Uno Turbo blocks and possible displacement increase

For reference, here is the specs of Graversen's X19 Turbo engine, as races in video Bernice posted earlier.

86.4 mm bore
61 mm stroke
6.5:1 compression
2 valves per cylinder
1.4 bar of boost
10,000 rpm redline
Rotomaster Turbo
Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection
1425 ccm and 330 hp
Torque 337nm

Interesting that block was bore not stroked. Probly for higher RPM

What the heck, 90hp and 40Nm more than mine😮. Impressing result with such old stuff. I wouldn't dare to do that with an old mechanical injection (even if Kugelfischer is cult) and legacy ECU. The injectors are crazy big so I guess he is running on E85. Very low compression so I assume even more boost is possible especially if runnig on 85.
Would be interesting to know what kind of cam and size of the turbo he use, and of course how he manage to keep the gearbox together with all that torque.
Yes, I am jealous if you wonder😊

What the heck, 90hp and 40Nm more than mine😮. Impressing result with such old stuff. I wouldn't dare to do that with an old mechanical injection (even if Kugelfischer is cult) and legacy ECU. The injectors are crazy big so I guess he is running on E85. Very low compression so I assume even more boost is possible especially if runnig on 85.
Would be interesting to know what kind of cam and size of the turbo he use, and of course how he manage to keep the gearbox together with all that torque.
Yes, I am jealous if you wonder😊
Keep in mind those numbers represent the maximum/peak values. What matters is the overall curve, how the power is distributed. I do not know anything about that particular example, but if the power comes on in a sharp rise at a high RPM only, with little before that, then it isn't very usable on a street car.

E85 does have advantages with boost. I'd be a little concerned with the consistency of the fuel's E percentage though (at least here, I'm sure it is different elsewhere).

I agree about mechanical injection. It is cool from a historical perspective, but not efficient or accurate - especially for a critical application like boosted. In the 'vintage' VW world (e.g. Mk1 Golf) a Bosch mechanical system (CIS) was very common for many years. On a stock engine, a well sorted CIS system works fine (I still run CIS "basic" on my Caddy). There have been many attempts to modify it for boosted applications. One common approach was the addition of a "extra" injector activated when the boost level reaches a set point. Even Porsche tried a version of that with the early 911 Turbos. But it has proven to be less than effective over time. It simply isn't accurate enough to reliably deal with varying boost levels and AFR demands.

For reference, here is the specs of Graversen's X19 Turbo engine, as races in video Bernice posted earlier.

86.4 mm bore
61 mm stroke
1425 ccm

You may find the reason for the 1425cc size is capacity rules, turbocharged cars are subject to a mutiplication factor for capacity classing, a lot a motorsport bodies use a 1.4 factor, 1425cc x 1.4 = 1995cc so you still end up an under 2 litre racer

Fiat / Lancia used this to effectively back with the Lancia LC2 (the porsche killers) in the 1980's, entering two cars, one just 2cc larger in swept capacity. It meant they had a vehicle entered in sub and over 2 litre sports car categories and won both titles.

These days a lot of motor sport bodies use 1.7 as the mutiplication factor, so you'd aim for about 1160cc capacity to get under 2 litres.

as to the specific choice of bore / strke combination to get the 1425cc?

Perhaps, yes to get it to rev high enough?
Perhaps to have a ?better? bore to valve ratio to allow for fitment of a larger intake or exhaust valve... if the bore is 81mm you have 5mm less chamber width to squeeze the valves into...
Perhaps even for something as simple as availability of head gaskets in an appropriate fire ring size...

But I think once again it was class rules that require the use of ONLY the original block that the car was built with which excludes the use of Mk1 Uno T block or Mk2 UT/PGT block, so he settled on the smallest permissable bore size (to get the thickest cylinder wall possible) and DID alter the stroke of the engine from 55.5 or 63.9 to 61mm to get the 1425 cc capacity, I'm not sure if he used the 1300 X9 block or the 1500 x19 block, but I would think the 1500 block would be the better choice of these two for the taller deck and ability to package a longer rod.

