What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Drove the B16 X into work today! success!! Engine temps stayed at 179-182, when I got to work I went to purge the coolant and there was no air!! woo hoo!! Discovered I have an LS transmission which is good and bad. a little weaker, but geared for more cruising. (3800 rpm at 80 MPH for this trans vs 4000 at 70 for the standard JDM b16). Lots of rattles, so I will have to work those out still. reprogramming of the dash as the engine temp it right about where the steering wheel is at. the intake temp is it clear view so I may swap those around. I can see the numbers for the RPM, but not the graphic bar, so I might move those around as well. Also the screen I did that emulated the X dash, with the reverse tach, I didnt have room for a temp gauge, but if I want to use that screen, considering my issues I have had, I am just going to put in numbers instead for the water temp. and then it will fit.

Odie
View attachment 12853

Congrats, keep working the miles up and eventually it will lead to Grand Rapids :)

Since I finally got the motor in and running.
20180627_203429.jpg

I started working on the peddle box.
20180708_054653.jpg

Cleaning area for paint and reservoir install.
20180707_095323.jpg

I said that I had a secret project and it probably would be best to keep it that way but here it is so far...
I am installing a redneck air conditioner.
I don't have an engine to run the pump so A/C is a bit of a problem.
My X19 is a short range run about and I hardly ever go more than thirty miles at a time.
My daily run is more like 15 miles and I am not out much more that an hour.
It some times gets pretty warm out and a little cool air would be nice.
I experimented with a simple setup with a fan blowing over ice
IMG_4297.JPG
and it works ok but not enough so I made this.
IMG_4291.JPG

A finned aluminum oil cooler fit into a modified housing.
At the time I did the first testing the ambient temp in the garage was between 75 F and 80 F depending on where you stood.
The reading on the A/C vent was 76.6 F and after about 5 minutes of running the fan and water pump it was 35.4 F.
IMG_4293.JPG

I was using about a gallon of ice and water in a small cooler with the lid open and after 10 minutes of running the ice was almost all gone and the temp coming out was 40 F.
IMG_4295.JPG

Right now I am running the water through six feet of insulated 1/2 inch plastic tubing to and from the pump and aluminum radiator.
My plan is to make a custom ice chest that will close tight with in and out lines to fit in the frunk and hopefully shorten the water lines by half.
I am going to try and get last minute details organized so I can take a drive and test it in the heat of the day.

Attachments

• IMG_4294.JPG
    IMG_4294.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 87
I assume this is for an electric powered X? Likely overkill for your needs, but there are aftermarket "add-on" AC systems that are driven by electricity only. Some customizers have installed them in the trunk of a hot rod where they did not want such accessories showing under the hood. They are fairly common on commercial and farm equipment also. Come in various sizes and configurations:
DC-48v-solar-power-air-conditioner-12v.jpg

The chilled water unit you describe reminds me of a medical device to "ice" an injured limb, etc. It uses a small cooler with ice water and a small pump to circulate it through a bladder that is wrapped around the injured body part:
download.jpg

And when looking for pictures of it, I saw this:
Battery-Air-Conditioner-swamp-cooler-sq800g__78144.1468779799.400.400.jpg

I assume this is for an electric powered X? Likely overkill for your needs, but there are aftermarket "add-on" AC systems that are driven by electricity only. Some customizers have installed them in the trunk of a hot rod where they did not want such accessories showing under the hood. They are fairly common on commercial and farm equipment also. Come in various sizes and configurations:
View attachment 12992

The chilled water unit you describe reminds me of a medical device to "ice" an injured limb, etc. It uses a small cooler with ice water and a small pump to circulate it through a bladder that is wrapped around the injured body part:
View attachment 12991
And when looking for pictures of it, I saw this:
View attachment 12993
In your search did you notice the price?
There are a lot of products for cooling but I couldn't justify the cost for the little amount of driving I do.
The blue cooler is very much like my first test.
Put out cool air but not enough.
Blowing air with the fiat blower puts out enough air to fill the cabin relatively fast.
With the parts on hand and the radiator hose and pump I have about $25 invested so far.
I still have some fiberglass and resin that I hope is still usable for the custom ice chest.
Have to get a sheet of foam insulation but hope to keep cost at $100 tottal.
There is not much room left in the little X with the electronics and Batt's.
Weight is another factor.
Had to work real hard to keep the car in the 2500 range.
This is a keep me busy project as much as anything else.
I have to keep thinking of things to give me a reason for getting up in the morning.
I enjoy your feed back Dr. Jeff

Went to properly bleed the brakes today and was unable to get fluid to move through the rear calipers, none on the left side and very little on the right. I recently replaced the brake fluid reservoir and refreshed the pedal box area. Fronts bled fine but x-nay on the rears. I will be removing the left rear caliper and see if I can get fluid through the hard line. Hopefully I didst pull too much vacuum but will trace and diagnose. If not I will get rebuilt calipers, and fresh soft lines out of the deal. Ignore the added hole in the wallet...

I wonder if I didn't hook up the pedal box properly.

Clutch bled fine and feels okay. Wont know until its off ramps and driving.

