Scorpion # 253 project

Me likey!!!
i appreciate all the supportive comments. I have been a fiat/lancia guy for 30+ years. I am now finally able to build this the way I want. I am sure there will be some that will tell me that another way is better and such. I have done 30 years of trial and error, mostly error. A lot of research and reading on the subject. I have built 100's of fiat engines, yes 500+. I do want and need any constructive criticism about what I am doing. If there is anyone who has a professional opinion about something i am doing wrong or maybe something I am forgetting. Or possibly a better way. Please let me know.

Thank you,
Beek

I just have to react to this...

HOLY WHAT THE WHAT ?! 500+ FIAT ENGINE BUILDS?!!! :eek::confused:

Is doing this build like living the "Groundhog Day" movie?

EBEED677-3D43-4CC1-AFE5-E34A1EABF83A.jpeg
25145D33-1728-436F-93D3-AF0AC39F8BF0.jpeg
8B8854D8-E166-4BE5-8A15-8BEE70334B82.jpeg
I don’t have to look up any specs. All in memory. Lol

Last edited:
found the centerline of both cams today. marked the cams and housings. I adjusted the valves just to see where they are in relation to shim size. The exhaust are perfect no shim thicker than 3.25mm. The intake is another thing. 4.60 was the first size. That is too thick for me as i spent money to take 9 grams off the valve weight by using titanium retainers. Why would i want to add that back by using thick shims. So the current dilemma is run the intake hosing without a gasket, just using sealer, or having the housing milled.
IMG_5319.JPG
IMG_5320.JPG

The gathering of dry sump parts!
IMG_5276.JPG
IMG_5277.JPG
IMG_5289.JPG
IMG_5292.JPG

This is a different pump, smaller pump section for pressure 1.2" vs 1.4"

Very cool work here, much respect to you!

In regards to your experience posted above, I suspect anecdotes would be of interest to many of us. Stories like notable fiats/Lancias that you've wrenched on, tasty parts that you've discovered & been able to squirrel away over the years, success & regrets, the vile smell of Al Consentino's aftershave...

Though I'm absolutely a "car guy", I'd only be able to harvest the cylinder head of my car & bring it to a shop for such work as I'm seeing here. You are a mechanic and an engineer, I am a car guy...

Loving this thread!

Very cool work here, much respect to you!

In regards to your experience posted above, I suspect anecdotes would be of interest to many of us. Stories like notable fiats/Lancias that you've wrenched on, tasty parts that you've discovered & been able to squirrel away over the years, success & regrets, the vile smell of Al Consentino's aftershave...

Though I'm absolutely a "car guy", I'd only be able to harvest the cylinder head of my car & bring it to a shop for such work as I'm seeing here. You are a mechanic and an engineer, I am a car guy...

Loving this thread!
the stories could go on for years... lol But I have worked on quite a lot of fiats in my life.. disassembled thousands of them... and I do have Al's books...

Todays work.. I wanted a Spark Plug Valley Cover.. so I made one... There is something way cooler in the works though. This is just the prototype...Stay tuned. Also i received my stainless coolant tubes
IMG_5327.JPG
IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5329.JPG
IMG_5339.JPG

today I decided to work on the oil pan a bit. This is just version 1. I am fabricating an aluminum pan to eventually replace this one. This is my windage tray, sort of. This will go below the actual windage tray and crank scraper. The oil normally hits the pan shield surface and bounces back up to the crankshaft. The screening and holes will allow the oil to flow rapidly back to the pan. The pickups will be installed monday or tuesday.

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5349.JPG

IMG_5350.JPG

IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5352.JPG

IMG_5353.JPG

Today I made the aux shaft for the engine. All it has to do is be an idler for the timing belt. There will be no distributor / oil pump gear driven. I also removed the fuel pump lobe and plugged the end of the shaft.
IMG_5365.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

slightly off topic.... I finally have gotten around to finishing the head for my spider.. Thought I would show a few pictures.. Not the same spec as the lancia overall. But will still be a heck of alot better than stock

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5374.JPG

Finished the oil pan that will be used until the aluminum one is made. Mocked up all the lines and am just about to start the first trial assembly.
IMG_5406.JPG

oh yea. powder coated it too

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

still slightly off topic.. Pretty much finished the engine for my spider. Powder coating went all wrong on the header.. then trying to remove it i set the oven on fire.. blew a fuse.. so there...

IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5443.JPG

I also received my exhaust components and the clutch for the scorpion. Got the crankshaft back from the balancer.. He said it was good to 12,000 rpm... lol

need some opinions, this is for my spider.... Do i powder coat the timing cover silver and paint the stripes red to complement the valve covers. Or do I powder coat the timing cover red to match the oil cap. The Bakelite material will take powder coating no problem

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

too bad a post (vs thread) can't have an embedded vote! I vote silver base with red. my guess is that you'll come out 50/50 ;)

Powdercoat it silver with red striping. A piece that big would be a lot of red, just like it's a lot of yellow now. You could also use an alloy timing cover from a 1.8 Coupe & finish it the same way the alloy valve covers are finished. I'll give you one if you don't have one...

Back