What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Yes, I now, not very elegant. But it clears the grill... Also too loud, so I'll keep looking. Ideas?
20220526_102156_resized.jpg20220526_102212_resized.jpg20220526_102425_resized.jpg

I replaced the fuel level sender in the hope it would fix the gas gauge always reading empty. Nope! So the instrument panel comes out next. I also found out why my horns don't work. They're both shot. I pulled the lead and checked voltage - good. I pulled the horn and jumpered it directly to the battery. Nothing. Reads open on my multimeter, too. I ordered replacements.
Had the same problem. Drove me crazy.
I thought the new floater might be faulty and probably let gas in to it. And in that time, I'm thinking to myself that it feels quite heavy.
So I took a deep tray with gas and laid the floater in it, it just sunk right in without any bubbles.
Turns out it was produced with a thicker wall and was heavy, it just couldn't float...
Replaced it and it works fine.

Had the same problem. Drove me crazy.
I thought the new floater might be faulty and probably let gas in to it. And in that time, I'm thinking to myself that it feels quite heavy.
So I took a deep tray with gas and laid the floater in it, it just sunk right in without any bubbles.
Turns out it was produced with a thicker wall and was heavy, it just couldn't float...
Replaced it and it works fine.
Interesting. I'm not certain if I fully understand it though. Boats made of concrete float. Has to do with surface area and displacement of the water. So it's a bit difficult to understand how a thick plastic walled float wouldn't float. But obviously you found that to be the case. Odd situation but good to know, I hadn't heard of that possibility before.

I really can't tell, maby weight to surface dimensions ratio?
In that case, no bubbles appeared and it fell to the bottom of the tray like a rock.
Closed chambers like the float produce in a blow mold or rotation mold techniques, something there went wrong.

Visited the biggest classic car meet in western Sweden. Very nice arrangement with 1300 cars and thousands of visitors. I managed to get a place in the Fiat Classic Club Swedens lot which was much nicer than standing together with other cars on the mixed area.
Sadly only two X1/9 attending the exhibition; my 1984 Restomod and a 100% original 1981 in excellent condition so obviously the X1/9 is rare here.
I didn't have much time to walk around to look at other cars as I was busy answering questions about my own car. I've never seen such big interest for "Berta" before and I enjoyed every minute of the day.
View attachment 62024
View attachment 62238
Love the deep dish steelies on your X!

I really can't tell, maby weight to surface dimensions ratio?
In that case, no bubbles appeared and it fell to the bottom of the tray like a rock.
Closed chambers like the float produce in a blow mold or rotation mold techniques, something there went wrong.
It boils down to the weight of the item verse the wieght of the water it will displace. If the float is heavier than the water volume it will displace then it will sink.

Reactions: 81x
I went to the European Auto Show at the Mini dealer today, there was a black X1/9. Bertone, 1987. Really nice condition. Owned by a gentleman (I didn't catch his name) out of Sparta, Illinois, he and his wife had X1/9 shirts and everything! I recommended he check out the Xweb forum, I told him there were a couple other cars in the area.

Lots of other cool cars there, I particularly had an eye on the Aston DB6 and Ferrari F40.

I went to the European Auto Show at the Mini dealer today, there was a black X1/9. Bertone, 1987. Really nice condition. Owned by a gentleman (I didn't catch his name) out of Sparta, Illinois, he and his wife had X1/9 shirts and everything! I recommended he check out the Xweb forum, I told him there were a couple other cars in the area.

Lots of other cool cars there, I particularly had an eye on the Aston DB6 and Ferrari F40.
Hi Frog,

Are you back home for the summer?

There is a "new" 81X in St. Peters this year, the owner is close to having it road worthy. I haven't seen that 87 around anywhere. Sparta isn't too far from my wife's family. They are in the Freeburg, Smithton and Waterloo area.

That STL Euro show seems to have gotten a lot smaller. I haven't attended it in several years since it left that big shopping center in Chesterfield.

Saw the odometer on the 86X cross over 38,000 miles. I didn't take a picture until I returned home. Safety first! 👍
20220605_122445.jpg

Removed alternator for another rebuild , voltage regulator this time ,was driving and stopped charging was about 90 minutes from home made it back , shut off driving lights but left the music on !!

Removed alternator for another rebuild , voltage regulator this time ,was driving and stopped charging was about 90 minutes from home made it back , shut off driving lights but left the music on !!
If you have the Bosch alt then you can replace the regulator without removing the alt from the car. Only two screws and a easy job. ;)

Well I started the weekend well with installing the new sending unit in the gas tank then install the gas tank (finally) and the fuel lines along with a screen pre-filter. Started on the vapor lines then, the Trapezoidal rubber 6"x6" piece between the gas tank and Engine bay had turned to crumbs so I obtained a new one from MWB and attempted to put that in, that is going to take some work to make it fit, anyone else fit one of these?

While working on it I received a urgent message that the kids car was making on odd noise. Long story short I spent rest of the weekend replacing the rear wheel bearing on their car which led to a need for new brake disc, pads and caliper. To put a cherry on the sunday when I was switching the WRX to summer tires I broke a stud so had to replace that as well. The poor X was pushed to the back of the line.

Back