The transmission in that car is also quite unique, a sequential transmission squeezed into the original casing... which again I believe has to do wth specific class rules that the car is built to in its country, that the innards are "free" but the casing must be standard (kind of like the engine rules)

SteveC

Last edited:
1.4 bar of manifold boost can be a bit deceptive as well...

1.4 bar of manifold boost at 30 degrees C IAT is a much denser charge than the same boost level at 50 degrees C IAT

1.4 bar of manifold boost with a shorter inlet valve open duration is different to 1.4 bar of manifold boost with a longer inlet valve open duration. The more the inlet valve is closed the higher the inlet manifold pressure level will be, but we want that pressure inside the cylinder, not in the manifold.

1.4 bar of manifold boost in an engine with a larger valve / more port flow / less restrictions to flow in general is a greater mass of charge than the same engine with a smaller valve / less port flow / more restrictions.

SteveC

By curiosity I had a closer look at the rules for the Danish Special Saloon Series. Most any modification is allowed; engines, gearboxes, engine management etc is free. Minor limitations for rims and aerodynamics.
There are 3 classes basically based on weight/hp ratio:
-Super Touring, 4.25kg/hp
-GT-B, 2.5kg/hp (minimum 800kg incl driver)
-Extreme, Free (minimum 1200kg incl driver)
Based on the specs, the X1/9 fits best in the GT-B class.

I am a little bit involved in a similar setup in Sweden, but I am not competing. We do CAR (Club Alfa Romeo) Challenge with 3 classes. CAR Challenge is open to Italian cars manufactured for the standard car market, mainly Alfa Romeo but also Fiat, Lancia, DeTomaso and Ferrari.
The competitions are run divided into 3 classes where all competitors participate in the same heat. The class division is basically based on power/weight ratio.
We drive according to the principle "Gentlemen's racing" where the main goal is that we should have fun together and drive good, close racing with mutual respect where we avoid contact between the cars.

I hope I didn't rob the thread now.

1.4 bar of manifold boost with a shorter inlet valve open duration is different to 1.4 bar of manifold boost with a longer inlet valve open duration. The more the inlet valve is closed the higher the inlet manifold pressure level will be, but we want that pressure inside the cylinder, not in the manifold.
Just what I think as well. But why then do turbo cams tend to have shorter shorter open duration than N/A cams? I put a 9.5mm lift Ritmo/Strada cam in my UT Mk1 engine. The engine is "dead" above 7000 rpm but very responsive all way up to red line and lots of torque.

Turbo cams tend to have different overlap periods more than different duration or lift.. cam selction depends on a mutitude of other factors too, so just saying "ritmo 9.5 cam" doesn't give where you set the inlet lobe centreline, which is pretty important. If you're getting that much power below 7000 then why do you want to rev it harder?

I recall reading something about the Graversen car, probably on the German X19 forum about a visit the club paid to his workshop. There were picutures of the transmission and engine not in the vehicle in that discussion, and mention of rules that required the transmission casing to be used, hence his one off design of a sequential dog box, whereas he could have just gone out and bought a sequential box had the rules allowed it.

1.4 or 1.7 mutiplication factor for forced induction in motorsport is just about universal for capacity classing.

SteveC

No there's no need to revv it harder, I am just trying to understand how it works. Mysterious things happened on dyno and we are not sure if the turbo bottomed at around 7k or not. In theory the T14 turbo deliver 240-260 hp and we reached those numbers. But when reading UK UT forums many people recommend stock EU X1/9 or Uno 75 cams in the engine. As there was a Ritmo engine in my X when I bought it I thought that cam was my best option. It would be interesting to take the car on dyno with UT standard cam for comparison, but the stock UT engine is not significantly revv happy either.
Overall I am very happy with the performance. The car is very driveable on both street and track (I bet Gravesens car is hard to drive on the street). But the weak gearbox worries me. Luckily I have a X1/9 gearbox in spare and a UT Mk2 (C510) box that would need modification for cable shifting.

