Random question for the xweb community...

I work for Hewlett-Packard

You and I are in opposite ends of the business Pete. You deal with the infrastructure and I deal with the ever shrinking toll and DA operator workforce.

Our software collects live call data, predicts future traffic volumes, suggests staffing levels at a 15 minute level, then matches the predicted shifts required to the available operators, accounts for vacations, payroll, etc, etc. It is literally many hundreds of thousands of lines of customized code for almost every major phone company and lots of smaller players.

These days it is a Cadillac in a Kia world. Everyone is downsizing and cutting costs by going to "shrink wrap" software solutions. Hard to complain really, when I started in 85 they told me telco automation would put us out of business in 5 years. Lasting an additional 20 was very good for me and my family.

We were the sh1t for 20 years. Now we are swirling around the bowl hoping to leave a mark to show we were here. ;)

Do'h! You told me HP at least twice...

You and I are in opposite ends of the business Pete. You deal with the infrastructure and I deal with the ever shrinking toll and DA operator workforce.

Sorry, not paying attention. I wasn't aware Consolidated had any contracts with HP.

I feel the same way about my career, it's paid the bills for longer than I thought it would. But the end is looming out there somewhere soon I suspect. Time to reinvent myself, although I kind of doubt it will involve software development, but who knows.

Pete

Working on Porsches

Porsche Mechanic and later on,Technician, the title changed as the multiple control units started appearing and complexity increased . Been working at Porsche independent repair shops for about 24 years now.
Rolf.

Electrical engineer

signal processing, system engineering, numerical programming, electro-optics. I watch TV, too.

Equipment Tech

Work on making all your computers processors and chipsets for Intel as of now before anywhere from instructor for San Diego City College at Great Lakes Naval Base, making concreat pumping trucks(Putzmister), plastic tube (Thatcher Tubes), IV bags (Abbott Labs), Gunners Mate in the Navy. But mainly another Jack of all Trades but Master of None

I am the Vice President for Technology and Chief Information Officer at the University of South Florida in Tampa. I've been in IT now for about 25-30 years after careers in high end/low tolerance steel tool and die fabrication, accounting, the restaurant business (bartender, beverage manager, pizza shop owner) and the tour guide business.

I just got my Masters (at age 57-OMFG) in US History and I'd like to "retire" at some point and teach history to either a community college audience or adult education.

I know little about the X1/9 except I love the looks and the driving...however I have indeed changed my own wiper blades at times, so progress is being made :)

Hey, I just noticed..... What does wrxdrew do for a day job?
I mean you started this thread and all!!!!

During the day I am a car designer (stylist)

Yes there are people who's job it is to make cars look beautiful. The engineers are known to say "garages are square therefor cars should be square" the job isn't as cool as one would think. I spend 5% of my time actually drawing cars, the other 95% of the time is spent fighting for millimeters. You have to make sure everything meets regulations for various legal regulations across the globe. Modern cars are more legislated then you could imagine. Aircraft are probably less legislated... Hence my passion for older cars... Simpler times.

what I was

Until recently, we were a DOD contractor, designing and implementing large scale computer defense systems using custom hardware/software solutions. Our company held seven IBM global solution products. Apparently, the government no longer believes that there is a problem securing their classified information, I feel so safe…… Now looking for a new direction.

Vincent DBA enzo mac

I convert textbooks in to alternate formats for students with disabilities: braille, large print, mp3, etc. I specialize in upper level mathematics, engineering, and braille. I am also a mechanical engineering student.

Self employed auto mechanic

Which is just like a regular auto mechanic except I work longer hours for less pay. :hmm:

I own and operate, along with my business partner, Zahntech Import Automotive in Redmond, WA. We work on late model (1990 and newer) import cars.

Gradient coils-

They are a major component in any MRI system (like in medical imaging) and I design (sort of) and manufacture them.
I have two steady customers, one makes MRI machine operating real time in the operating room. The other one makes smaller machines used on lab animals (mice).
My company is basically a one man show, I am very busy for my age (73) but I sleep well at night.
And then there is my WhiteX, 3 grandchildren and a house to finish.
You must be asking what am I doing in my spare time ??? Sitting on this Xweb...

My job is one of my passions

I am a computer geek for an insurance company. Technically; Senior Systems Engineer. With my main daily duty is managing our Vsphere environment, with a strong emphasis on systems performance (where my previous programming help out quite a bit) With a spattering of supporting other Winblows environments.

Odie

Photographer

Mainly youth sports and seniors (high school) just because I am in a good area for that, but I shoot for a number of photo agencies like Icon SMI, Zuma Press and just got a contract with Corbis. With the agencies I will shoot stuff like NCAA hoops, political news, feature and lifestyle stuff as well as photo stories. You can see my work at carlauerphoto.com

Pilot for Qantas. Domestic only no long haul - we are further away from just about everywhere!!! Been flying for 41 years this year, one day I'll get it right........:wink2:

20 years now as an Aircraft Structure Mechanic...

Fabrication, Assembly of Aircraft sheet metal components and parts, either putting them on the aircraft themselves or building subassemblies, started out at McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach, CA, worked in the airliner overhaul industry, now currently working for Lockheed Martin Aeronautics and I must say the best company I've worked for yet! And yes, I worked on the F-22 Raptor, the now retired F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter, currently building replacement wings for the P-3 Orion. Started out in Palmdale, CA, now in Marietta, GA....currently have a transfer for an upgrade for a position back in Palmdale, CA...waiting for the final interview call! (Wish me luck!)

P.S.- Aircraft worked on over the years: McDonnell Douglas DC-9, MD-80, DC-10, Md-11, Boeing 747,757,737 (LOTS of those!), 727 and can't forget the old Douglas DC-3, what a treat it was to work on that old bird, which is still flying around to this day

Same here. I graduated in Dec 1992. Did you ever take a class with Stan Kong? I was there at the tail end of all the old guard and the old techniques and beginning of the new. Product in my case.

Nice to know there is another here.

I have a great job....

I edit, write, produce and distribute Christian radio programs for churches all over the country. It's fun, it's worthwhile, and I get paid. Can't beat that deal!

Back