X's last day

I don't know the condition of the parts car but a known good suspension, braking system and fuel injected engine certainly would be a nice combo in another car

Wow. Just saw this linked from another thread - glad to see you are OK! Hope you get another X1/9, it's always a pleasure to read your posts :)

Damn! Glad your OK, and even though its an X, it's still just a car. Cars are replaceable. One question, why are you going thru your insurance if its the other persons fault? When the kid hit my Abarth I told my ins co about the accident but did not file a claim. Just had them annotate it so if I needed to, it was documented. I worked with HIS insurance company (to include the appraisal) so that all expenses were against him. When they started to balk about the accident, that's when I lawyered up. We ended up going into mediation and I ended up getting $5k more than what I paid for the car. To include the CAR itself. The $5k helped pay for the lawyer.

Remember, your blood, sweat and tears have value. And since this person was at fault, they (and their ins co) need to pay. The're client took something away from you that you have a connection with. This is not a cookie cutter car they made by the 100,000's.

Hi Mike,

Jeff will have to tell us exactly how it works, but Michigan is a "no fault" state for medical bills and vehicle damage related to accidents.

A Michigan no-fault policy provides unlimited medical and rehabilitation benefits. It provides wage loss benefits for up to three years, and $20 per day for replacement services if you are injured in an auto accident, regardless of fault. In exchange for these benefits, Michigan motorists gave up the right to sue in auto accidents except when someone is killed or very seriously injured. Because of this, disputes over who was at-fault in an accident will not hold up payment of medical bills. Michigan is unique in that damage to vehicles also falls under the no-fault system. This, too, saves time and money in claims payment. Michigan drivers must buy collision and/ or comprehensive insurance to cover damage to their own car.

I can see that it would take a lot of hassle out of the process, but it seems it offers more value to bad drivers more than good drivers.

I bet Michigan lawyers have no love "no fault" insurance. Here in MO we are an "at fault" state and get lots of cheesy TV commercials and billboards for "traffic law" specialty law firms. :)

Last edited:
Yep, no-fault. Makes insurance rates astronomical. Good law abiding tax payers who actually have insurance pay through the nose carrying all the the dead beats, you don't want no-fault.

In Penna we have no fault ins, but you can pay more to get "full tort" coverage, which entitles you to sue for pain and suffering and other loss not covered by your own ins.

Hauled it out for a last photo shoot, "the Axis Powers"
Tried to get the good side.:eek:
IMG_6591.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG
IMG_6594.JPG

Last edited:
I am just looking at that barn. Hmmmmm. That's what I need.

The X looks pretty good in those shots. The Porsche needed to scoot just a bit more forward to cover the leading edge of the door.

Good to hear you're OK with no serious injuries. Proof again of what has been designed into the exxe.

This exxe needs to be fixed. If it can be driven home from what happened. What is not appreciated, the number of exxe's on the road and still physically in the world is dwindling. While there were plenty at one time, due to lack of market desirability, market $ value, abuse by the moto-media and more there will continue to be fewer and fewer around.

The Saab Aero got rear ended some months ago. The insurance folks wanted to total the Aero citing it's market value of less than $1000 under their mis-guided belief it being nothing special. This is why insurance companies are so fond of media like Kelly's Blue Book which allows them to decide the value of something to their advantage. Instead of simply allowing them to have their way, the pile of service records, proven collector value of the Aero, published articles about the Aero essentially pushed the insurance company to pay over $6000 to repair what had happened.

Don't give up on your exxe so easily. If this was a overly valued and coveted moto like a Porsche 356, every imaginable resource would be applied to make it all better. When in fact the exxe is a far better design and moto than the Porsche 356. It is all about perceived value, not actual content.

Folks need to stop viewing the exxe as cheap, valueless, disposable moto cars and realize what the exxe really is, a significant classic design with dignity and worthy of much better than the moto media and world has allowed.

Bernice

I've got the kid's Porsche, the Miata (which I've been driving and like but it's not the same, supposedly the wife's) and most recently a 1949 Chevy pickup, 3100, in family since new and all original, that might be fun to get going again.