But when reading UK UT forums many people recommend stock EU X1/9 or Uno 75 cams in the engine. As there was a Ritmo engine in my X when I bought it I thought that cam was my best option. It would be interesting to take the car on dyno with UT standard cam for comparison, but the stock UT engine is not significantly revv happy either.

It certainly would be interesting to do a back to back test on those two cams, so based on that I'll guess that none of the people doing the recommending had actually done a back to back test either?

I would think the EU x19 would have too much overlap. The ritmo with a similar duration / different overlap period but higher lift than the UnoT cam (I think from memory) could be an improvement if the overlap period doesn't get extended by too much.

With Graversens car we are definitely not talking about an Uno T block anyway, the bore size excludes it, you can't bore one that large.

The biggest piston set I think the factory does is 81.5mm and the turbo specific 14 bolt M10 head gasket to suit the turbo bore size has a fire ring of under 82mm (again from memory as I don't have one here handy to measure) That's one of the other "odd" things about the engine tyoe too, overbores are 81.0 and 81.5.... there is no 0.2mm steps in the turbo piston or piston ring sizings.

I think the biggest set of forged pistons I've seen could be 82mm and special head gaskets at 82.05 ID of the fire ring, so based on that I doubt there is a lot of "safe" over bore potential in the block.

So his particular engine would be more than likley be 128 / X19 /ritmo / uno closed deck 1300 or 1500 block ... not an Uno T or PGT block at all.

and yes I think he paid quite a lot of attention to low restriction and low IAT at 1.4 bar of manifold pressure to get a very dense charge and get the power / torque figures he has... look at the intake pipework and the size of the TWO intercoolers and ducting.
unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

SteveC

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread. A wealth of information!

Its hard to criticize a proven successful winning build, like Graversens, and he clearly did a great job with his piping, but I would think he's leaving significant HP on the table with all that piping. No doubt intercooling (of some sort) is necessary for high boost but, I feel that's where gastrous cooling would lend a big hand. In C4 Vette Turbo/SC builds, we learned Turbo/SCs pushed well, but pulled poor. We found short intake side, Airfilters almost direct to SC was more valuable than cold air feed or tunneled scooped air. On the output side, they tried dual intercoolers w/ fans in front wheel wells under headlights, and found any gains were lost due to the restrictions of excessive piping necessary to interconnect. Problem solved with Gastrous Intercooling, to tune maximum efficiency and consistency of boosting engine. Although much more air flow is needed to support a higher displacement 8 cyl 383 stroked chevy engine, than a 1.4L small bore, so maybe not an equivelent comparison. (not that this thread is about benefits of gastrous cooling).

Bjorn wrote "but 400hp is probably as far you can go without adding water/meth."

Thats pretty amazing, if that much boost can be achieved with just air-to-air Intercooling. Actually pretty amazing that that much boost in any configuration is possible with the FIAT X compatible engines. But I still feel benefits of gastrous cooling can be realized starting at much lower boost levels. And the X19 being mid engine, the rear trunk, inside rear wheel fender, has plenty of space to place a sizable water tank. Gastrous would go a long way towards keeping combustion chamber temps down. My theory is that it could help reduce frequency of head failures. As Steve points out, the head may fail due to alloy becoming weak at high temp, apposed to just compression forces.

SteveC wrote "All Uno T and Punto GT cylinder heads tend to have issues around the areas of 2/3 cylinders, where the exhaust passages are "siamesed" "

Any way to solve that? Just expect it, or is their a better head alternative? Where you referencing both MKII and MKI turbo heads?

Im hearing from this thread and understanding why, for reliability and compromise of all things considered, I'd be much better served starting out a High HP Turbo build with the stronger MK1 Turbo closed block, if I can find one.

However, I'd point out, if I cant find a MK1 Turbo block, there could be advantages of going a different route with lower boost.
Its easier to manage and tune increased displacement (via bore/stroke) because the gain is consistent across the full RPM range.
And small Turbo is physically easier to fit into engine bay than a bigger footprint Turbo.
Could be less expensive, because the alternative high boost application surely will require conversion to Fuel Inj and a more sophisticated Electronic Fuel management system, that potentially could be as or more costly than engine parts and machine work.

