Fiat X1/9 euro bumper conversion brackets

Hi Kai. Nice to hear from you. I think you were the one I air-freighted a set of brackets to back in the fall. Hope it worked out okay for you. I remember getting the air freight bill - was way more than I charged you.

I remember my bill was supposed to include customs clearances and fees but not duties and taxes. Never heard from you again and always wondered what happened at your end. A bit of googling indicated Norway has a whopping 25 % federal sales tax. Wow. Here it is 13% and I thought that was high. Did you get hit with that ? And any duties or other fees the couriers or governments like to invent. I was kinda afraid to ask you, but if now you want another set maybe it wasn't too bad !!

I have actually now sold all brackets from the original batch - thanks folks - but still had some components that were never assembled at the time. I have just now assembled the last few sets and have sent them off to the welding shop. When back, they will only need cleaning and touch-ups and painting. Should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks.

So Kai, if you want another set, no problem. Just PM me and we will work out the best shipping method for both of us.

Hi Grant. Read above regarding availability. I would need your zip code for a shipping quote. But expect it would be about $30 - $35. And that would include all customs clearances, duties, and fees. I know how to ship the U.S. and can assure you they will arrive at your door with no extra charges !!

Cheers, Doug

Hi thank you for your thoughts .
I was hit by 25% tax, and charges from a shipping agent. Do not remember exactly the total. But we live in a expensive country.

Do yo have a another batch coming??
Would be nice if people posted their result here.
I needed a light mod to the pipes for fitting but it made it a lot easier for this conversion.

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to Doug on the forum rather than just through PM's.

Doug moved very quickly to get a set of brackets to me whilst I was in NY last week so that I could save on shipping costs to the UK.

The brackets arrived as promised and are spot on. Thoroughly recommend Doug and his brackets to anyone considering this conversion.

Looking to mod bumpers on my 81 x19

Those bumpers look nice, new member 81 x19 looking to mod where can I find them or similar

Options

Hi Dreadnaught. Welcome to the forum. Great to see I'm now not the only member here from Mississauga !! I'm in Meadowvale area. Where are you ?

Yes you have lots of options. Depends on your personal taste - and the depth of your pockets.. In no particular order:

Kraus bumpers. Available from Fiat Plus. http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/19845/

Midwest blades and blocks: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/17712/

'74 bumpers. 1974 only, North America only, came with bumpers similar to - but totally different - the euro bumpers. Not too tough to find if you look around. For example : http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/21688/ . Problem here is that these bumpers will NOT bolt onto your '81. The mounting points on the chassis are totally different. A couple of years back a member here (Rturchan) made a batch of special brackets to allow them to bolt right on. However I believe they have all been sold and he has no plans to make another batch. There was some talk here last fall that another member was going to make another batch but I have heard nothing more.

Fiberglass replica euro bumpers. Available from CASCU in England http://www.cascu.co.uk/X19.htm . But these apparantly have no mounting provisions and members here have reported they take a lot of work to finish nicely and to fit.
But a member here (Ricardo Borja) is now making them stateside. Very nicely made. I think he will sell you a complete set with fitting brackets. http://trazia.com/x19/bumpers-fb.htm

Real euro bumpers. As supplied on all X1/9s outside North America from '73 to '78. Made of steel with rubber blocks. Getting a bit tough - and pricy - to obtain over here, but can be found. Often pop up for sale on this forum - for example http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/21474/
or can be found from time to time on Ebay UK, Ebay germany, and Ebay france. Just keep looking and you will find some.

Only problem here - well aside from the $$$ - is that - like the '74 bumpers - the euro bumpers will NOT bolt onto your '81. If you are handy with a welder and are good at fabricating stuff, I suppose you could modify your existing bumper shocks and make some brackets to get them to fit. Or take the easy way and just buy my conversion brackets and bolt them on.

Other members here have also modified the '75 to '78 US bumpers to a single rail setup. Or "tucked" their later bumpers. Or made their own from steel or even PVC tubing.

Lots of choices. In case you are not too familiar with this forum yet, there is a "search" function on the main page. Just type in "euro bumpers" or "bumper mod" or "bumper blades" and you will learn lots. Or just google "Fiat X1/9 euro bumpers" for more info and pics.

Hope this has been of some use to you. Cheers, Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they are finally available.

These special brackets are for mounting 73-78 euro spec. bumpers on later model ('79 up) X1/9s. A simple bolt on solution. No cutting - no welding - no drilling. They simply bolt on in minutes. I think they should also work on 75-78 U.S. spec. models, but I have not yet tried. Of course all X1/9s from '79 on worldwide shared the same bumpers and mounts.

