Here is another k20 swap.

I am using a gun with a top mounted cup. It had a bent tip to start with. I made not be the best, but it is so much better than spray glue from a can. I don't actually plan on tossing the gun out. I have been told that you can store it for up to a year. And I have lots of projects on my to do list... Friends and family can't wait for me to be done with this project 🙂.
PXL_20210212_041311924.jpg

I didn't quite make as much progress as I was hoping to this weekend. But I'm happy with how it's turning out. I spent over 2 hours sorting down an electrical issue. Trying to diagnose why the headlights won't come on. Long story short. I switched the four-way flasher and the headlight connection.
PXL_20210213_162755280.jpg
PXL_20210213_173012158.jpg
PXL_20210213_173026847.jpg
PXL_20210215_020134570.jpg
PXL_20210215_020106758.jpg
PXL_20210215_020119530.jpg

Tonight I made the shift boot. So pleased with how it turned out. I Don't think I've run a sewing machine since high school and that was a long time ago! I bought an old leather coat at the salvation army. The other black that I've been using is vinyl and I didn't want to use that for the shift boot.
PXL_20210216_042904086.jpg
PXL_20210216_042921264.jpg
PXL_20210216_051739002.jpg
PXL_20210216_052436836.jpg
PXL_20210216_052306105.jpg
PXL_20210216_052142799.jpg

Looking good ! Why not tan stitching to go with the interior? Or are the seams best hidden (would be the case with my sewing) :D

Looking good ! Why not tan stitching to go with the interior? Or are the seams best hidden (would be the case with my sewing) :D
I did black to match the steering wheel.😉
Actually I did not do exposed stitches because this was my first attempt. "Practice piece" and exposed stitches are 3x the sewing.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses billiard balls as shift knobs. There's a story behind mine, tho. Years ago, I inherited a custom pool table from my grandparents, but the 8 ball was missing. My guess is someone moving the house furniture nicked it. So I had to buy a new set. Now I have a many duplicates. I decided as a tribute to all the fun times we had at our grandparents house, including playing pool as kids, I'd add one to every restoration I'll complete, with a close to color match as possible. Maroon #7 is in my dark red Scorpion. Orange #5 is going into the K-swap '86 Bertone, and yellow #1 is going into the '71 124 spider.

Has a nice fit into the palm of your hand, yes?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1199.jpg

-Rich

Beautiful work! Can I ask about what muffler you found with the singe left input and dual ended outputs? Also is that a mini-cat or resonator? Do you have any droning issues at highway speeds that I hear it common with the dual exhaust pipes? Thx...

Beautiful work! Can I ask about what muffler you found with the singe left input and dual ended outputs? Also is that a mini-cat or resonator? Do you have any droning issues at highway speeds that I hear it common with the dual exhaust pipes? Thx...
The muffler is one I found on ebay. I don't have droning issues. It actually sounds really good, and it is not that loud.
It is a mini cat in front of the muffler that I modified to have a 3" inlet x 2 1/2" outlet.
The muffler like this is what was used in late 70's and early 80's Camaros.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses billiard balls as shift knobs. There's a story behind mine, tho. Years ago, I inherited a custom pool table from my grandparents, but the 8 ball was missing. My guess is someone moving the house furniture nicked it. So I had to buy a new set. Now I have a many duplicates. I decided as a tribute to all the fun times we had at our grandparents house, including playing pool as kids, I'd add one to every restoration I'll complete, with a close to color match as possible. Maroon #7 is in my dark red Scorpion. Orange #5 is going into the K-swap '86 Bertone, and yellow #1 is going into the '71 124 spider.

Has a nice fit into the palm of your hand, yes?
View attachment 42975

-Rich
There is not much of a story behind my shift ball. A friend of mine gave me a ball I had never seen before. It was a blue joker. The color matches a car I have. I had never drilled in to a pool ball before and didn't want to mess up the joker ball. So I bought one to practice on. 5-10 years later (last summer) I got the Fiat on the road and the ball on it rattled. So I stuck it on.

They are very comfortable. Easy to drill and tap.
And give it a unique custom look.
I don't know what I am doing long term but I like it for now.

I know this is a little off topic. But it fits with the shift balls. Has anyone ever seen a pool ball like this. If so where and what is it used for.
PXL_20210218_041113301.jpg
PXL_20210218_040908901.jpg

Looking tight @homegrown32 - my buddy back in the day did his 1972 240-Z in diamond stitch suede. Nice touch. The Z had faux diamond stitched vinyl and while his was nice the package you put together looks amazing. I suppose it helps to be older with some assets to invest in the toys we love.

I have to look back at your post history because it sure looks like you have a carbon fiber engine cover! Are you kidding me? That is the best.

EDIT: unless it is somewhere else other than this build thread, I see you did it in fiberglass April 2020 (here) but then on Jan 5th this year 2020 (here) you discuss starting to work on your dashboard and included the following picture of what appears to be a carbon fiber cover.

PXL_20201231_175026759.jpg

I'm not a "carbon fiber" nor a "glass fiber" person but... dang that looks amazing and any info you have would be cool if you can share. Thx.

Last edited:
Looking tight @homegrown32 - my buddy back in the day did his 1972 240-Z in diamond stitch suede. Nice touch. The Z had faux diamond stitched vinyl and while his was nice the package you put together looks amazing. I suppose it helps to be older with some assets to invest in the toys we love.