If I reference my C4 Vette builds, (I have 4 uniquely different prepaired C4s, 2 race, 2 street). My Stroked 383 Street C4 has about 500HP and a broader high torque range. My near stock 350 modestly centrificle SuperCharged (about 10 PSI) C4 has about 450 HP. (I had to limit boost because engine internals not upgraded to handle more yet). The Non-Supercharged engines is faster. Part of this is because both cars peak out at about 6000 RPMs. The stroke on the 383 is a RPM bottle neck. On the 350, The heads and intakes are flow and RPM bottlenecks. Im certain if I did a performance head upgrade (195 to 210 range), maybe better beehive springs, some stronger pistons, I could safely get my RPMs up much higher, and the SC's Vette would then likely blow away the 383. What I dont know is how well these lessons would apply to a FIAT small bore.

What I am seeing is the only FIAT X1/9s making it over 200HP are Turbo or SC'd.

One of the things that I often get confused on and forget is..... I get in my head Turbo is mostly working only at High RPM.
Thats not really true. The pulley always has a consistent ratio. When Dyno plotted, usually the pre-boosted Torque curve when boosted, the new curve just replicates the old one at a higher level up by near the same amount across the full RPM range. So modifying the engine internally can be beneficial, if there is a reason and desire to modify the torque curve, Sure at High RPM under SC/Turbo, the PSI grows exponentially higher and quicker, because of the RPM multiplication factor, but that's not necessarily seen at the lower midrange drivable range in torque values. obviously many variable due to parasidic losses and temps and such.

No there's no need to revv it harder, I am just trying to understand how it works. Mysterious things happened on dyno and we are not sure if the turbo bottomed at around 7k or not. In theory the T14 turbo deliver 240-260 hp and we reached those numbers. But when reading UK UT forums many people recommend stock EU X1/9 or Uno 75 cams in the engine. As there was a Ritmo engine in my X when I bought it I thought that cam was my best option. It would be interesting to take the car on dyno with UT standard cam for comparison, but the stock UT engine is not significantly revv happy either.
Overall I am very happy with the performance. The car is very driveable on both street and track (I bet Gravesens car is hard to drive on the street). But the weak gearbox worries me. Luckily I have a X1/9 gearbox in spare and a UT Mk2 (C510) box that would need modification for cable shifting.
Cams for turbos are interesting. When I was learning about turbos in general I attended a symposium hosted by the largest turbo manufacturer in America (and one of the largest in the world). The panel was comprised of the leading engineers, designers, builders, and other experts in the turbo world. Fascinating experience. And I've also been able to discuss it with some cam engineers at the SEMA Show. Interestingly when it came to the subject of turbo cams the general concisus is it isn't quite as critical for a boosted application when compared to a NA application - except for one point, lobe overlap [that's not to say the cam doesn't matter when boosted, but the rules are very different compared to NA]. So as @fiatfactory said, the lobe overlap is more important than duration (although the two are often related); less (even zero) overlap decreases the amount of pressure that goes straight through from the intake valve out the exhaust valve (very simplified explanation). Since lobe duration can greatly affect overlap, a higher lift seems to be more befititual than longer duration (again, simplified). Another factor is to maintain good torque at lower RPMs, especially for larger turbos with some lag time. And a profile that benefits the lower RPM range is not necessarily a "high performance" one.

This makes the UT cams seem very odd to me. The stock Mk1 UT cam is quite mild overall, not a high lift and it has a lot more overlap than I'd expect. So in that aspect even the Euro 1500 cam could be an alternative, though still not ideal, as it has more lift and about the same overlap. Even more odd is the Mk2 UT and Punto GT cams; more lift but even more overlap than the Mk1 UT cam. If you look at the aftermarket cams specifically designed for the turbo Fiats from companies like Piper, etc, you will see higher lift and less overlap as I described. I wonder if the factory cams had to be compromised due to emissions or other "practical" reasons? Their turbos have very little lag so I doubt that was the reason for the cams used.