They will NOT work with the '74 U.S. spec. bumpers. Although the bumpers look similar, they are in fact completely different in their mounts.

Fitting the euro spec. bumpers is not as easy as you would think. Although the bumpers fit over the outer bodywork fine, the mounting points on the early euro chassis are totally different and thus the euro brackets cannot be used (I know, I bought some and tried). Nor could they be modified to fit.

I finally concluded that the only way was to design and fabricate some new brackets from scratch. I decided to make a few extra copies to try to recoup some of my expenses.

They basically bolt on in place of the existing bumper shocks.

Tubes are sturdy 14 gauge 409 stainless steel.

Plates are laser cut 1/4" thick steel. The programming and set-up charges were quite substantial - especially since I had to re-do them several times to get it right.

After finally perfecting a set of prototypes, then a jig was made for each of the 4 brackets so that totally accurate finished products could be reproduced.

Epoxy paint coated - 3 coats - black satin

These brackets simply bolt on to the stock euro bumpers using their existing captive nuts. Note that the mounting holes on my brackets are slotted to allow adjustment while fitting - as I'm sure that not all X1/9 chassis and bumpers are exactly alike.

I have read complaints about the design of the original euro brackets. Look closely at the original and you will see that the rubber bumper blocks are - especially in the front - quite inboard of the bumper mounts and not at all supported by the original brackets. Any impact - which is most likely to be taken by the block - apparantly results in the inner ends of the bumper folding in and crushing the nose sheetmetal. Note I have extended the bracket to support the block as well. This should cure that flaw.....but I don't think I'd want to be the one to test it out....
I have tried to design - the fronts at least - so that in a minor impact the bracket will just bend and absorb most of the impact.

Because my brackets simply bolt on in minutes and require absolutely no alterations to the stock chassis or bodywork, you could - although I don't know why you would want to - revert back to the stock bumpers at any time. I seem to have this strange belief that it's okay to modify or update or backdate my X - as long as it is reversible.

Anyway, I have made up a few extra sets because I know that there are a bunch of you out there who have acquired some euro bumpers but can't quite figure out how to mount them.

They are finished and ready to ship.

Although the finished product looks pretty simple, believe me it was anything but ! Try bending 1/4" steel. The tubes had to be hydraulically reduced in diameter at both ends - differently - so that the big rubber grommets would fit into the tubes openings......

I went to a great deal of trouble - and expense - to try do everything right. I have made the brackets as inconspicous as possible. Tubing is stainless steel. Paint is 3 coats of automotive chassis epoxy. I had them professionally welded. The large mounting holes were done precisely at a machine shop on a large milling machine. All needed nuts, bolts, and washers are included and are zinc plated grade 8.8 . The nuts and bolts are the type with integral serrated washer. Sticky pads are 3M automotive grade.

Although I was able to do most of the work myself, it still involved about 10 different outside suppliers and subcontractors. By the time I figured out just how involved the the project was, I was too far along to back out, so I forged ahead and completed one batch. I'm telling you this to explain why this will most likely be a one-time only batch. I hope I made enough to cover demand.

So if you want some, I would suggest you order them before they are gone. Fair warning.

Set of 4 brackets, complete with neccessary bolts, nuts, washers :

Only $199 Canadian or U.S.$ plus shipping.

For those of you overseas, I would require Paypal payment in Canadian $. For England, I think this works out to about 125 pounds. For Europe, this is about 140 euros. For Australia, I think our dollars are close to par.

Please post here or PM me for a shipping quote and Paypal info.

Please fell free to post any questions or comments.

Thanks, Doug

X19_469.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Hi Can you please quote for brackets with freight to auckland nz

PMs sent

Hi Paul1731, and Godspeed. I sent PMs to both of you. If they went astray, just post here. Thanks, Doug

Update

Hi folks. As of this date (May 26, 2014), I no longer have any brackets available for sale. I would like to extend a huge thanks to all who have supported this project. It was kinda fun and very gratifying to receive so many positive responses.

In actual fact I still have 3 sets remaining, but they are not for sale. One set has been set aside at the request of a forum member.

A couple of years back I purchased a set of rough but solid euro bumpers. A year or so ago I managed to find a much nicer set. Then a really nice set became available and I couldn't resist buying them too.....Along the way I also managed to collect an extra set of rubber blocks as well. Current plan is to refinish all 3 sets, keep one set for myself, and sell the remaining 2 sets. Thus I have kept 2 sets of brackets aside to be able to sell them as a complete package of blades and blocks and brackets. It will be a couple of months before that happens.