I have to look back at your post history because it sure looks like you have a carbon fiber engine cover! Are you kidding me? That is the best.

EDIT: unless it is somewhere else other than this build thread, I see you did it in fiberglass April 2020 (here) but then on Jan 5th this year 2020 (here) you discuss starting to work on your dashboard and included the following picture of what appears to be a carbon fiber cover.

View attachment 43107

I'm not a "carbon fiber" nor a "glass fiber" person but... dang that looks amazing and any info you have would be cool if you can share. Thx.
It is a fiberglass engine cover I got from Midwest Bayless. I reinforced it added hinges, stops and a latch. I finished it in black. Then wrapped it in carbon fiber looking vinyl.
IMG_20201003_083743.jpg
IMG_20201003_083806.jpg
IMG_20201003_083828.jpg
IMG_20201007_210219.jpg
IMG_20201007_213226.jpg
IMG_20201007_222014.jpg

Today I finished up the speaker panel on the package tray behind the seats.
The diamond pattern suede is the same that I used on the headliner. And I formed up speaker grills using black aluminum gutter guard. And then I covered it in speaker cloth.
View attachment 43104

Looks really good!
I had considered redoing the vinyl behind the seats as mine has cracks around the spare well opening - I have been hesitant primarily because I didn't want to lose the detail molded into the vinyl - however it looks fine without it in yours. I wouldn't use carpet, in my case the level of dirt/dust that accumulates on the surfaces back there after even a couple months is pretty nasty.

The engine cover looks really good also, nice work there. I may have to get a fiberglass version at some point.

index.php

A ton of great work. This project is great, taking your car to exactly where you want it. My friend Lavin took his and make it his own as well and the level of customization here is even broader and very well executed.

Thank you for sharing it. Really loving the car and the work.

Definitely a huge change from "before" to "after", well done indeed! 🏆

A couple of comments: I really like the carpet on the back panel. I don't recall seeing anyone do that before(?) and to me it looks much better than other upholstery coverings. I also like the two tone interior theme, as well as the custom dash. Same for the Camaro bumpers, I have an idea for a similar bumper mod but I'm undecided because I really like the bumperless look too. To be completely honest I've never been a huge fan of the carbon fiber look, but you did a very clean job of it. Something I've been considering is another "wrap" type treatment for the top's exterior. I've always thought the VW radiator conversion is a good idea, and adding a fan shroud is definitely preferred - something I seldom see on these cars for some reason. Overall excellent skills for the entire build. I have to ask, what happened to the rear end (damage)?

Regarding the Joker shift ball. I'm assuming is isn't a pool ball, but a custom shifter knob. There are a few companies that make shifter knobs that look like pool balls but have all sorts of custom emblems on them. Mostly a "hot rod" thing, so many of the designs are along the old school American theme (skulls, flames, devils, spade, Lucky, V8, etc). I can't recall the names of the companies that do them, but a Google search should work.

So what's next? Is this one finished or do you have more ideas? If it's finished, what car will follow?

Definitely a huge change from "before" to "after", well done indeed! 🏆

A couple of comments: I really like the carpet on the back panel. I don't recall seeing anyone do that before(?) and to me it looks much better than other upholstery coverings. I also like the two tone interior theme, as well as the custom dash. Same for the Camaro bumpers, I have an idea for a similar bumper mod but I'm undecided because I really like the bumperless look too. To be completely honest I've never been a huge fan of the carbon fiber look, but you did a very clean job of it. Something I've been considering is another "wrap" type treatment for the top's exterior. I've always thought the VW radiator conversion is a good idea, and adding a fan shroud is definitely preferred - something I seldom see on these cars for some reason. Overall excellent skills for the entire build. I have to ask, what happened to the rear end (damage)?

Regarding the Joker shift ball. I'm assuming is isn't a pool ball, but a custom shifter knob. There are a few companies that make shifter knobs that look like pool balls but have all sorts of custom emblems on them. Mostly a "hot rod" thing, so many of the designs are along the old school American theme (skulls, flames, devils, spade, Lucky, V8, etc). I can't recall the names of the companies that do them, but a Google search should work.

So what's next? Is this one finished or do you have more ideas? If it's finished, what car will follow?
Your first question the damage 😟... I was parked in the lot at work and I was backed in. The person that was parked behind me was also backed in. To leave their spot they backed up first to make pulling out easier. This made me pretty mad and I didn't think I would be able to fix it. I don't like to work mad. So I bought it to a shop to fix, now it is done and I can get back to work.
I am not usually a big fan of the faux carbon fiber look either but it works for this. And I can get pulled off if I stop liking it.

The joker ball is a pool ball of some sort. I drilled and tapped it for the shifter. The guy who gave me it said it was with other billiard stuff, and just assumed it was for a special game.

What is next is an interesting question. Next for me? Well when I sell the Fiat I will likely build a early roadster. Something from the late 20's early 30's.
But I am sure you have seen in the background the Jeep. That is not for me. It is a 1956 cj5 it is my daughter's she is 13 and the plan is to have it as her daily driver. So far (when the Fiat was in the body shop) she rebuilt the transmission and transfer case. And helped me mount the motor.
PXL_20201212_215146448.jpg
PXL_20201201_230424506.jpg

Back