One cam that interests me is intended to be a clone of the factory Euro 1500 cam from MWB. According to its spec sheet it really isn't a clone of the Euro cam at all. But it actually has greater lift and less overlap (zero according to the measurements) than the Euro 1500, or any of the factory turbo cams. So it might be an ideal turbo cam? I'm certainly not a cam expert so it will be great to hear more about this from others.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread. A wealth of information!

Its hard to criticize a proven successful winning build, like Graversens, and he clearly did a great job with his piping, but I would think he's leaving significant HP on the table with all that piping. No doubt intercooling (of some sort) is necessary for high boost but, I feel that's where gastrous cooling would lend a big hand. In C4 Vette Turbo/SC builds, we learned Turbo/SCs pushed well, but pulled poor. We found short intake side, Airfilters almost direct to SC was more valuable than cold air feed or tunneled scooped air. On the output side, they tried dual intercoolers w/ fans in front wheel wells under headlights, and found any gains were lost due to the restrictions of excessive piping necessary to interconnect. Problem solved with Gastrous Intercooling, to tune maximum efficiency and consistency of boosting engine. Although much more air flow is needed to support a higher displacement 8 cyl 383 stroked chevy engine, than a 1.4L small bore, so maybe not an equivelent comparison. (not that this thread is about benefits of gastrous cooling).

Bjorn wrote "but 400hp is probably as far you can go without adding water/meth."

Thats pretty amazing, if that much boost can be achieved with just air-to-air Intercooling. Actually pretty amazing that that much boost in any configuration is possible with the FIAT X compatible engines. But I still feel benefits of gastrous cooling can be realized starting at much lower boost levels. And the X19 being mid engine, the rear trunk, inside rear wheel fender, has plenty of space to place a sizable water tank. Gastrous would go a long way towards keeping combustion chamber temps down. My theory is that it could help reduce frequency of head failures. As Steve points out, the head may fail due to alloy becoming weak at high temp, apposed to just compression forces.

SteveC wrote "All Uno T and Punto GT cylinder heads tend to have issues around the areas of 2/3 cylinders, where the exhaust passages are "siamesed" "

Any way to solve that? Just expect it, or is their a better head alternative? Where you referencing both MKII and MKI turbo heads?

Im hearing from this thread and understanding why, for reliability and compromise of all things considered, I'd be much better served starting out a High HP Turbo build with the stronger MK1 Turbo closed block, if I can find one.

However, I'd point out, if I cant find a MK1 Turbo block, there could be advantages of going a different route with lower boost.
Its easier to manage and tune increased displacement (via bore/stroke) because the gain is consistent across the full RPM range.
And small Turbo is physically easier to fit into engine bay than a bigger footprint Turbo.
Could be less expensive, because the alternative high boost application surely will require conversion to Fuel Inj and a more sophisticated Electronic Fuel management system, that potentially could be as or more costly than engine parts and machine work.

If I reference my C4 Vette builds, (I have 4 uniquely different prepaired C4s, 2 race, 2 street). My Stroked 383 Street C4 has about 500HP and a broader high torque range. My near stock 350 modestly centrificle SuperCharged (about 10 PSI) C4 has about 450 HP. (I had to limit boost because engine internals not upgraded to handle more yet). The Non-Supercharged engines is faster. Part of this is because both cars peak out at about 6000 RPMs. The stroke on the 383 is a RPM bottle neck. On the 350, The heads and intakes are flow and RPM bottlenecks. Im certain if I did a performance head upgrade (195 to 210 range), maybe better beehive springs, some stronger pistons, I could safely get my RPMs up much higher, and the SC's Vette would then likely blow away the 383. What I dont know is how well these lessons would apply to a FIAT small bore.

What I am seeing is the only FIAT X1/9s making it over 200HP are Turbo or SC'd.