Last edited:
There is what I now think is a 49 Chevy truck on the way to Asheville. I have been watching this thing for years going to and from... It has always been on blocks since I have first seen it... It looked pretty complete and I was surprised to find it smashed on my way to town one day! Still unmoved and smashed like a rollover. I always wanted to ask about the truck, now more than before because I did not see what caused the damage. For the life of me, I can't conceive of what might have caused it's damage.

The truck would be great and the family connection makes it that much more special but it is not nor will it be an X...

My dad still has the 1974 Stingray I bought in 1982... I am directing funds and effort into my recently acquired 1979 X in spite of the time connection. Hands down the X is the best car I have ever owned!
I am with Bernice... If you don't fix that X at least buy it back and store... You will be back to it and if nothing else the value of the parts you use from that car will exceed the price you pay in buy back..
Just my .02

I will likely find out how I miss driving the X.
Buy back is highly unlikely as;
1. my wife would kill me
2. I would have 2+ parts cars taking up valuable space to support.....nothing
3. the odds of a nice X falling into my lab in this neck of the woods is very very very small, I will most certainly have to ship one in or go get one, which is fine but will require a long dedicated search and I need a break
4. see number one
5. see number one
and so on

If I had a nickel for every time I was threatened with spousal death... I would loonggg be retired! What scares me is: " the next time you drag a dead car home... I am getting a horse!"
I have to drag them to a staging area, a "safe shop" if you will. Fix them enough to drive them home!
I know! Spirit vs letter of the law blah blah and Blah! :)
Gotta have my Fiat!

Last edited:
This is why the exxe is becoming extinct. Write it off, send another to be ripped apart and there will fewer and fewer until there are none.

There will always be plenty of Porsche's due to perceived market and social status desirability.
There will always be plenty of Miata's due to the sheer number and volume of them produced with a very strong cult following.

Much will come down to what one's value in their moto -vs- what is a desirable dictated by moto culture.

Think it over and take it from there.

Bernice

I will likely find out how I miss driving the X.
3. the odds of a nice X falling into my lab in this neck of the woods is very very very small, I will most certainly have to ship one in or go get one, which is fine but will require a long dedicated search and I need a break

This is why the exxe is becoming extinct. Write it off, send another to be ripped apart and there will fewer and fewer until there are none.

There will always be plenty of Porsche's due to perceived market and social status desirability.
There will always be plenty of Miata's due to the sheer number and volume of them produced with a very strong cult following.

Much will come down to what one's value in their moto -vs- what is a desirable dictated by moto culture.

Think it over and take it from there.

Bernice
see #1 above
seriously though, I agree they should all be saved, I would hope someone would, I'm not in a position mentally to take this on at this time no am I willing to sit on two carcasses while I wait for my poor little psyche to recover and decide to start building a whole car from the ground up, I would buy it back and part it out if it were cheap enough but it's not going to be unless the insurance company gives it to me, then I might, unless the better half reaches for the rolling pin

Last edited:
Just saw this. Wow Jeff I am very disappointed for you but glad you're ok.

You certainly invested a lot of yourself into that car and I do hope you will find another. Selfishly, I would really miss your participation here if you didn't.

Yep, bummer. I was undoing mods last night. Taking off my wiper relay mod and auxiliary power block, power antenna. It's like a death (okay that's silly it's just a car but yet......)
Insurance adjuster stopped by. Had a nice chat. As we walked toward the shop he commented how long it had been since he'd seen one of these. He pronounced it totaled while we were still a couple hundred feet away (it was parked outside). Looked it over, took some pictures. I'll ask Hagerty how much (if any) parts I'm allowed to scavenge before they haul it away. Maybe they'll give it to me and I can pick it over. There really isn't anything too valuable, my custom gauge cluster and uncracked dash, some decent interior pieces. The running gear is great but probably the least valuable/desirable parts and hardest to get off/store and ship.
What happens to these cars? I think they get auctioned, I followed the auction for my last wreck. I don't know what people do with cars like this, part them out? There can't be any profit in that. I'm not sure I'll even do it for free. Just to dole out useful parts to the community, that's the only incentive (and my wife's glare pretty much stifles that!).

Back