Alternative Engine Swaps...

The 2.4l engine shown below is actually in my VW now without the turbo. Got tired of eating axles and transmissions.
You had the VW engine in the X1/9? And with a turbo? I considered a VW swap but it looked to be way too big to fit the X's bay. Curious what you were able to do there?
I haven't been following this thread all the way through, so apology if this has already been answered.

Engine swaps in Italian cars:

FH1.jpg

Rereading your earlier post I see what you meant, I misunderstood about the VW engine in a X1/9.
The turbo exhaust manifold came out nice.

I'm really hoping that is photoshopped.
It's actually real unfortunately. That's why it caught it my attention, I also thought it was a Photoshop joke, but there was a write up with lots of pictures about the build. I hate it to.

I've never been a fan of any American vehicle or the components from them. But I will admit the newer GM "LS" engines are very efficient, light (for the aluminum ones), and can make HUGE power (that Ferrari wasn't a 'LS'). I might see them as a good option for some other stuff (they seem to be a very popular "swap" candidate - people are putting them in everything).

If we were to be very honest, the concept of putting a Japanese engine in a Fiat really isn't that much different in some respects. But it just seems different somehow. Maybe a lot of it has to do with the execution; if he had done it with a more conservative set up and the engine was completely hidden under the stock hood, it might have been made to look a bit more appropriate (dressed in a more period correct appearance). I really didn't read the whole article but if I'm not mistaken there was mention that the car came to him (cheaply) without an engine/trans and it was really rough. I've seen other classic cars with very clean V8 swaps that worked well and did not seem all that inappropriate. The engine can be made to look more like it came that way. Much like some of the Italian bodied cars that used American power trains back in the day.

I recall several years ago there was a guy that acquired a really cheap Ferrari Dino. This was back when the Dino wasn't considered to be a "real" Ferrari and they had no market value (funny how things change). It had a grenaded engine/trans and the cost to replace them was not worth it. Plus those Dino's were a lot like the X1/9, very underpowered for the type of car. He swapped in the powertrain from a Subaru (mid-engine). It was well executed and for the power/weight ratio vastly superior to the original engine (again, much like the common X1/9 swaps).

Ever notice it's the drag racing guys that often do the most outlandish stuff like this Ferrari (in the earlier photo)? Maybe that's one reason I've never been into the drag racing scene.

In regards to the swapping of engines I am good with the ones that are similar inchracter to the original engine.

The Honda’s in general are good swaps, high revving, lower torque. The Toyota swap I am researching/pursuing is another I like.

I can imagine a number of others that would be appropriate or even a bit out there (turbo Ecotec).

I had thought about the Mazda families of engines as a possible solution (the Miata engine isn’t bad but I don’t quite love it). I have a love for the small V6 but it would be a difficult fit.

I do really love the Lampredi, I am just always so on it when I am in traffic. A 124 Spider driver commented how I was hard to keep up with on a recent drive with our local club.

Maybe it’s just me and my fat right foot that’s the issue.

Hell the getrag f23 five speed is made in Italy!!!
I believe Getrag transmissions are from Germany. However I'm sure they may have assembly facilities or even manufacturing plants in Italy. However the design and engineering would still be German. And in my opinion that is better.

And to go full circle, BMW installed GM transmissions in some of their US spec models. ;)

It is amazing how many car manufacturers are sharing systems these days. Lots of cross built products out there. I guess they have decided to follow profit rather than try to keep everything in-house or proprietary. Yet so many of them continue to design things containing proprietary components.

Nice work! What do you use to dye/paint the dash? There's only one brand of vinyl paint I've seen locally - SEM - I think - didn't hold up over time for me when I changed a set of beige Volvo door cards to black back in the early 90's.

This looks a touch iffy though -

index.php

- all the load will be on that one point where the mount is bolted through the plate. Can't you make a "U" section to cup the rod end & spread the load more evenly? I would say that if your motor develops decent torque, that isn't going to hold up in current form, or is this a previously tried and true design for you?.

I with Huss on this mount. Although most of the load is likely to be in line with the mount, and therefore not pulling it to the sides (twisting) too much. But the plate seems just a bit thin. Maybe even a bend along the top of the plate to give it some stiffness? Not criticizing at all, your work is amazing (and fast). Hoping you are willing to come take care of a bunch of my stuff before it all just evaporates from age (my work is very slow).

I really wasn't sure I could be impressed beyond SteveC or TonyK but here I am. If the stars were aligned and you three were on the same soil stuff could really get done. Endless possibilities. Great work

Last edited:
I'm sure we all have our own talents. My biggest drawbacks are the lack of space and proper equipment.

That TB adapter was made using a hand drill, a hole saw and an old 20 dollar yard sale 10" table saw. I swapped the wood cutting blade for a chop saw blade... Very labor intensive. I've actually cut 1/2' plate with it. Slow as hell.

That's about my "machine" tool equipment level also :D

What blade did you use for steel? I've looked at ferrous metal blades to use with my table saw, and they aren't cheap at all. I've cut aluminum with my chop saw and table saw with the standard blades they came with.

Probably the most versatile cutting tool I've found for most metals and cut shapes is the vertical band saw with a bimetal blade.

Probably the most versatile cutting tool I've found for most metals and cut shapes is the vertical band saw with a bimetal blade.

Indeed. Great if one has the space and/or $$$$ to invest in one :D .

Jokes aside, I use the one at my local machine shop if I can't find a way to deal.

Back when I wanted to get a vertical band saw, I wasn't in a position to buy a nice high-end model. Researched it a bit and ended up buying a really cheap wood band saw on sale. The main difference is the blade speed. So I swapped the V-belt pulleys with ones from the local hardware store - biggest one I could fit on one end and smallest I fit on the other. Used my portable tach to clock the blade speed and it fell within the range of those for metal cutting. Bought a bimetal blade to fit it and been using it successively for years. Total cost was under $300 if I remember correctly.

Back