Took my wife to lunch in the X19 today. It got 90 degrees outside and my DIY air conditioner worked fine.
Had some issues with amp draw using the old stock 74 X19 blower motor and even after a take apart, clean and inspect it still pulled more than I liked.
Switch it out for an old carb cooling fan and the volt gauge doesn't dip as far.
The air from the double squirrel cage blower would knock your off but pulled too much juice plus being noisy.
The single cage puts less volume of air but is adequate and is less noise.
Two liters of ice and about the same of water in a six pack sized cooler and after a two hours of running around still had a fist size piece of ice left as we pulled into the garage with 55 degrees air still coming out of the center vent.
Next step is run some vent tubing to the corner vents to get rid of the still warm spots by the doors.
My next step after that is I would like to put a solar panel on the engine cover so I could leave the A/C going when parked.

Time to get some dry ice to increase the size of the thermal differential. You might be able to go days...

Using the smaller blower might increase the life-span of your ice as well. I think with less air flowing across it the heat exchange will be a bit slower, prolonging the ice's frozen state. And it sounds like you are getting the cabin temp low enough with it. So perhaps a better blower all around.

Time to get some dry ice to increase the size of the thermal differential. You might be able to go days...
My thoughts too. Watched some videos on DIY ice chest A/C and dry ice didn't work as well as expected. I don't know where I would find dry ice around here plus there is the expense and the hassle of getting it. I have cut 2 liter soda bottles in half and freeze water in them. I think for my needs it will work fine.

Using the smaller blower might increase the life-span of your ice as well. I think with less air flowing across it the heat exchange will be a bit slower, prolonging the ice's frozen state. And it sounds like you are getting the cabin temp low enough with it. So perhaps a better blower all around.
Again my thoughts on less air flow slower ice melt. Too soon to tell yet. The bigger blower pressurized the cabin better with just the center vents. The lesser CFM not as much on the single fan so that is why I have to get some air to the vents on the ends of the cash.

I managed to get an engine/trans into my car today.

1500 engine installed 2018_07_19.jpg

Still a number of things to do (like installing the rear suspension) before I go for a ride. It has been just under a year since I rolled the car out into the yard, hosed it down, and contemplated what it would take to make it run again. My last ride in it was 10/30/1995. The old engine blew on Halloween morning when I went to start it (disintegrated timing belt tensioner).

Thanks Christopher. I expected to be at this point at least a month ago but decided that having the heater return nipple an inch away from the headers was asking for trouble. That required getting a 1300 style heater return pipe w/o nipples and switching to a 1300 water pump housing. I then decided that it was a good idea to put a new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing in as cheap insurance even though the last time I went through this exercise the old clutch had almost as much meat on it as the new one. Well, sure enough, the new clutch I got this time only had 2mm more lining on it than the one I replaced with about 35K on it. Another setback was trying to figure out why a 74 pressure plate would not fit my car. Turns out 75-78 used a thinner pressure plate and different bellhousing which started out at a certain engine number, and my car is above that engine number even though it is a 74. It also has the later bellhousing. I have a feeling that this may have had something to do with the late introduction of the CA cars in 1974. The last time I replaced the pressure plate was pre Internet days and I just brought the old parts into the store and came away with the replacement parts that fit never knowing the car required the later style. With an Internet purchase, you don't find out it is the wrong part until you open the box!

I'm hoping to get the car on the road while the weather is still warm. Just a few minor details like installing the rear suspension/brakes and hooking up all the stuff. The good news is that there are no more dirty parts left to deal with so it should be a bit more pleasurable than it was taking it apart.

How are things going with the Scorpion? I have not checked for new videos in a while but was up to date as of a few months ago. That thing should be a beast with the Subaru motor.

the old clutch had almost as much meat on it as the new one.
At the risk of sounding like something my dad might have said; you know, the "I remember when..." stories. But I've often felt as though things like new clutch discs, and other replacement "wear" items, seem to be made with thinner linings than they used to be. And they don't last as long as a result. For example if you look at a new disc and notice how much material extends beyond (above) the retaining rivets, it barely clears the heads. As compared to how new discs used to have more above the rivet than below it. Ya, I must be getting old to talk like that. So just when did gasoline get to be over a dollar a gallon?

At the risk of sounding like something my dad might have said; you know, the "I remember when..." stories. But I've often felt as though things like new clutch discs, and other replacement "wear" items, seem to be made with thinner linings than they used to be. And they don't last as long as a result. For example if you look at a new disc and notice how much material extends beyond (above) the retaining rivets, it barely clears the heads. As compared to how new discs used to have more above the rivet than below it. Ya, I must be getting old to talk like that. So just when did gasoline get to be over a dollar a gallon?

In years past the rule of thumb on clutches was if you have it out for what ever reason it is best to replace it with a new part in most cases.
In light of what Dr. Jeff is saying I think sometimes it might be better to use a old part in good shape compared to some of the substandard replacement parts.
The younger generation is used to cheaper made stuff because most have never known anything else.

For instance I usually use my own bags when shopping but one day I didn't think to bring one in the store with me so let the bagger use plastic.
the bag split and I made the joke that they just don't make plastic like they used to.
The young girl agreed with me wholeheartedly.

Started doing a bit of work on the Scorpion. I'm fabricating a removable steel roof panel that tightly follows the lines of the car. I have never been wild about how the 037 roof panels sit so proud and high. I know they're a practical concession to wearing a racing helmet but I doubt I will be wearing a helmet in this car. If I ever find myself in that situation, I will bite the bullet (stylistically) when it happens.

DSC03474.JPG

I will put together a video showing my progress shortly. I've been beset by all manner of distracting side projects.

Back