At this point in time, I have no definate plans to make any more bracket sets. After an initial rush, sales have slowed to a trickle. I have received a lot of inquiries from people that didn't follow through. I have no more components, and to make any more bracket sets I would have to make a batch.

I have learnt that the laser place that cut the flanges will be shutting down in the next month or so. He still has the program on file (a big deal) to be able to cut some more. I am wavering on whether or not to have one last batch cut before he shuts down.

So....I guess this is a bit of a "gauging interest out here" request. Perhaps you are a new member who is seeing these brackets for the first time. Perhaps you've been looking for euro bumpers but haven't found any yet. Perhaps you would really like some in the future but not right now. Perhaps.....

If...there is still some interest out there, please post here - or just PM me if you are shy. If no interest, I'll just let it go....and there will be no more.

Even if I get the flanges cut now, it would be several months before finished product would be available. The flanges would need be be bent, tubes sourced and ends resized, welding, painting, etc. If you are desperate for a set, perhaps post here. Maybe someone who bought a set when they first became available has had a change in plans and would be willing to re-sell them.

Thanks again folks. Cheers, Doug

Need those conversion brackets - badly

Hi all,

I am in the process of restoring a 1980 X1/9 and I have my mind set on converting the bumpers to the old style.
I already had a good look at what needs to be converted, but this solution seems like the perfect one for me. However, when I read there are no more sets available, I was gutted (adding a bit of drama here :)).

So: Who has had second thoughts about his/her conversion and is willing to sell his brackets to me?

*Doug: what would it take to convince you to create a few more?

Hoping for the best :eek:mg:

Hans

I'm interested

I would be very interested in a set as well. Also the bumpers if you have a set to part with.

Hi folks.

Hans: Firstly, a hearty welcome to the forum. Wonderful to see another european member. If you acquired an '80 RHD euro-spec X1/9, you are a lucky man. Mechanically, the best of all X1/9s. A simple carbed 85 hp and a 5 speed. Pity about those huge bumpers though.....

I sure hope someone here posts or PMs you with a set of brackets they want to part with.

As for me making some more sets....well....I was kinda keen to make another batch. But...it's been over 3 months since I asked if there was any more interest. Until you and Rodger posted a couple of days ago, I had not received a single sign of interest from the forum or via PM.

Despite the lack of interest, I was still mulling over the decision whether to make any more or not. Which I know sounds like a financial folly. But strangely enough, before I made the first batch, I posted my plans to see if there was any interest then. I received only one very tentative reply. I wanted a set badly for my own car so I went ahead anyway. When I announced finished product for sale, I got a great response and sold quite a few sets. Go figure....

But another batch now ? Sadly, it would seem to be not feasible. With all the set-ups and places involved, I'd have to make a decent sized batch to make it worthwhile. Reckon pretty much anyone who wants a set has already bought them.

And I haven't checked with the laser place lately to see if they still have the program and if they have sold off their machines and closed up yet. It would be about a grand up front just to buy the steel and have the flanges cut.....

I have PM'd Rodger. Looks like he is buying one of my sets of used euro bumpers as-is. I had set aside a set of new brackets to go with them, so he is okay. I still have one extra set of used euro bumpers and a new set of brackets for them as well. When/if I refinish those bumpers I'll sell them as a package.

Thanks again for all your support. Now can someone please help out Hans.

Cheers, Doug

Please Post the File

It would be a good idea to get the file that your shop uses and post it here for future Xers to use

Well, I'd love to find a set of these brackets if anyone has them. :)
Or, if I could get the files, I'd have a batch made up myself...

Anyone?

Hi Phill. Thanks for the inquiry. Yes, I was the one who made the bracket kits about 5 years ago. That batch took about 1 1/2 years to sell and re-coup my costs.

Due to a bunch of factors like purchasing materials in bulk, minimum orders at the laser place, and tube re-sizing set-ups, it is not feasible to make a set or two. Gotta make a large batch at once. With a significant $$ outlay.

When my initial batch sold out, I asked if there was any interest in another batch. And got zero response. Even after a few years now, only a couple more signs of any interest. The laser place that cut the main pieces has closed down. I would have to start from scratch and get new ones programmed.

Although I still have the plans and the jigs for welding them together, and would love to make another batch, sadly it is well down on my priority list. I have to finish another couple of exciting X projects first........

Doug

Back