The Abarth X1/9 Prototipo/Stradale Thread

hi Dierk,longtime haven`t heard about you.How`s married life?....
Not only married.... I´m meanwhile a daddy of a one year old son! :grin:
Yes the Filipinetti X1/9 was modified by Valtellina Racing in 1974. They had changed the flares. Here´s a picture from a FIAT promotion day in Puerto Rico.
447PR2_closeup_hp.jpg

Hmmm...

I saw that picture on the web several years ago and it listed the guy sitting there as the owner from Belgium. Interesting clarification.

Hi Dierk,excellent info here.Specially about the cars and their plates....kind of confusing but very interesting!!!...
Hows the bambino?.....Albert

color codes of red and yellow...

Hi,

anybody here, who knows the original color codes (red and yellow) of the Fiat X 1/9 abarth prototipo ?

Red seems to be FIAT 171 matte.

But for yellow I have got different codes.:huh:

Here they are :
yellow = RAL signal yellow brillant
yellow = Volkswagen L65K

Regards, Heinz.

Has anyone ever done a driving light mod like this...

The lower inner lights that sit in the corners of the grill? Looks like on the later cars this would be right where the bumpers would attach. I am not brave anough to try the lower/outer ones that are inset into the front lower air dam connectors :(

DSC00473.jpg

X-19 prototipo rally

I have the full kit from Guy. I am installing it on my X-19 gravel spec group 5 rally car. The car was wrecked in a bad racing off at Ski sawmill rally in northern Pa. I barrel rolled the car 8 times and dropped it 35 ft down off a mountain into a creek bed. The big Russian fix the body work and I decided to install the group IV kit and make it a hillclimb racer. This car has a 1500cc turbo engine with large intercooler. Close ratio 5 speed with 4:81 final drive. this car is really fast! I will take some photos and post. Car is located in Bucks county Pa.

I have the full kit from Guy. I am installing it on my X-19 gravel spec group 5 rally car. The car was wrecked in a bad racing off at Ski sawmill rally in northern Pa. I barrel rolled the car 8 times and dropped it 35 ft down off a mountain into a creek bed. The big Russian fix the body work and I decided to install the group IV kit and make it a hillclimb racer. This car has a 1500cc turbo engine with large intercooler. Close ratio 5 speed with 4:81 final drive. this car is really fast! I will take some photos and post. Car is located in Bucks county Pa.

Please post pics,before the crash,after the crash and after repairs.How many ponies on that motor?......thanks

My favorite Prototipo graphic

I often find myself gazing at this one.....wonderful. I'm thinking about putting it on a coffe cup or tee shirt.

1973_Fiat_X1-9_Abarth.jpg

All i can say is that it looks like an up n down sliding mechanism of some sort.There must be a way to lock it opened or closed.And ofcourse, no factory heavy glass, probaly lighter acrylic so not much weigh to hold on the sliding mechanism.

I think it was similar to the Lancia Stratos mechanism. There is a locking knob or similar that you turn to tighten and loosen.

Stratos version

car_photo_569596.jpg

Prototipo version

X19_3.jpg

x19_15.jpg

pic-4.jpg

As Albert said, some form of plastic, so not heavy to maneuver.

Cheers,

Rob

I think it was similar to the Lancia Stratos mechanism. There is a locking knob or similar that you turn to tighten and loosen.

As Albert said, some form of plastic, so not heavy to maneuver.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks, for closeups. Had seen before Stratos mechanisms, it's more like radial sliding, could work with glass in x19, tried it a how that looks and works few months ago,looks strange.
Got a bit better idea how to make this sliding mechanism work with glass. Three times tried to restore original wire mechanism on one side for few hours unsuccessfuly, it's enough for me.

Back