One of the things that I often get confused on and forget is..... I get in my head Turbo is mostly working only at High RPM.
Thats not really true. The pulley always has a consistent ratio. When Dyno plotted, usually the pre-boosted Torque curve when boosted, the new curve just replicates the old one at a higher level up by near the same amount across the full RPM range. So modifying the engine internally can be beneficial, if there is a reason and desire to modify the torque curve, Sure at High RPM under SC/Turbo, the PSI grows exponentially higher and quicker, because of the RPM multiplication factor, but that's not necessarily seen at the lower midrange drivable range in torque values. obviously many variable due to parasidic losses and temps and such.
To some extent I disagree with a earlier comment saying displacement doesn't matter. You cannot ignore the increased performance potential a larger engine may offer over a smaller one, it is simple physics. Although engine design certainly has a lot more involved than just size. But especially in the case of a boosted engine, you will benefit from the greater low end torque a larger engine might offer, particularly if the turbo utilized is larger and therefore has some lag. However I think the earlier statement might have been about the level or amount of performance that displacement gives compared to other design factors, as I stated. Especially if we are talking about a hundred or two more CC's. I've always found it a bit funny how European manufacturers would offer several engine choices with 100 or less CC's difference between them. But Americans are accustomed to much larger engines overall so I guess it is a matter of perspective. But I doubt it is worth the expense, effort, and decreased reliability to build a special engine with a small increase in displacement, particularly when it will be boosted and a lot more performance potential is available that way (as others have said). So I think you need to weigh out the cost/benefit factors. I'd be more focused on building it with boost specific components, making it more durable and reliable under the increased loads and heat levels, rather than a little bigger.

Serious item about power, power curve of any given engine is not always about max power achievable from any given petro engine.
There are very real world considerations that must figure into this. Some decades ago, built a Lampredi SOHC specifically for 24 Hours of LeMons racing. While higher peak power can easily be achieved, that was not the primary consideration. Given the real world track conditions of LeMons racing, it was FAR more important to have broad power band and totally un-bustable engine as this is HARD endurance racing folks that will completely stress out any engine to all it's abilities. This Lampredi SOHC engine had custom Wiesco forged pistons (nee 11:1), SCAT con rods, full up ARP stud kits, Clevite race bearings, modified oiling, full up block machine work to assure all was good tolerances wise, big valve head with an Abarth cam and motor cycle carbs with 21-22" headers into a 2.5" exhaust. MSD igniting with a modified Bosch distributor with fixed advance. This engine was totally-utterly reliable for more than two complete LeMons races and track testing.

The Dyno tweaking runs:

Bernice

Again, power capability of any power train cannot be properly utilized if the rest of the chassis-suspension-brakes, steering-wheels-tires and all ~DRIVER~ is insufficient to abilities of the ride. The whole thing is a system that must all function GOOD as a unit.

Bernice

I think it is mostly a question about what you are aiming for, and budget. I can only speak for my self, but my conclusion was that going for an UT engine would be less costly than rebuilding the 1500, and would bring much more power. The UT route is relatively cheap and easy if you can live with 140-250hp. If going for more, like the Graversen or the super crazy Italian builds, prepare to spend a lot more time and money.
Another option is a K20 swap. I like those builds, but I put a value in keeping the car true Fiat, and to me the UT engine in X1/9 is the "Mk3".
There are a lot of discussions about technical design, IC, injectors... in the Turbo Systems thread in this forum. Have a look there as well if you haven't seen it yet.

I think it is mostly a question about what you are aiming for, and budget. I can only speak for my self, but my conclusion was that going for an UT engine would be less costly than rebuilding the 1500, and would bring much more power. The UT route is relatively cheap and easy if you can live with 140-250hp. If going for more, like the Graversen or the super crazy Italian builds, prepare to spend a lot more time and money.
Another option is a K20 swap. I like those builds, but I put a value in keeping the car true Fiat, and to me the UT engine in X1/9 is the "Mk3".
There are a lot of discussions about technical design, IC, injectors... in the Turbo Systems thread in this forum. Have a look there as well if you haven't seen it yet.
Completely agree. Also consider that here in America it is the other way around; finding a UT engine is quite difficult and expensive, as are the parts for it, but building a 1500 is not (relatively speaking). That's why my decision was quite the opposite as yours, despite having the exact same considerations of intended goals and budget. For me it is much less costly (and easier) to add a turbo to a 1500 than source a UT to build. But I certainly would do it differently if the option existed here. So it wasn't a matter of displacement or design, but one of availability/practicality.

