad to begin with.

Sorry Dr.Jeff I looked on my computer and I guess I never took pics of the shifter while it was apart. It was before I created this thread so I prob didn't think any one would care. However while digging through my folders I did find some other real gems that I don't think I've ever posted so here goes.

Some pre purchase shots. Man, if I had only known then what I know now...I'm only part serious it was always intended to be a challenge and a learning exercise. Talk about budget racer.

IMG_3745.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

Thanks for the feedback. Did yours look like the ones in the above pictures?
Ya, but the ones he shows above look different from what I saw on the MWB site, so was wondering where he got his from.

I thought I had taken pics of it - can’t find them post-PB. I’ll look in my garage for the old ones & post back tomorrow. I saved them since there appeared to be no discernible wear.

Thanks to both of you. Sounds like I was incorrect about possibly two types of bushings for the selector ball. Just a misleading picture that threw me. And since both of you found no problems with the old bushings then I won't worry about it. Good to know. No need for additional pictures of it now, thanks though.

Also Ben, no need for further info on the lollipop bush/bolt. I thought maybe you found them from some other source I did not know about. So was curious if they were different parts. Thanks.

Back