X's last day

but doesn't the core running gear you have here make any hasn't-run-in-decades-but-stored-and-not-rusty car ultimately more viable to own? I'm curious if Hagarty offers a buy-back option there, even though I hope to never have to exercise it for my own policy.

I don't know how much having all those spare parts helps if your set on buying in at the high end. I'm pretty sure there's no neglected rust free X's within a 1000 miles of me and if there were, as we all know, mechanicals are easy and cheap compared to a full body restoration. Hagerty did a buy back option on my last claim, 9 years ago or so, but it was kinda high. I haven't heard anything in a few days. I ordered up a bunch of stuff for the Miata though.....:eek:

So what Miata parts did you buy? I have a hankering for a better center console. Eventually some new shocks or the beastly.

So what Miata parts did you buy? I have a hankering for a better center console. Eventually some new shocks or the beastly.
I'm fixing up the stereo. I put up a craiglist ad for a hardtop, so far I got two morons telling me I'm on idiot for looking (not quite in so many words). So far the Miata crowd isn't quite so refined as the X crowd! It needs a new rear window and or whole top. Mechanically it's 95%, it has a little noise in the drive train somewhere that's been bugging me. It's a great little car really. I do wish it were a different color though, it's just too "cute".

I haven't dealt with the local Miata crowd, I suspect it is infested with the whole drift mentality. Some of the boards on the net are decent but some are clearly filled with the young and impatient.

We need a new top as well, its wearing through on a few of the hard points on the top. Need to remove the god awful chrome roll bar.

Funny thing, my Japanese cars drip more oil than my Italian cars. Need to replace the valve cover gaskets as it is leaking from there.

Well good luck with things. I drive our Miata a great deal and although I like the car and the experience, I have never felt comfortable in the car from a seating position to general handling characteristics as it always feels unsettled. Just driving my X over here from storage despite really old tires reminded me of what I have been missing not having the X to drive compared to the Miata. Though I must admit having a bit more power would be very nice indeed.

Karl

We too have a pretty chrome "roll bar" purely cosmetic as it isn't strong enough to save your head in a roll over, silly. Miata forums are over run, two sided sword; tons of info seekers and suppliers but that much more to sift through and higher percentage of it is drivel. I find it comfortable but agree on the overall experience, very fun but not as good as the X. Is Garage Day at Pete's still on for tomorrow? I'm thinking we can fix my X a minute.........seriously if we (my kid and I) show up in a Porsche will we be bullied?

Jeff... I am GLAD you are OK and yes, you have a total there, but it appears it was a total once before as well!

Hagarty has no other choice but to pay you the FULL amount you had agreed upon. Tommy Mastracchio here in SoCal had the same thing happen (rear-end though) and he was given his money almost immediately. Hagarty also wrote me a check some time back when I was hit by a Semi Trailer and I got it within 2 weeks. Tommy bought his BEAUTIFUL X1/9 back for less than 300 bucks.

BOTH can be fixed with a lot of time, effort and $$$ but he, like you, should probably buy another, garnish all the parts you want off the old car, and then list all the others here or on eBay so "Others might live" and your car will live on through them."

Alas... and again, its great that you are OK. The other insurance company may squawk about your left turn... but pushing the car 19 feet sideways at a 4-way stop kinda negates any responsibility on your part, especially with her hitting your car so far back. (Boy, those Saturns sure have a lot of TORQUE and TRACTION from 500 - 2000 rpm!)

Take care my friend, and even if everything goes in your favor is still gonna take TIME and be MESSY.

Guess you would know better than me about what you'd expect to find locally in terms of solid cArs pulled out of long term storage. Fiat driveline parts are not exotic, but there are a few that I have regret getting rid of later. Minor stuff to consider at most though.

We too have a pretty chrome "roll bar" purely cosmetic as it isn't strong enough to save your head in a roll over, silly. Miata forums are over run, two sided sword; tons of info seekers and suppliers but that much more to sift through and higher percentage of it is drivel. I find it comfortable but agree on the overall experience, very fun but not as good as the X. Is Garage Day at Pete's still on for tomorrow? I'm thinking we can fix my X a minute.........seriously if we (my kid and I) show up in a Porsche will we be bullied?

