K20 project off to a good start, volume 2

Hmm, that is interesting. I looked at my coupler and cannot see how it would do that unless the whole thing collapsed down quite a bit. Since it is already welded on, I will just go with it, but will keep an eye on it. Thanks.

There's basically three layers. The inner & outer mesh, and a metal corrugation in the middle. The inner mesh will push/bow inward over time. You won't be able to observe it. Hopefully it won't happen in any meaningful way as for as long as you own it :D

There's basically three layers. The inner & outer mesh, and a metal corrugation in the middle. The inner mesh will push/bow inward over time. You won't be able to observe it. Hopefully it won't happen in any meaningful way as for as long as you own it :D
Well since I am just going to keep it in a big glass case, it won’t get much driving time. :D

two options:

1. since you're already an experienced welder, cut that out and put in the recommended expansion thingy. done.
2. ignore it and remove the exhaust from the header back. get one of those USB cameras and see if there is an issue. if it bulges as Hussein says, do #1.

If it was me I'd do #2, but I think you should do #1 so your project is delayed by another 2 weeks which makes me feel less of a slacker :)

I did a little internet research on how the flex joints fail and it seems like the mesh can rust and then break loose from the end. This would then allow the mesh to expand as Hussein says. Since mine is stainless, I would think rust would not be an issue for a long time. Plus it is mileage related. This car will probably be driven less than 2,500 miles a year so I cannot imagine this part failing in my lifetime. I’m going with option #2, so get off your duff and get your car done so we can go for a drive together.:cool: The weather is getting nice here in the NW.

Worked on the tail pipe section today. Lots of trial fitting and cutting a little at a time. I used a 2.5" radius 90 degree elbow for the part that comes out the cutout in the lower fender. I used a 3.5" radius 90 degree elbow that I cut in the middle of the bend to get two 45 degree bends out of it. Thanks to TonyK's suggestions about getting the fit really tight so that you can weld it with no filler. I did need to use a little bit here and there, but not much. I found that 35 amps worked well on my machine to get a nice puddle quickly that blended both sides of the joint. Again, back purged to prevent sugaring. I could peer down the pipe with a flashlight and saw that I got a nice smooth joint on the inside. :)
IMG_0018.JPG

I've been continuing on with the exhaust. I got the tailpipe connected to the muffler and then worked on getting the hangers attached so the exhaust system would be located correctly and the tailpipe centered in the fender cutout. What makes it even more challenging is the three springs on each side and figuring out the right position for the hangers so the tension on the springs would be correct. I just tacked them in a couple of spots and then tried it in. I got lucky as it only took me a couple of tries until I got it pretty good. Here is the result.
Exhaust assembly 12.JPG
Exhaust assembly 13.JPG

The last step is to fit the 90 degree elbow to connect it to the header.

I've been continuing on with the exhaust. I got the tailpipe connected to the muffler and then worked on getting the hangers attached so the exhaust system would be located correctly and the tailpipe centered in the fender cutout. What makes it even more challenging is the three springs on each side and figuring out the right position for the hangers so the tension on the springs would be correct. I just tacked them in a couple of spots and then tried it in. I got lucky as it only took me a couple of tries until I got it pretty good. Here is the result.
View attachment 20314 View attachment 20315
The last step is to fit the 90 degree elbow to connect it to the header.
As with all other aspects of this build, it's beautifully executed...and I would venture to guess that luck had nothing to do with it!

Oh this guy has been lucky every step of the way, no skill or ability to plan whatsoever.

I do wonder if you will be revisiting the size of the muffler as it may be a triffle loud.

I do wonder if you will be revisiting the size of the muffler as it may be a triffle loud.
I sure hope not but it’s kind of a crap shoot, I guess. I went with the generic oval Magnaflow muffler that MWB suggests in their build info plus I added the cat to try and quiet it some more. I also tried to maximize the length of the system although I don’t know if that makes much difference. There really isn’t much room for a larger muffler anyway. Although a dual outlet exhaust looks cooler, I stayed away from it based on MWB’s comments that it tends to drone more at certain rpms than a single outlet.

I like being wrong :)

Yes a wider muffler would drive sharper bends to try to work in the available space which would be neither fun nor enhance performance.

Looks great in any case.

Finished up the exhaust system. :D Glad to have that behind me. This was the part of the build that I stressed about the most as I figured I would have needed to try and find someone to build it for me. I don't see how someone else could do it remotely as there are a couple of times where the system needs to be tacked together while on the car, so I would have had to either find someone who could bring their equipment to my house, or trailer the car to them. Learning to TIG weld was the best decision. Now I have a new skill, plus the pride of doing it myself. :) I just need to put in the exhaust bay insulation and put the exhaust in for good. Once that is done, I just need to fill the coolant system, put in some gas and turn the key. If it doesn't start, I will probably hurt myself. :( Here are some pics.
Exhaust assembly 16.JPG
Exhaust assembly 17.JPG
Exhaust assembly 18.JPG
Exhaust assembly 22.JPG
Exhaust assembly 19.JPG
Exhaust assembly 20.JPG
Exhaust assembly 21.JPG

Last edited:
Very Sweet. Do not hurt yourself if it doesn't immediately start. Not starting is a habit with Fiats, whether they have a heart from Italy, or from Japan. Once they are running, the frustration melts away, and all the trials and tribulations are worth it!

Nice work! Looks really tidy :)

Have you been turning the motor over by hand every once in a while? If not, it wouldn't hurt to drop a little ATF into the bores & manually crank the motor to make sure it turns freely before you (try to) fire it up...

Nice work! Looks really tidy :)

Have you been turning the motor over by hand every once in a while? If not, it wouldn't hurt to drop a little ATF into the bores & manually crank the motor to make sure it turns freely before you (try to) fire it up...
I have cranked it a couple of times, just to check my wiring to the starter. Sounded fine.

Hey Rodger

Did you ever record what dimensions the bolts are to retain the brackets to the block - I see there are some that need to be pretty long.

It looks like they are all M12x1.25, except the 3 for the front engine mount, which look like M10.

I have cranked it a couple of times, just to check my wiring to the starter. Sounded fine.

Yeah you cant go wrong with them Magnaflows... If I hadn't gone turbo, I would have probably done a similar system. Turbocharging eats up most of the exhaust note hence my lunchbox style "SpinTech" muffler setup. The backfires do sound cool though!

Build looks amazing. LIKE YOUR ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Originally had a Thrush that kept eating itself and attracting Popo like ants to picnic. Had to add a Flex pipe to stop the destruction. I now have the same Magnaflow on mine and it allows you to talk in the cockpit to a passenger without having to yell. Think you'll find it will do fine.

Hey Rodger

Did you ever record what dimensions the bolts are to retain the brackets to the block - I see there are some that need to be pretty long.

It looks like they are all M12x1.25, except the 3 for the front engine mount, which look like M10.
Unfortunately, I did not write down the various sizes. Yes, the bolts that go into the same holes as the original Honda/Acura engine mount holes were all M12x1.25. The front ones and the ones that used to be used for the stock AC compressor mounting are M10.

Build looks amazing. LIKE YOUR ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Originally had a Thrush that kept eating itself and attracting Popo like ants to picnic. Had to add a Flex pipe to stop the destruction. I now have the same Magnaflow on mine and it allows you to talk in the cockpit to a passenger without having to yell. Think you'll find it will do fine.
That's great to know that you are happy with the Magnaflow. I should find out soon as I may try to start it tomorrow.

Back