X's last day

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

wow, glad you werent seriously hurt. take care!

Odie

Hopefully the X taught the driver of the other car a lesson or two as it perished. People usually become better drivers after they have had an accident, and in this case nobody had to pay with an injury, or worse. Too bad about the X though...

Beezee

I just got done with having my Acura Legend totaled. The insurance company, GEICO, from the at fault party used my ethics of fairness against me at every step. Really I should have lawyered up also. It's a shitty system and they play to win. I hope your experience is a better one with a better outcome.

Moving a car that many feet is impressive. Good thing you didn't have auto cross gummy tires or the car wouldn't have moved so easily :)

Truly thankful you didn't have anyone in the car with you. Take a good hot bath with Epsom salts to stave off some of the muscle injury.

I hope you are able to harvest it, the engine and so on will go well in your other X.

on the up side. yet again a GREAT showing for how survivable our cars are. Looks like the impact was totally at the door and totally over the floor structure. So the door did a VERY good job of keeping the incursion to a minimum. I have seen a LOT more incursion with not so much sideway's movement.

? did you drive it home afterward?

I wonder just how much of the body was moved.

VERY HAPPY THE X1/9 OWNER WALKED AWAY!!

yep, drove it home (home was only 1/8" of a mile, something got tweaked as the steering wheel was cocked a bit.
Yes and that door was extremely rusted in the bottom too so it held up pretty well despite that

How are you feeling today Jeff? Any after affects from the wreck? Hopefully you are feeling fine.

YOWZA! I JUST SAW THIS. Good you are ok. I appreciate the "jeff" humor about the whole thing. I am sure you will make the best of it in Vandyke X19 2.0.

Ouf! most important Jeff... you're ok.
I hope that the insurance will be generous.
Now you have new project find a new X and continue writing on the forum.

Dont give up.
Yves

As as everyone else has posted, (a) glad you're OK and (b) get lawyered up

The GREAT news is that it's springtime so plenty of X1/9s will be coming out of the woodwork and will be for sale.

now I'm just sad, 8 years and thousands of man hours, it wasn't pretty, it wasn't nice by any stretch but it was a big piece of me. Will have to do some keep soul searching now. Got the sub woofer out. Taking a wrecking bar to your car feels really wrong. The door sill is shoved hard against the seat, dash and targa is crumbled a bit behind the seat. If there had been a passenger they probably would have come out of it alright. Really impressive. No need for lawyer that I can see. I expect Hagerty to treat me right. Adjuster will be out early next week and will no doubt sign off on it. Agreed value so that's that. Whether or not I buy it back is iffy. My last time through this with my Opel GT and the buy back was $600. Not sure what the sum of this thing's parts are but hard pressed to get $600 out of it and that's a TON of labor and peddling bits on my part.
There's no market for the drive train.
Seriously there can't be more than a couple hundred in bits.
Most likely I'll pull the stereo, a few odds and ends and let it go. Really wish I hadn't bought a parts car last fall, what the heck am I going to do with that now?

Just saw this. Sounds like you are fine, thank goodness. Hope you get the money back out of it but the hours ..... oh well. Hope you find a nice rust free replacement.

Well give it time. But I know I am sad that I did not keep my 1st one for parts.

You could look at it that you now have two parts car's for the next one you get.

now I'm just sad, 8 years and thousands of man hours, it wasn't pretty, it wasn't nice by any stretch but it was a big piece of me. Will have to do some keep soul searching now. Got the sub woofer out. Taking a wrecking bar to your car feels really wrong. The door sill is shoved hard against the seat, dash and targa is crumbled a bit behind the seat. If there had been a passenger they probably would have come out of it alright. Really impressive. No need for lawyer that I can see. I expect Hagerty to treat me right. Adjuster will be out early next week and will no doubt sign off on it. Agreed value so that's that. Whether or not I buy it back is iffy. My last time through this with my Opel GT and the buy back was $600. Not sure what the sum of this thing's parts are but hard pressed to get $600 out of it and that's a TON of labor and peddling bits on my part.
There's no market for the drive train.
Seriously there can't be more than a couple hundred in bits.
Most likely I'll pull the stereo, a few odds and ends and let it go. Really wish I hadn't bought a parts car last fall, what the heck am I going to do with that now?

Hey Jeff,

first, as others have said, the important thing is that you are OK. Given how much time you have already invested and the fact that you obviously like driving these cars, I'd really recommend buying another X1/9 in good condition (i.e. above the $4000 mark). Add up all the time and money you put into cheaper cars and it isn't that hard to get to that figure. You can really get a good car for decent money and it will put a smile on your face without needing to invest countless hours again.

Cheers,
Dom.

here's the beefy steel beam that saves your @#$
crusheddoorJPG.jpg

I see where spending more up front makes sense but I actually like working on my car... I certainly don't plan to lose it, nor did Jeff, but the most important thing when considering diving back in is finding the most solid body.
I don't know anything about Jeff's car but mine is something of a test mule so when I get it right I will move everything to a much better body and arrive.
These cars are such a great quirky part of automotive landscape they really can't be replaced with something like it...
As they say...
"Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!"
Regards

Back