What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

ARRRRG!
I am replacing the timing belt on the 82, and somehow I managed to LOOSE the step washer for tensioner! I am doing this in a garage with a clear floor. I have spent 3 hours or more trying to find it. Very elusive item. Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't mind me, I am just venting.
If it were not for Bad days we would not appreciate the good ones

Stoney

ARRRRG!
I am replacing the timing belt on the 82, and somehow I managed to LOOSE the step washer for tensioner! I am doing this in a garage with a clear floor. I have spent 3 hours or more trying to find it. Very elusive item. Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't mind me, I am just venting.
If it were not for Bad days we would not appreciate the good ones

Stoney
Is it still on the bearing? Something I would do... Or sitting on or along the plastic cover above the ignition box?

Been there, done that. I have covered every square inch of that car and the garage, except the square inch where it is:rolleyes:. My wife even came out to help look for it!
I have a replacement coming from MWB but that will not be here until Monday or Tuesday. Meanwhile that step washer is sitting and laughing at me:)

Found IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Took about 2 minutes and hit just the right spot with the magnetic light and heard the clink!

OH well now we will have an extra :D

Stoney

Found IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Took about 2 minutes and hit just the right spot with the magnetic light and heard the clink!

OH well now we will have an extra :D

Stoney
Not fair Stoney! "Found it!" Although you now have experienced relief those of us who have so much invested in the step washer saga are just hanging! Do the right thing and tell WHERE the clink occurred! :)
Waiting with bated breath in WNC...
Regards

One of my orders from MWB included one of these because I was concerned I might misplace the dang thing as well...

letting something like that go some times will come back to haunt you. (I could have been in a cover or somewhere where it would do some damage)
My thoughts as well! Tools for any X maintenance session includes the magnetic probe, bowl and an inspection mirror (for reconnaissance or inspection) I keep track of stack up and everything back in it's place at jobs end... Unless it is clearly over engineered then it may go away.
Especially vigilant at times when the engine is open! I do a lot of work out of shop, currently shopless, and dropping a washer can turn a quick job into an afternoon and beyond.
I was trying to figure out where Stoney's step washer was hiding. Front and back of engine has many nooks and crannies but the end is pretty clear. I can see it lodge between the outer CV and hub carrier or on the A-frame. Since he was doing the belt the covers would not be present for catching and hiding duties.
Either way, glad you found it! Hope your job when smoothly for the button up.
Regards

20170812_165446.jpg
20170812_165446.jpg
Today I finished installing new timing belt and tensioner. While doing this yesterday I dropped and lost step washer. After several hours of looking for it and ordering a new one, took a break. Went out again for one more try and found it in 2 mins or less. It was somewhere under one of the ledges that I could not see. I was very worried that it might be stuck somewhere that would cause damage when I finally started it.
Painted washer white so if it did drop it would be easier to find Here is a picture of old belt and where it was starting to separate on edges. Also a pict of tensioning roller.
It is in real good shape, did not need to be replaced. Had a new one so decided to install it instead of old one.

Attachments

• 20170812_150135.jpg
    20170812_150135.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 109
  • 20170812_165412.jpg
    20170812_165412.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
View attachment 4138 View attachment 4138 Today I finished installing new timing belt and tensioner. While doing this yesterday I dropped and lost step washer. After several hours of looking for it and ordering a new one, took a break. Went out again for one more try and found it in 2 mins or less. It was somewhere under one of the ledges that I could not see. I was very worried that it might be stuck somewhere that would cause damage when I finally started it.
Painted washer white so if it did drop it would be easier to find Here is a picture of old belt and where it was starting to separate on edges. Also a pict of tensioning roller.
It is in real good shape, did not need to be replaced. Had a new one so decided to install it instead of old one.

That belt looks like it could have gone bye-bye at any moment! Nice catch :)

The washer was hung up some where below the crank pulley but not on the floor. Can't say exactly where, but am so happy for having found it

Stoney

My wife and daughter were out of town for a few days, so I took the opportunity to really tear into my '79. It was overdue for some maintenance and was getting jealous of all of the time I have been spending on the K20. I had noticed a brake fluid drip from the master so I figured after 38 years, it was time to redo the pedal box and replace the master cylinder. It was still the original. The plan is to send it off to Karp's to have them resleeve it. The clutch master had been replaced at some point in the past and that is still fine, so I will keep that one. Again, a genuine Fiat one. While I am at it, I am going to replace all of the flex lines with stainless braided ones. Also, will do new rotors on the front, along with new calipers. One of them was almost frozen. While I have every thing apart, I am going to clean it all up, and replace all of the wheel bearings. Considering how few miles I put on it now, they should last the rest of my life. Still waiting on parts for the tranny.

Today I rolled a Yahtzee on the odometer! Had to stop and take a picture :)

-Brian

Attachments

• IMG_4479.JPG
    IMG_4479.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 121
Made a short video of X with new stainless Magnaflow XL muffler welded in by Midwest-124. They also installed new upper strut mounts to correct camber. Then I ordered 4 Federal SS657 275/65 tires from Tires-Easy that arrived in 2 days. They were installed yesterday and alignment corrected. After 100 miles I am very pleased with the ride and how quiet these tires are.
DSCF2508.JPG Not quite the handling of the Sumitomo HTR 200s, but 95+% of miles are straight line cruising.

Sounds great! And that color!!! My first X was gold... Takes me back for sure! Someday I suspect I will be seeing gold outside the cockpit again...
Regards

Back