My Car So Far...

Ok so another mystery (well to me anyway)

I decided while I was there to replace my brake pads and clean up the sliding wedge areas shiny smooth. But I noticed that my rears had two different wedges.
These were right rear
View attachment 11273

And these came from the left (drivers) rear

View attachment 11274

So I guess my question is as always: should it be this way?

Your question puzzled me for a few days. Nobody answered.

All my sliding wedges are the same. Just one angle and the holes at the extremity. So the first pic with the 2 angles, I never saw that. And the second pic look like they were custom build. At first, I was thinking about stock wedges with a corner grinded to help insert them, but then, I noticed the second hole is kind in the middle. None of mine are like that. And I probably dismantled 10 X1/9 for parts in the past.

So I looked on MWB web site and the early style are like mine, but I never knew there were some late style. Here is the pic from Matt's web site. Just one hole. But again, both of your pics are different than those. Maybe you got a unique special edition! ;-)
2722.jpg

Thanks for getting back to this it is strange. I got to the fronts yesterday night and guess what? Same thing on both. They dont look like they were DIY at least not by someone who didnt have skill as the metal work has a good finish. They are also longer than the ‘square’ wedges. I just got anti rattle springs for all four corners so maybe when I pull the wedges Ill take a side by side pic
3921E123-C2CE-45B8-9C10-97E7DC36E983.jpeg

Replacement wedges are offered by several sources. Perhaps someone has purchased aftermarket ones at some point and they were different from the originals?

Replacement wedges are offered by several sources. Perhaps someone has purchased aftermarket ones at some point and they were different from the originals?
I concur. I had some "new" brake parts in a box with new wedges. They were shinier but far inferior to the stock rusted ones, so I cleaned and polished and took the best ones I could from the OEMs. Probably depends on the brand for sure.

There are several versions of the OE ones for the X and 124s which use the same calipers and mounts.

The late ones only use one cotter pin and have a bump on them to keep them from pushing through, others have a radius on the surface that touches the slide face of the mounting, there are others as well that I know were OE. The variety is somewhat surprising but given how problematic the base design is in poor weather areas it makes sense that they would try different solutions on the cheapest part of the system.

Completed some little jobs that are adding up!

Checked all my studs. Found one that was slightly damaged. Luckily I was able to drill and retap the hole going to a slightly larger stud but same pitch. Its kinda odd to have one off size but its better than buying a new hub
E9B5A006-7061-429E-977A-3E8E87890752.jpeg

Tapped the front shock collars for locking screws

99FEC259-8F4D-4424-811F-B2CD37456863.jpeg

Brake goodies

20513587-013A-4DB0-879A-FB993D985E34.jpeg

Last edited:
More new hardware

0CD2CC51-10DE-43D8-B346-6D4625319834.jpeg

Mocking caliper hanger/bracket. If you find Fiat diagrams...well...more like a list of things that should be there this should help with how these things actually fit

D752857E-C148-44A4-BA88-FA91995FA2E7.jpeg

Front end is almost complete

96BC978A-2012-407D-A4C4-BB3D95CB849B.jpeg

Native habbitat of a fiat fixer.
1B84247F-EA08-4388-9DD1-C5D2408432A3.jpeg

Im nearing the end of my planned rebuild and as Im sure some of you know things start to dragg a bit after youve been going on and on project after project trying to get your car done but I think Ive got enough oomff to be driveable soon. At least before Christmas, maybe.

Coming Along!

You need to unkink the brake hose if that right side pic was after you were done assembling....

It does look kinked in the above picture. Here is a different angle of the same line:

6DEA62CE-363A-44D4-9E33-31E90155C766.jpeg

This was the smoothest routing I could get on the line. I think it may bee too long. The kink you might be seeing is actually the outer sleeve which has been pushed up and hardened into a little ring IDK why. Or do u mean the loop?

The braided lines are a nice upgrade on this car but they have seen better days. For now I think theyre ok, maybe to be replaced if when I do a brake system overhall. Its been floating in the back of my mind.

It does look kinked in the above picture. Here is a different angle of the same line:

View attachment 11736

This was the smoothest routing I could get on the line. I think it may bee too long. The kink you might be seeing is actually the outer sleeve which has been pushed up and hardened into a little ring IDK why. Or do u mean the loop?

The braided lines are a nice upgrade on this car but they have seen better days. For now I think theyre ok, maybe to be replaced if when I do a brake system overhall. Its been floating in the back of my mind.

The loop on the inside end. The hose is not in a relaxed state as it is routed now. You might get away with loosening the flare nut & spinning the line to find the 'neutral' flow - otherwise, removing the banjo union would be next step.

The loop on the inside end. The hose is not in a relaxed state as it is routed now. You might get away with loosening the flare nut & spinning the line to find the 'neutral' flow - otherwise, removing the banjo union would be next step.

Better yes?

0E668B74-93F1-4486-999F-87790A62A189.jpeg

After doing all four corners one after the next its easy to miss something and good to have some ‘proof reading’ from u gents so thanks. I had actually twisted the caliper around when I was trying to secure it out of the way with bungies.

I couldnt find a good source for the plastic inserts but after calling two vendors I was given basically the same answer/solution. The answer is to use a simple fuel hose of the right size cut to take up the space like this.
View attachment 11271

Admittedly its not perfect but I was told this is actually a decent setup and has been used with success in X race cars which are pushed very hard. Im told the only real downside is mileage life. They must be replaced every 1000 miles or so. Well see how they hold up.

I just replaced the front bushings and discovered that my car was missing these inserts...any advice on what size fuel hose you used?

I just replaced the front bushings and discovered that my car was missing these inserts...any advice on what size fuel hose you used?

I believe I used 3/4” line, but to be fair I rumaged through my ‘hose drawer’ and tried a few till one fit. It only takes about 1/2” length to do both sides. Also measuring the diameter of the radius arm at that end would get you close to the size u need.

Somewhere along the line I put a pause on finishing my longer axle CV joint because I realized it would be easier to instal them if I had my suspension sorted and especially an E brake. So having finished my brakes and suspension I got along with CV stuff

Why did I paint that small exposed section of the axles? Because why not thats why

6824DAC7-37DE-4337-8594-D0D5CC1A3A94.jpeg

5C348067-0249-4D25-9C70-8F8491435A04.jpeg

AABDB22C-F15E-4DF3-9C86-80859828E0DE.jpeg

0B216901-7CBE-4548-878B-9F7F262C5495.jpeg

Last edited:
Both CVs installed and all torqued. As brought up earlier in the thread (Dr. Jeff I believe) the wrong bolts were installed so I ordered up some correct ones. Also made sure to use the short bolts in the right place, ahem, at least the second time round...

6B07168D-FAB2-437F-ADF7-7AEBB072641F.jpeg

This allowed me to drop the car, hooray hoorah! Set ride height and a basic allignment on the car. After everything was basically set I did a quick bounce check on all four corners. Control arms, axles, etc are all in line and relatively level. Yay

DE7795D3-8F9D-4EA8-8871-0B77B18DACED.jpeg

F31E903D-0453-4E3D-AA46-374A87CAC6F9.jpeg

Sometimes its the little stuff. I repaired these old cracked trim peices and finished them in VHT crinkle which matches the plastics texture very well. Add in some new hardware and boom

3C5811F6-D318-46A5-A7A2-686082E45C91.jpeg

Last edited:
Back