Furthermore, the idea of a complete powertrain swap has become much more appealing after going through the process of converting a US 1500 engine to turbo power. And that solves the transmission issues as well.

Or larger displacement Lampredi (TC) turbo for drag racing..

How much power? Depends on need, intent, goals.
Essentially the exxe chassis & suspension is extremely capable and adaptable.

Bernice

Part of what figured into converting the LeMons racer to a Rotary was the stock transaxle. Did not hold up with the Lampredi 1500cc race motor for endurance racing. Short burst of sprint spurts is one thing, when the oily bits are run to their limit hour after hour after hour any hint of fault results is total failure of the oily bits. Club race events don't stress the oily bits to this level as they are not usually run for hours and hours constant with different drivers.

Lampredi motor went "burp"...
x1:9 transaxle gear failure.jpg

Bernice

Bernice,

Bernice wrote "The greatest difficulty with going fast is not power from the power train, it is much if not all about traction and control."

No doubt and good advice. Traction is a top concern, but I believe there is room for both car mechanical improvement and driver improvement when dealing with a X19, before the limitation is traction.

In 2019, I raced Spec Miata in SM class, which I rented. In 2020, I raced my approx 350HP/ 350 torque C4 Vette. Each were more like half seasons, so Im still a Novice, and learning. It was a good choice to start the learning with a momentum car that had such a large participation of drivers. At full thottle the Miata had about as much power as a car could have and still stay on the track, with minimal braking. But when you stomp on the pedal the car barely moves, so you cant slow down too much. And with 30-50 Miata on the track to compare against, it surely was an accurate way to evaluate and learn to go faster. It didnt take long to get within 10 seconds of the top leader, but beyond that, it became challenging to gain every addl second improvement , tied primarily to driver skill. Its was pretty cool to watch the top 4-5 contenders that would be bumper to bumper by a few inches the full 20 min race, winning by half seconds. That experience was much different than driving my Vette, a torque machine with super big tires. You can brake at last minute and really accelerate hard and fast out of the corners. I miss that surge of acceleration that the Corvette has, that the Miata doesn't. Surprisingly it wasnt the straight aways that helped my Vette's laptimes, but more the increased speed around the corners, also because I had the tendency to unnecessarilly brake with the Miatta, out of reflex. The Vette's torque had no problem making back the acceleration.

Now, if we apply those experiences to stock X19..... the spec Miata 1600-1800 engine has significantly more torque and Horsepower (maybe 155-165 HP?) than the stock 65 HP X19 or even built up non-Turbo Fiat (maybe 150HP max). There are plenty of places on the track, where there is high traction, where the Miatta wished it had more power to accelerate. Having more torque and power, doesnt mean you have to use it everywhere, it just becomes Driver learning to control their foot. And I surely would like my Fiat to feel more like a Vette, as a matter of fun, as much as increasing laptimes.

I was likely gonna start my suspension build with sway bars, front coilovers and 15x7 rims in a 195 F/ 225 R config, nothing to extreme.
I have not yet compared in detail the differences between the Miata and X19's suspensions and tire sizes, but I dont believe they are to far different. So I dont know if the X1/9 will lose traction sooner than Miata's or not. The X19 is surely lower weight. And Id argue the X is likely better balanced.

When we're talking 400HP, sure traction becomes a huge concern. But when striving to break the 200HP mark, the car's power previously is a limiting factor. And Driver skill will always improve laptimes for any car of any spec's HorsePower.

Im thinking, a bigger factor of what to build, might just be deciding which class to build for. I most often race at Summit Point WV and NJ motorpark, usually SCCA or EMRA, and Ive never seen an X19 at the road race track to date. So I'd be building for a car manufacturer neutral class.

Back