Removing the head

Good news. When you say they 'looked at it" do you mean that literally, or that they checked it with the approriate straight edge for true :D?

You are planning on doing the vale seals yourself at this point? You really, really don't want to skip out on doing that at this stage, no matter if they 'look' good or not. A Valve spring compressor will be required, as mentioned earlier.

Small thing, but it's easier to 'read' your pics if you rotate them on your phone before uploading them :)
I upload my pics and some just rotate on their own. I will pay more attention to the orientation of them.
Going to look for a spring compression tool today.
I have the new seals from MWB so I planned on doing it. Just don’t know if I can do it.
The guys that looked at the head had something that looked like a carpenter’s square but adjustable. I hope they know the tolerances of our engines.
Anyway, going to keep cleaning and repairing slowly.
Cleaned the valve box and the head this morning. I love those magnets but after the cleaning I used cardboard to hold them in and took the magnets out. Worked great!!!
Thanks,
Mike

Probably a good idea to lap the valves at this point too, but it's not a necessity. At least look at the valve seats and edges for pits. If you do lap the valves you will likely need to adjust the valve lash.

I am going to take the valve springs out to change the valve seals. However, I have watched YouTube videos on how to change the seals and am confused as to how to take out the valve springs on the 1.5l engine. The valve springs I saw all has a two piece part that had to be taken out by a magnet and put back in prior to releasing the spring compressor. I don’t see that two piece part on the 1.5l valves.
So, how do I take out the valve springs?
Mike

It will be the same. The 2 little pieces that lock the spring retainer to the valve stem are known as "keepers". You can't really see them until you compress the spring which lowers the retainer, exposing them.

It will be the same. The 2 little pieces that lock the spring retainer to the valve stem are known as "keepers". You can't really see them until you compress the spring which lowers the retainer, exposing them.
Pete,
I finally was able to pull out the service manual and on page 7 there they were in the exploded view, #5 cotter. I have heard them called keepers in the videos but the manual has them labeled as cotters. It looks like they go in with the narrow side down. This looks very complicated. I hope I am up to the task.
I am going to get a spring compressor tomorrow and hope I know how to use it. With you and the service manual I hope to be able to replace the valve seals.

I am nervous at this point. I have never been this deep in an engine before. I just hope that I am up to the task. After this is said and done party at my house for anyone who wants to make the trip.
Mike

just be sure the keepers are well seated when you are done, (if not you will float a valve)

you can tap on the valve with a hammer, (actually open the valve a little bit, if the keepers are not set they will fall out at this point), (better to have it happen now with no damage)

just take your time, it's not rocket science.

Happy holidays everybody. Hope all is well.
I removed the first valve spring and valve from the head. The valve seal just fell apart. Now, I can’t get the valve seal out. How in the world does that come out???

Mike
F4EA0F6C-7029-469C-A364-19DB7A5B1153.jpeg
D5667FEF-4C00-4580-B507-366D97998662.jpeg
7CDA0C5D-C99C-40DA-B0B2-A3BFE1654E73.jpeg

Happy holidays everybody. Hope all is well.
I removed the first valve spring and valve from the head. The valve seal just fell apart. Now, I can’t get the valve seal out. How in the world does that come out???

Mike
View attachment 28134 View attachment 28135 View attachment 28136

It's just stuck on there the way an old fuel hose sticks to a carburetor nipple. Either manhandle it off of there with vice grips, or use solvents like PB Blaster to help dissolve the bond.

Exist like special pliers with rounded tips on end, but I offten use normal pliers and with some care is possible to remove old seals, just be carefuly with force if are pliers big to not damage or deform guide top

It's just stuck on there the way an old fuel hose sticks to a carburetor nipple. Either manhandle it off of there with vice grips, or use solvents like PB Blaster to help dissolve the bond.
I will try to pry it out with some vis grips (needle nose type). Didn’t know if I would dork up the valve guide. I will use care.
Thanks for clarifying.
Mike

Keep in mind it is pry off, not out. There is nothing down in the bore of the valve guide that needs removal aside from minor detritus.

Keep in mind it is pry off, not out. There is nothing down in the bore of the valve guide that needs removal aside from minor detritus.
Thanks!!! So, exert my semi-male dominance on it... got it. First, I have to ask my wife’s for my male dominance back for a day...lol

Have a wonderful Christmas, 3rd day of Hanukkah and Kwanzaa (I hope I didn’t leave a holiday out).

Mike
:)

Okay, I cannot for the life of me see what is the valve seal and the valve guide. I am afraid that I am going to ruin the valve guide. Would someone please point out where I need to clamp on to pull the valve seal out?
Thanks,
Mike
234B62FA-475B-4035-B2A6-BEF80B7CF4AB.jpeg

The seal is that crappy sleeve over the metal guide sleeve (metal tube, basically), that is completely worn-out - there should be a collar with a spring on it at the tip, take a look at the new ones to compare. You need to grab it externally & twist it off , don't use anything in the bore - that you don't want to scratch or score.

Okay, I cannot for the life of me see what is the valve seal and the valve guide. I am afraid that I am going to ruin the valve guide. Would someone please point out where I need to clamp on to pull the valve seal out?
Thanks,
Mike
View attachment 28169

It might be helpful to disassemble the other 7 springs (keep the springs and all parts in order, obviously, you do not want to swap them around). You might find one of the other ones are a bit less crusty and will come apart into the pieces you want. That way you can see what's what.

It might be helpful to disassemble the other 7 springs (keep the springs and all parts in order, obviously, you do not want to swap them around). You might find one of the other ones are a bit less crusty and will come apart into the pieces you want. That way you can see what's what.
Pete,
Thank you... I will start to do that as soon as I have more time.
Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.

Mike

Back