First off Glad you're ok, its sad to see one die but there is a point where it's just not worth it to rebuild. I have a shell for you, unfortunately I'm in Washington... plus I'd have a problem with the better half, she wants it to drive... we already have 2 drivers and 2 project cars. Hers is the green one. You're right on the Miata forums, The difference to me is I come here to read and enjoy the conversation where the miata forums are strictly for info gathering and part scrounging. I just can't bare to see another "stanced Miata" with 45 degrees of neg camber. LOL

Actually Jeff she does have a sister.... but She's married and all the car gal genes went to RaeDean not her sister. It's nice being a car guy that has someone that wants a different car for each day of the week.

Your wife is a rare find Brian. I can't complain too much. My wife is very supportive of my Fiat "hobby" as long as she doesn't have to get involved. She will sit in the garage ready to dial 911 when I am doing something stupid. So I have that going for me. :)

Mine wife has been tolerant but in her defense, I had been spending ALL my spare time, most nights after midnight, tinkering with the Fiat, the Porsche and the motorcycle. It was getting pretty ridiculous. The ride into work today, gorgeous spring day, back roads, in a cute little Miata was nice but let there be no mistake, it was NOT the same and there is now something quite substantial missing. Apparently the X experience is much more than the sum of it's parts. As silly as it sounds, and probably truly is, these cars are something quite special and unique. I think it's just a really nice driver's car. I shall return. Eventually.

I'm very lucky in that regard. But in all seriousness Jeff The car I have and am willing to give to you was given to me, it had just gone through a restoration, He did 5 at once, and at the end I think there may have been a bit of burnout, he sold all of them but 2 which had the high dollar engines and transmissions he had rebuilt, unfortunately the demand for fiats was low and he couldn't sell it for the cost of the engine and tranny so he decided to pull the drivetrain and keep it as a backup for the car he kept. He gave me the car and all I had to do was pull the engine and tranny for him to keep. I'm only into it a great weekend with my granddaughter pulling the drivetrain. The restoration wasn't show quality but it was a decent job, it has a couple things that need attention but with a engine and tranny it would be a pretty nice driver with a lot of potential and no rust, he took care of any rust he found and if I remember right this was one of the better cars he started with. It has suffered some minor damage, it's stored outside and a branch fell on it and put a small dent in the trunk lid and right quarter, nothing much to fix and somewhere I think I even have the left over matching paint.

It's a good enough car I'll put a drivetrain in it and probably move it along to a new home when I get a chance, but if you want it it's yours, you have given plenty to this community for the community to help out and get a good car for you. I'll get some pictures of it and post them up. I'd even be willing to drag it across the state if we could come up with a tag team to tow it across the country. Or if we can find a drivetrain you could come out and we could install it and you could drive it home. food for thought, no pressure, it's not going anywhere soon.

Your wife is a rare find Brian. I can't complain too much. My wife is very supportive of my Fiat "hobby" as long as she doesn't have to get involved. She will sit in the garage ready to dial 911 when I am doing something stupid. So I have that going for me. :)

She doesn't even do that for me, if she hears a crash she hollers to see if Henry is ok, Our dog! lol

Here are a few pics, it's grungy hasn't been washed in a year, the last windstorm blew the tarp off so it's wet.

20170424_080344.jpg

20170424_080411.jpg

20170424_080440.jpg

When the branch got it the spoiler took a hit which is the worst damage, stretched aluminum is a bitch to straiten out, the left turn signal got broke but I should have a replacement, a small ding on the trunk lid in front of the spoiler and this dent in the quarter.
20170424_080453.jpg

I think the color is a factory blue metallic and it's in good shape despite the caked on pollen. I think it's an 80 or 81.

Jeff!
Friends don't let friends drive Miata! I am in for 5% of the shipping up to $30(my part)... and I challenge 19 other folks to do likewise.
In other words the total me and 19 others will cover is up to $600($30x20 people)
You are getting some money from Haggerty? Subtract your buy out you should still get some $
You will have to do the work of swapping but if we can cover the move and you do the swap you will end up ahead of the game!
Regards

Back